<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Manchukuo Type 93 Armored Car

January 3 2016 at 11:06 PM
BrianHammerhand 

Fairy Kikaku released a puzzling armored car kit. Kit 72016 – Manchukuo Type 93 Armored Car. The assembly paper lists “Daido” but I believe it should be “Dowa” automotive 同和自動車工業) since I can find no example of a "Daido" automotive factory in Manchukuo. It sports a mounted 37mm gun (assume a Type 94 37 mm Anti-Tank Gun?) in the passgenger's side. This is unusual since most Japanese (or Manchukuo) armored cars had only machine guns mounted.

Any more information on this armored car? Chassis? Engine? Armor thickness? Armament?

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
BrianHammerhand

Full size

January 3 2016, 11:11 PM 

Respond to this message   
nuyt

Daido Steel?

January 4 2016, 1:17 PM 

Respond to this message   
nuyt

By the way

January 4 2016, 8:03 PM 

there is a picture in George Forty's Armoured Cars of a Nationalist Chinese, former Shanghai Volunteer's 4x4 armoured car in 1945, very similar...

Respond to this message   
Akira Takizawa

Re: Manchukuo Type 93 Armored Car

January 5 2016, 4:56 AM 

I upload another photo.

[linked image]

There is no information about this vehicle. It seems to be based on Type 94 6-wheeled truck, but not for sure.

It is usual that Fairy Kikaku makes up information for their models. Type 93 is nonsense, because the Manchukuo Army never used Japanese calender designation. Daido will be also a fudge by them.

Taki

Respond to this message   
BrianHammerhand

Appreciate it guys! Second photo the same?

January 6 2016, 5:12 PM 

Thanks Nuyt and Taki - I had seen that other photo previously (Chiyoda/QSW style). but notice the grille in this photo from Taki is not heavily sloped as in the model and photo from Fairy Kikaku (which is sloped like the grille of a BA-20), so not sure why they would have this upgright grille and then a sloped one. Different vehicles of Manchukuo?

Respond to this message   
Akira Takizawa

Re: Appreciate it guys! Second photo the same?

January 7 2016, 5:03 AM 

The following Manchukuo armored car resembles that of the photo of Fairy Kikaku. But, it is 4-wheeled and different vehicle.

[linked image]

I think that Fairy Kikaku thought the vehicle of their photo is Manchukuo version of Navy Type 93 Armored Car and made up their model.

Taki

Respond to this message   
nuyt

Forty

January 7 2016, 9:00 AM 

Thanks Taki, that's the picture that's also in Forty's book as "nationalist cars". BUt I guess you are right. Nevertheless an interesting vehicle!

Respond to this message   
Akira Takizawa

Re: Forty

January 7 2016, 10:41 AM 

The pic is linked from the following page.

http://www.horae.dti.ne.jp/~fuwe1a/newpage417.html

It is the page of Manchukou Army.

Taki

Respond to this message   
nuyt

Interesting

January 8 2016, 10:33 AM 

They came with two different turrets... and there were at least 4 (3 on the first pic and the one with the different turret)....

Respond to this message   
BrianHammerhand

Great!

March 10 2016, 4:10 PM 

Ah this indeed looks like it Taki, thank you

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement