Think in terms of rights, not cards...

by Tsitshoh (Login tsitshoh)

She:kon!

If a Jr. B team wants to keep a player, but not use up one of their team allotted cards, they can assign that player to their affiliate(s).  They would still hold the player's B rights.  If the player wanted a release, they can ask for it, but the Jr B team can set conditions on that release, which effectively makes it a trade for a year.   A second release of the player to the same receiving team makes that unconditional and when you are in a 'city, town, police village or rural district' loaded with talent, you don't want to give away anything for free.  Junior lacrosse is a business and players are the commodities used to create a product.  Altruism only goes so far.  For example, if I wanted a player to develop I could send him to another Jr. B for a year to play at that level.  Happens all the time.  But I digress.

The interesting wrinkle is this:

-------

R6.14(a)
July 2nd shall be the final date for signing or releasing players except that players released from any team on or before July 2nd may be signed in the same category (Jr. A to Jr. A, Jr. B to Jr. B etc.) before July 15th. No further releases shall be allowed after July 2nd, until January 15th of the following year.

R6.14(b)
Up to July 15th, Junior players released prior to July 2nd may re-sign with the same team, or if that team has its limit of twenty-three signed, the player may sign with the next nearest team which has fewer than the permitted number signed, and for which he is eligible. All players being signed to a new team under this rule would remain the property of that team. The player could not be released or traded back the following year.
NOTE: Players released prior to June 1st would be exempted from this rule and would be eligible to return to their previous team in the following season, if released conditionally.

-------

Jr teams have until July 2nd to sign or release players, by which time the Jr. B season is practically over (final regular season game is June 19th).  Now, ignoring all the other possibilities, the Jr. B team holds that players rights until then and they can release him or sign him.  Anything before that becomes, more or less, a trade.  Now if I was a GM in this situation, and I wanted to keep players around just-in-case AND the players wanted to stay around just-in-case, no one is going to be seeking any release to go to the next 'city, town, police village or rural district.' 

Because, there is always next year you see. wink.gif

I am not party to the all the details of this particular event, just my take on it generally.

Skennen

...Tsitshoh...

Posted on May 3, 2012, 10:15 AM
from IP address 198.103.152.52

Respond to this message

Return to Index
Responses

1. Twitter & FB reports. USLax, May 3, 2012, 10:56 AM
  2. Re: Think in terms of rights, not cards.... PCO6, May 3, 2012, 11:49 AM
    1. I dunno.... Tsitshoh, May 3, 2012, 12:52 PM
      1. Re: I dunno.... PCO6, May 3, 2012, 1:47 PM
        1. The other affiliate is Clarington Shamrocks. neverlaxed, May 3, 2012, 1:52 PM
    2. Most will report. USLax, May 3, 2012, 12:53 PM
    3. Re: Think in terms of rights, not cards.... neverlaxed, May 3, 2012, 1:49 PM