Otherwise a legitimate read...
1) The Cougars have not been mediocre since 2002 (very kind indeed), they have been dismal.
2) However by my, and debateably other's, definition, the Bloozers have been worse as they have had the horses (on paper) and expectation to actually be able to do something. I still say it is much more painful to have a team that is supposed to do something that falls on their face(see Bloozers last year, the Blades of the last couple of years, and, uggg...this hurts, the Cougars of 99/00 I believe) than to have little to no expectations and meet or well exceed them (see Cougars of 2007).
3) C'mon now, this is Edmonton's very first expectation of ANYTHING since their inception and they could easily get knocked out in the first round with their lack of playoff experience...so could the Bloozers...now THAT would be epic failure
4) This many young guys? Potentially yes. Great cycles have been started in the past by this kind of movement. Will it here? Tell you in 2-5 years (hopefully 5 years
) What I do know is that there is no room for hyperbole and the Cougars (IMHO) have NEVER PROPERLY re-built...not even once...in their entire time here. You could debate that for the 1995-96 team BUT it was still "rejects", reclamation projects, cast-off, and unexpected lottery winners.
This appears actually strategic to me...again...for the first time. Again, will it work? We can answer that in 2 years...start to question it even next year...I, for one am anticipating the journey.
5) Sorry but I would doubt the apathy statement...this team has had a very healthy compete level all year IMO.
6) Agreed with Portland except they were worse than PG for a while and were able to draft higher to capture many superstar draft picks. I would debate with you that they are on the edge of "dissappointing" performance when it counts in the last couple of years...and, especially, this year.
7) Definitely more dead horse beating here but done in a refreshingly different way
Again, IMHO a big point regular season means nothing to me if you choke in the playoffs...in fact, it is worse.
Here's to a strong finish for a young team that really deserves the "reward" of a potential first round exit...that being said, if it is the Bloozers...