LeverageDecember 17 2009 at 2:32 PM
|Tom (Login Roveri)|
Response to Coherency of Blake's Theory: Dragging, Transmitting, and Leverage
I think that Mindy's swing theory was built upon his mistaken assumption that "pressure" could be applied to the ball by the golfer during the brief impact phase of the swing. Everything in Mindy's Reflex Swing is geared toward his goal of applying pressure. The extreme forward positioning of the right elbow was supposed to connect the right arm to the body so that where the torso moved the arm would follow. And the torso was locked into the legs by the extremme open stance coupled with the twisting of the anecdotal "rubber brick" so that when the legs moved the torso moved.
Mindy tried to remove all slack from the swing so that when the ball was struck the full weight and momentum of the entire body would be applied to the ball. Mindy thought he could apply the principle of "force through distance" in his Reflex Swing. Force through distance is pressure. However, he was mistaken about the pressure notion. That being said, his positioning of body parts has nothing to do with applying pressure to the golf ball. There is no "dragging" of the club through the ball except perhaps as a feeling. Mindy transmitted energy to the ball the same way that everyone does, by clubhead speed.
One can find fault with Mindy's pressure theory but one can not deny the fact that he hit the ball very precisely in terms of direction and length. My inquiry has been into his incredible consistancy. I think that the Mike Douglas video shows that Mindy didn't swing quite like he describes his swing in his books. That suggests to me that if one carefully follows Mindy's written instructions one will not develop a Reflex Swing that looks like Mindy's swing. But what one retains from the books and what one disregards is anybody's guess.
- Re: Leverage - Snakedoc on Dec 17, 2009, 7:02 PM
- Dragging - Tom on Dec 17, 2009, 8:54 PM
- Re: Dragging - Snakedoc on Dec 18, 2009, 2:24 AM
- Mindy the Wizard - Tom on Dec 18, 2009, 2:41 AM
- Re: Mindy the Wizard - Snakedoc on Dec 19, 2009, 10:39 PM
- Mindy Blake, TGSoTF & Impact - Gran Smithies on May 16, 2010, 5:19 PM
- COAM - walt 22 on Jun 23, 2012, 7:59 AM
- Re: COAM - BobKy on Jun 29, 2012, 10:02 AM
- What is COAM - Ian Stokes on Aug 30, 2012, 5:20 PM
- COAM - Snakedoc on Sep 24, 2012, 11:51 AM