RETURN TO INDEX  

Mindy's Dead Horse

January 17 2011 at 6:38 PM
  (Login Snakedoc)
Blake Moderator Emeritus

Response to Pressure

Tom,
I expect you noticed that I didn't mention Blake's "pressure" notion among the three "big" ideas I listed. That's because I view it just as you do, ie, a dead horse requiring no further flogging.

Even idea #2, ie, relating to "connecting the lower and upper body," if such be possible, would not involve "pressure," ie, once the club is released in the downswing, the golfer's effort is complete and "pressure" cannot be operative beyond that point. However, even the great ball striker Ben Hogan thought the first part of the downswing to be powered by the hips and thighs. From his "Five Lessons":

"THE HIPS INITIATE THE DOWNSWING. They are the pivotal element in the chain action. Starting them first and moving them correctly--this one action practically makes the downswing. It creates early speed....This turning of the hips is activated by several sets of muscles which work together. THE CONTRACTED MUSCLES OF THE LEFT HIP AND THE MUSCLES ALONG THE INSIDE OF THE LEFT THIGH START TO SPIN THE LEFT HIP AROUND TO THE LEFT. AT ONE AND THE SAME TIME, THE MUSCLES OF THE RIGHT HIP AND THE MUSCLES OF THE RIGHT THIGH--BOTH THE INSIDE AND THE POWERFUL OUTSIDE THIGH MUSCLES--START TO MOVE THE RIGHT HIP FORWARD...What do the hands do? The answer is they do nothing active until after the arms have moved down on the the downswing to a position just above the level of the hips." [Upper case emphasis by Hogan in the "Five Lessons" original].

I suppose one could view this as Hogan's (mis?)interpretation of the "big muscle" golf swing theory, a theory which many swing analysts do NOT (yet) consider to be a dead horse. Jim

This message has been edited by Snakedoc on Jan 19, 2011 12:01 AM
This message has been edited by Snakedoc on Jan 18, 2011 11:17 AM

Respond to this message   
Responses

TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Here is a free (with ads) Spell Check page

Search:   for    

Translate This Forum

Â»

Need a free spelling checker add-on for Internet Explorer ? ieSpell ;After installing, just Right-Click on your message word and select Check Spelling. BobKy.

Hit Counter
Hit Counters

Mindy Blake Bio

Please visit our other golf forums. Bonar Swing Forum, Chazman Swing Forum and Haddix Swing Forum

Also, visit the Single-Axis Golf Forum