Respond to this messageRETURN TO INDEX
Original Message
  • Blake and Hogan (and Trevino)
    • Snakedoc (Login Snakedoc)
      Blake Moderator Emeritus
      Posted Jun 22, 2005 1:39 PM

Ron,

Re Richard's swing: he has the most repeating swing of any amateur I have observed. Note: I haven't seen Julian or Chris swing in person. He could easily make a living teaching golf. But he has a much more enviable job--traveling around the world developing golf resorts!

If you have GtTB you already know the following. About Hogan and Trevino Blake said:

"From the point of view of the reflex technique I have described, the methods employed by Ben Hogan and Lee Trevino cannot be considered 100 per cent pure. The wrists pronate slightly so, even if only to a minor extent, there has to be a hit with the hands, but fundamentally, both of them drag the club through the ball and this is the foundation of their success."

Though he was a modest man, he definitely thought his reflex swing represented a superior technique toward which modern golf was (slowly) evolving. IMO, Hogan and Trevino didn't 'hit with the hands' to any degree but rather they coordinated the use of lower and upper body energy.

Another interesting point: Re his grip Blake said, "This is the grip which javelin-throwers use. It is also the grip employed by Ben Hogan, probably the finest striker of the ball there has ever been." Hmmm. Hogan's grip was a quite neutral grip, Mindy's was stronger. However, on one particular aspect they are on the same page, ie, both thought the trail hand thumb and index finger should not apply any pressure to the club shaft.

Have fun with the reflex swing. SD
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Notice: This is a moderated forum. Your post will not show up until a moderator approves the message. If you regularly have full posting privileges, you may have to login first.