Respond to this messageRETURN TO INDEX
Original Message
  • How Lorena Does It
    • (Login Snakedoc)
      Blake Moderator Emeritus
      Posted Jul 29, 2008 12:56 AM

On the cover of Aug 08 Golf Digest: Lorena Ochoa: How does she do it? 5' 6", 127 lbs, 290 yards.

In her own words: "Launch it with your lower body. All the power in my golf swing comes from my hips and legs. My lower body is pretty fast. As long as I get the sequence right from the top, letting my legs and hips get a head start on the downswing, I can keep all the energy I have in my upper body and release it at the ball. You don't have to be big or swing crazy fast to hit it long. You just need to make a good turn going back, and let your lower body lead coming down, your legs and hips pulling everything through."

Reads somewhat Mindy-like, eh, especially where she says, "ALL THE POWER in my golf swing comes from my hips and legs," and "...your legs and hips PULLING EVERYTHING THROUGH." She says her lower body is "pretty fast". She goes on to say that you don't have to swing "crazy fast." However, the fact that she points out that her lower body is "pretty fast" suggests to me that she moves her lower body through at a fast pace, not the 'dinner table turn' that Richard Wax advocates. Could it be that, unknown to her, she is not powering her swing but it actually just clearing her hips with her lower body move? She has a nice looking swing with the 'idiosyncrasy' of a head tilt backwards as she starts her downswing. That tilt gives her a Jack Nicklaus look at impact. Could her head tilt have a purpose? A pictorial of her swing sequence is also in the Aug Golf Digest. SD
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Notice: This is a moderated forum. Your post will not show up until a moderator approves the message. If you regularly have full posting privileges, you may have to login first.