<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>RETURN TO INDEX  

Videos of My Version of the Golf Swing of the Future

May 31 2009 at 11:11 AM
  (Login jon_armstrong)

I got interested in golf in junior high. But at the time, I was short and rather small and was an awful golfer despite lessons and several summers hanging out at the Penn State Blue Course. A few years later, I was given Mindy Blake's Golf Swing of the Future. I remember heading to a grassy field nearby to give it a try. And I hit the best shot I ever had hit. It was high, straight, and floated back down to earth like the way the pros hit it. I promptly topped the next dozen as kept looking up early to see that beautiful sight again.

The next year we moved and my golfing ended, but I never forgot that one wonderful shot.

Many years later, my fiance bought me a set of clubs, and I've taken up golf and Mindy's swing again. After finding this forum, I purchased GTTB, and while I rarely play and barely get to the range, I have enjoyed a little more consistency and distance.

A week ago my dad recorded me at a range, and I've posed a few videos on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/JonArmstrongAuthor

Best,
Jon

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
cd
(Login birdbump)

By George

June 1 2009, 12:19 AM 

I think you've got it.

That looks like what I read about in GSOTF.

Do you think of trying his later refinements?

Respond to this message   

(Login jon_armstrong)

Getting there ...

June 1 2009, 10:12 AM 

Thanks, but there are many refinements needed. One thing: I have a tendency to shift my weight -- especially with the bigger clubs. And when I do, my hands come down first, instead of through. I push a lot of drives.

Respond to this message   

(Login Snakedoc)
Blake Moderator Emeritus

Re: Getting there ...

June 2 2009, 1:19 AM 

Jon,
Your motion looks smooth and impact sounds powerful. In your downswing is your feel that the club is being "dragged" down only by leg action, vice overt effort by your upper body? In other words, at top of backswing do you feel that any movement by your legs will "drag" the club down? Do you use a fixed grip instead of the grip change described by Mindy? Your open hips at address and their restricted movement in the backswing is very close to what Blake described in GTTB. Blake wrote of keeping his club "out in front of himself," ie, not bringing it well inside and around behind himself--is that what you feel in your backswing? I'd like to see exactly where your right elbow is at impact.

Thanks for placing your shots on youtube. Keep us apprised of your progress. Regards, Jim

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Re: Getting there ...

June 2 2009, 2:53 PM 

Jim,

Thanks for your comments!

There's no question that the feeling is that leg movement pulls my hands and arms. Even at address, I feel like I could barely move my arms back because of the tension from my legs and hips.

As for grip, I used a fixed one. I never "got" the concept of the grip change.

At address, I know I'm set when I feel like my head is behind the club, that it is, in some way, ahead of me.

I've made a picture from the original movie of the moment of impact. You wondered where my elbow is. It's blurry, of course. See it at:

http://jonarmstrong.com/blog/?p=159

Respond to this message   

(Login Snakedoc)
Blake Moderator Emeritus

Right Elbow and Stance

June 4 2009, 12:48 AM 

Jon,
Your right elbow impact position looks quite good, despite the blurry frame. Your stance appears relatively narrow, but I suppose it doesn't matter if it doesn't affect your balance.

Did you return to Blake's reflex swing after frustration with a conventional swing or is Mindy's swing the only one you've ever tried? Do you notice a difference in shot quality among clubs, ie, do you find it easier to make solid contact with shorter clubs than longer ones, or vice versa, or about the same with all clubs? Thanks, Jim

Respond to this message   

(Login jon_armstrong)

New Videos

July 10 2009, 9:49 PM 

>Your right elbow impact position looks quite good, despite the blurry frame. >Your stance appears relatively narrow, but I suppose it doesn't matter if it >doesn't affect your balance.

>Did you return to Blake's reflex swing after frustration with a conventional >swing or is Mindy's swing the only one you've ever tried? Do you notice a >difference in shot quality among clubs, ie, do you find it easier to make solid >contact with shorter clubs than longer ones, or vice versa, or about the same >with all clubs? Thanks, Jim

After getting advice from the forum and Richard Wax, I headed back to the golf range. I widened my stance and have worked at keeping the right elbow more tucked. I'm getting there...

If you'd like to see, I've posted new videos on YouTube:

Front View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWPz9JmUP2U

Back View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS_CbH-bTMQ

In reply to Jim's questions:

When I returned to golf, there seemed but one swing Mindy's. Little did I know, he had improved it with Technique Barrier.
I think there's a big difference with the Mindy swing. I rarely get to practice, let alone play, but even so I always hit many solid, straight shots.

As for clubs, until my new driver, I was having more problems with long irons and the driver. But my new 13 degree oversized driver is wonderful. (Its what I'm swinging in the above videos.)

Jon

Respond to this message   

(Login Snakedoc)
Blake Moderator Emeritus

Re: New Videos

July 11 2009, 2:13 PM 

Jon,
Looking good. Sounds good too. In your backswing do you feel that you are taking the club back along the target line (until anatomy starts to pull it inside)? Jim

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Re: New Videos

July 12 2009, 9:17 AM 

That's a good description: until anatomy starts to pull it inside. I do have that sense.
What I'm still working with is getting the feeling that I'm really dragging the club forward. I think there's still a little hitting going on. Hopefully, I'll get to the range again soon and work on that.

Respond to this message   

(Login jon_armstrong)

Getting there ...

June 2 2009, 8:09 PM 

Jim,

Thanks for your comments.

I do feel the pull from my legs dragging my arms and hands through the ball. The 'ah ha' moment was when I really got my stance opened and it was just impossible not to feel the tension.

I use a fixed grip. I don't feel comfortable with a grip change.

As for keeping the club out in front, I feel that at address. I'm looking at the back of the ball and feel as though my club and left arm are "ahead of me".

As for an image of my right elbow at impact, I don't have a good on (the video is blurred) but I put one on my blog for you.
See it at:
http://jonarmstrong.com/blog/?p=159

Best,
Jon

Respond to this message   
cd
(Login birdbump)

Your swing

July 13 2009, 8:48 PM 

really looks good. As is usual when someone swings
with the Blake method successfully you look very
natural and fluid. Good job.

Respond to this message   

(Login jon_armstrong)

Thanks

July 13 2009, 10:11 PM 

It was working well that day! Yesterday, it wasn't quite as fluid. sad.gif

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Videos of My Version of the Golf Swing of the Future
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>RETURN TO INDEX  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Here is a free (with ads) Spell Check page

Search:   for    

Translate This Forum

Â»

Need a free spelling checker add-on for Internet Explorer ? ieSpell ;After installing, just Right-Click on your message word and select Check Spelling. BobKy.

Hit Counter
Hit Counters

Mindy Blake Bio

Please visit our other golf forums. Bonar Swing Forum, Chazman Swing Forum and Haddix Swing Forum

Also, visit the Single-Axis Golf Forum