<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to Index  

signs of ice fishing in the park

May 17 2010 at 8:26 PM
tedjp  (Login jp7ted)

Just got back from a trip in Algonquin. Spent a day in Loxley Lake and noticed signs of ice fishing in several spots along the shore. It appears that the culprits are snowmobiling in on the trail from Daventry. I reported it at the Brent access office on the way out and they were already aware of it.

Loxley is not a big lake and it could get wiped out very easily if this is allowed to go on. I've seen several posts on this website in the past about loxely from folks who frequent this website. Please make some noise with the ministry to let them know your concerns about this before its too late. I would hate to see the same happen to this lake as what happened to Stringer Lake.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Wooden Canoe
(Login Wooden_Canoe)

Re: signs of ice fishing in the park

May 17 2010, 11:20 PM 

I don't know if it pertains to this situation, but don't certain First Nations have exemptions to the standard fishing regulations?

BoKnowsagain
(Login BoKnowsagain)

signs

May 18 2010, 8:30 AM 

I too was under the impression that First Nations People and others with Indian status cards
are able to ice fish anywhere within Algonquin Park. I hope I am wrong!

Bo

JeffreyM
(Login JeffreyMcMurtrie)
AA Forum Group

May 18 2010, 9:49 AM 

That's correct.

Jeff

--

Algonquin Backcountry Recreationalists - Caring for Algonquin's Backcountry - abrweb.ca

My Algonquin Park Map - Accurate, Detailed, Free - Version 2.0!

John Connelly
(Login JohnConnelly)

May 18 2010, 10:19 AM 

As mentioned previously on this forum there was an unfortunate incident two winters ago on Cedar Lake , involving a father and son . They were on their snowmobiles , fishing on Cedar , with the father going through the ice offshore from the Pet River on the south side. A horrific and tragic experience for the surviving son. As we all know hunting is also allowed with myself witnessing the aftermath of deer being "jacked" from the roadside while hunters cruise the Basin Lake road in their halftones , very traditional ?

Mike
(Login Dooer)
AA Forum Group

May 18 2010, 12:06 PM 

I found a tin boat and fishing gear stashed deep in the park this past weekend..if was a birchbark canoe I would be fine, but not a tin boat

EGB
(Login EGB)
AA Forum Group

interesting

May 18 2010, 3:39 PM 

do Natives have to abide by catch limits? Couple years back I found a WOODSTOVE stashed on Eustache and all the chainsawed oaks.

swedish pimple
(Login SwedishPimple)
AA Forum Group

fishing

May 18 2010, 4:16 PM 

i thought hunting was ok mostly in the eastern townships.with a quotta system. it is also my view that fishing rights are under a different agreement to date, with no extra rights established yet..
i have been asked if i was native before? "sure",, i said, "i was born in canada"!!

Preacher
(Login Preacher23)

May 19 2010, 8:26 AM 

No limits of any kind. Bait, rods, creel - no limits.

Regarding a birch bark vs. aluminium boat, I think I understand where folks are coming from when they say things like this, but they're mistaken. Heritage & culture aren't about living in the past, they're about adapting customs to the present. My Christmas isn't cheapened by the fact that I don't believe in God and have a fake tree. Similarly their harvest isn't cheapened by the use of modern tools. Culture isn't the tool you use, it's the reason & purpose of the tool.

If the Status Holders are all like the 20-30 I've met over the years, these aren't cultural natives. They're as Canadian as you & I. Andrew (the teamster) called them apples. Red on the outside & white on the inside. Andrew is an apple himself, Status Holder with no connection to the FN culture.

It's a sickening situation that helps nobody. A fraction of FN blood and you can drive/fish/hunt the park. In return the AFN & local bands get to count you as a vote for their causes, one of which is to control the park. In the end the local bands have these apples with no connection to the culture representing them and we end up sitting around the campfire maligning FN who aren't reasonably represented.

EGB
(Login EGB)
AA Forum Group

well then

May 19 2010, 9:40 AM 

part of the deal should be Status Holders can fish/hunt/trap to their hearts content, but cannot use any technology that isnt theirs originally.

Ha!

usuf
(Login usuf)

May 19 2010, 10:33 AM 

I agree with EGB, anything else is simply cheating.

John Connelly
(Login JohnConnelly)

May 19 2010, 10:40 AM 

Valid points made Preacher , and I don't wish to hijack this thread from "tedip's" original post and would gladly start another as this is an important issue that continues to lie under the surface. I get your point about FN not having representation here , but always find it interesting when other status Canadians such as myself voice legitimate concerns that it is referred to "maligning" . When various FN chiefs that have an advisory role on the FMP voice their concerns is it maligning they are doing ? My concern is not so much their fishing and hunting rights as this was legally agreed upon by the Bob Rae government of the day , and is a system that will probably not change until the the actual land claim for Algonquin Park is agreed upon , and to quote an old Valley saying " she ain't gettin better til she gets worse ".

I may take flack for this , but I am getting tired of looking and cleaning up the garbage left behind , I think traditionally the were called "middens" (sp ? ) If we are going to both exist in the beautiful place called Algonquin how do we voice our concerns ? I was hoping Barry might have some suggestions.

I truly am not trying to malign FN people by posting this pic but when and how will this stop ?

[linked image]

This FN hunting checkpoint stayed all summer last ,along the Brent Road. There is also a real doozy at Foys Lake consisting of a cast iron gas barby and discarded atv mufflers and parts.
G-Day eh!

Barry Bridgeford
(Premier Login BarryBridgeford)
Forum Owner

Official report is appropriate ...

May 19 2010, 12:16 PM 

As with any serious concerns about specific incidents in Algonquin's backcountry, please use the ABR's Incident Report. Download PDF copies of it at .. http://www.abrweb.ca/Upkeep.htm .

Print-out copies, fill out your details and either mail them to the park and the ABR .. or scan/image your completed form and email-attach them to the park and the ABR.

John Winters (park super) has assured the ABR that its incident report forms will be accepted and processed as official communications.

In the past, the park responded to reports of a cached boat and of a parked trailer.

Barry Bridgeford
http://www.AlgonquinAdventures.com
http://www.ABRweb.ca .. Algonquin Backcountry Recreationalists - Caring for Algonquin's Backcountry

John Connelly
(Login JohnConnelly)

May 19 2010, 1:29 PM 

Thank-you Barry , I've read of these forms previously and forgot that this is the route to take , I'm glad to hear the concerns are heard by this manner. I wonder if this was the trailer you were referring to , it was parked on a old landing site tucked in off the Basin Lake road.

[linked image]

I don't go looking for trouble and stay clear of FN hunters on the east and northern parts of the park in the fall , on two occasions in the last three years , with a valid permit on my dash I have been denied access to Algonquin Park at various FN hunting checkpoints . This has been on primary access roads open to the public. I'm aware of the notices on the official AP website regarding the fall hunt but there certainly is a grey area as there seems to be no rhyme or reason as I have also been allowed through at other times.The Killaloe OPP are aware of these intermittent road blocks but have their hands tied sort of speak. I guess I can only hope to address this by becoming pro-active and follow the route you suggest. It can be frustrating planning fall trips as you don't know until you get there and depend on who happens to be manning the gate.

Mike
(Login Dooer)
AA Forum Group

May 19 2010, 1:54 PM 

I have the privelage of being good friends with an interior warden, so any infraction I encounter are reported directly to him. The Tin boat I encounterd, will either be decomissioned on site or removed by him personally. It is against regulations to stash boats, FN or not

EGB
(Login EGB)
AA Forum Group

Mike/stashing

May 19 2010, 6:01 PM 

what about canoe-carts? I have seen a few in the park...

Mike
(Login Dooer)
AA Forum Group

May 19 2010, 8:05 PM 

Funny guy.....I have seen a few a-holes in the bush too

Coach
(Login coach--k)

Just got back ...

May 19 2010, 9:40 PM 

I have just returned from back-to-back-to-back trips to the park - 17 days of the last 26. I have much to do to catch up at work but when I was perusing threads I just wanted to point out that I hiked up to Gypsy Lake (the little lake at the northeast end of Hogan, not the Gypsy Lake that feeds the Little Madawaska River) for the third time in the last 12 years. First time - great specs right from shore; second time - great spec fishing from the canoe we hauled in; third time - one spec after about three hours of fishing from two different canoes.

And then the two guys we took up to Gypsy showed us the aluminum canoe hidden in the bush. No one who had to portage into Hogan Lake would carry a canoe that far and leave it. Only someone who could drive into Hogan would leave the boat. And there was a big truck parked at the end of the portage with a boat trailer attached. We then headed down the Little Madawaska River and at the first portage on the east side of Phillips Lake we saw another stashed canoe and lots of debris.

Gypsy was a tiny little lake with tons of specs and it was one of my "special" finds in the park. Last week it felt like we caught (and released) the last spec in the entire lake and I was very discouraged, upset and felt cheated. There are still some great trout spots in the park but I fear that if the resource is not better managed these treasures, every one of them, could eventually and irrevocably succumb to the fate of Gypsy Lake.

Mike, please pass this on to your warden friend. Also, sorry I missed you on Lavielle, we were "hunkered down" on the May 8-9 weekend and did not venture too far due to the snow and freezing temps.

Coach

EGB
(Login EGB)
AA Forum Group

Mike?

May 19 2010, 10:00 PM 

No idea where I came off funny? Just asking if it is ok for people to stash carts in the park, as I haver seen stashed carts.

Price
(Login PriceAnderson)
AA Forum Group

May 19 2010, 10:27 PM 

Mike,

Was that boat at end of the Rock Lake to Pen Lake portage? My son discovered a flat back aluminum boat stashed about 50m off the trail covered in brush, there was a fishing net but I didn't look closer to see anything else. I thought nothing of it until I saw this post.

Price

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to Index  

Since April 9, 2012