<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to Index  

good trout lakes?

March 28 2011 at 7:26 PM
  (Login jimdiane)

I will be going into the park with a friend for 3 days in April, 22nd to the 24th. I know it will be a short trip, but would like to try out some trout fishing. We will be moving around for the 3 days, no base camp.
Am I being foolish to ask any suggestions on any tips on some lakes we should attempt?
Thanx for any help or recommendations!!!
jim

p.s I promise to post any pictures of anything we catch.............even if it is an old boot! happy.gif

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Rob W.
(Login rwaywell)
AA-FM

Re: good trout lakes?

March 28 2011, 8:20 PM 

Checking the trout survey will give you a good idea of where folks tend to catch trout.

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit/recreational_activites/fishing-in-algonquin-park.php

(Login algonquinarchaeologist)
AA Forum Group

fishing vs catching

March 28 2011, 8:26 PM 

I know lots and lots of good fishing lakes, but lakes in which I actually catch fish are a totally different matter. Apparently at the pearly gates they don't count days spent fishing against you, but if they insist on me catching, then I am in trouble.

Rory MacKay
(Removal or disturbance of cultural heritage features or artifacts is strictly against the Parks Act and the Heritage Act.
Information regarding historic sites or artifacts discovered should be reported to the Park Superintendent. Archaeology in the Park can only be done under license and with permission.)

(Login raton_laveur)
AA Forum Group

Moving for 3 days and looking for Trout Eh :-)

March 28 2011, 8:36 PM 

Well, start at Opeongo dock, continue north to start
and then go either to Nortrh arm or East Arm.
Keep going taking any portage/portages.

You'll be in treout waters for the entire 3 days
I don't think you can outrun the trout waters
in 3 days ( assuming you return NLT 1.5 days in happy.gif )

Have fun

Personally, I'd go to Big Trout !

Rac happy.gifhappy.gif n

(Login 1978-1952)
AA Forum Group

trout

March 28 2011, 9:20 PM 

we could still be ICE FISHING on the 22nd...........check survey out , should help you....

(Login SMolson)
AA Forum Group

March 28 2011, 10:36 PM 

White Partridge Lake - If it's Preacher's boot I'm sure he'd appreciate that you not practice catch and release but instead kept it and return it to him wink.gif

By trout (actually char) do you mean lake trout, brook trout and/or splake? For a short 2 nite trip Hilliard Lake is a good choice (splake), for lakers try any of the Bonnechere lakes or Louisa lake and for brookies again lots of choices depending on where you're driving from (Proulx, Crow River, Little Trout, North River, etc). Check Jeffrey McMurtrie's map as well for ideas, including the stocked ones.

(Login boknowsfishing)

good trout lakes

March 29 2011, 5:57 AM 

You can also google Algonquin Park trout stocking list and this will give you an idea too of what lakes you might want to fish. Majority of the lakes on the stocking list are close to access points and/or easy to get to.

Bo

(Login jimdiane)

March 29 2011, 8:37 AM 

I think we would prefer lakes off the "beaten path", away from any motor boats and crowds. We camp very lite and are willing to do a few long portages to get to some where more privat.
thanx
jim

Rob W.
(Login rwaywell)
AA-FM

March 29 2011, 9:02 AM 

I'm not sure how far 'off the beaten path' you can get in 3 days, particularly if you want to leave some time for fishing. happy.gif

A loop through Rock - Louisa - Rence - Harry - Welcome - Pen would give you some good fishing opportunities. It certainly isn't off the beaten path and you're likely to meet folks on the portages.

Racoon's suggesting of heading up Opeongo - possibly start with the water taxi to give you a head start on the paddling - might get you more solitude but I haven't actually been up that way yet.

Mike
(Login Dooer)
AA Forum Group

March 29 2011, 9:16 AM 

They are all good, just some are better then others. You dont need to go deep into the park to enjoy good fishing.

(Login jimdiane)

March 29 2011, 9:30 AM 

Regarding the water taxi, any idea of costs? Is it possible to share a ride? Any cheaper in a bigger group?Do they run that early in the year?
jim

(Login jimdiane)

March 29 2011, 9:35 AM 

Dead_weight
(Login dead_weight)
AA Forum Group

Water taxi

March 29 2011, 10:00 AM 

Check out Algonquin Outfitters website for water taxi costs ... you can always email them and ask about sharing a ride, etc. but I doubt they can arrange much like that in advance .. but worth an email.

As for fishing I ma making my first trip so no help to you ... but thankfully the other folks here are a really big help ...

dano
(Login muskydannno)
AA Forum Group

March 29 2011, 12:06 PM 

If you are coming in for only 2 nigths, I would suggest that you base camp if you want more time to fish.

Ok
(Login Got-one)

March 30 2011, 12:46 AM 

Well from what I have learn, the Pen Lake area is great with trips to welcome and the surrounding lakes. Also try the Tim-Lake area going into Rosebary, I hear good things about that. Big Trout lake and Mckaskill Lake are great fishing lakes too. It really depends on how far you are willing to travel. General rule of thumb, the more interior, the better the fishing.

Check my previous posts, I actually created a thread regarding this question. So the above were the results I got. I personally booked my trip at Rosebary from May 7th to the 13th. I cant wait!!

Send us pictures, cause I would love to see how you did! Good Luck!

OK

jim
(Login jimdiane)

March 30 2011, 5:08 PM 

Should I have reservations this early in the year?

jim

Rob W.
(Login rwaywell)
AA-FM

March 30 2011, 5:45 PM 

Assuming that your 3 days are over a weekend, then yes I would play it safe and reserve a site. If the weather is bad there will be lots of empty sites but if the weather is good then a lot of lakes will be booked solid.

(Login islandjay)

April 17 2011, 7:58 PM 

i checked out that survey...funny thing is one of my favorite lakes to laker fish had 2 surveys handed in,,,one of them should have been mine of that year that i handed in but i caught way more then what it said,,,,not too accurate i think....but a good place to start i think. best way to learn the park is a bit of reaserch and a lot of experience....good luck

Current Topic - good trout lakes?  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to Index  

Since April 9, 2012