Need Help! As I stated in previous threads I would not be able to make a trip until AugustWell I have a small window of opportunity. I am able to get away this upcoming weekend for a possible 3 night adventure. Is there any small lakes like Pine tree,or Sunday Lake that would be ice free yet? I am desperate for a trip. Thanks for your help!
i think the question of small or big lakes out first is like the question of which between a big ice cube and small melts first.
that is one factor. and i think a significant one.
but then there are other factors, like these:
small lakes tend to be shallow lakes, or tend not to have very deep sections to them.
which tends to mean they are more murky than deeper lakes.
and colored objects absorb more the sun, than do clearer objects.
so the ice on small lakes absorb more the sun, as their ice is more colored.
streams or rivers tend not to stay frozen (or at all), because they are moving.
if a stream or river connect to a lake, this "eats" at the lake's ice located against
or by the current. this should mean more for smaller lakes than large, as per the first point.
the sun's access to the lakes can vary according to the size of the lake, as the trees around lakes can cast larger shadows on smaller lakes than on larger lakes.
wind patterns play a role im sure, whose impact is maximized according to the positioning of the lake (and size) relative to the pattern.
im sure there are many more factors.
but i think the initial size and clarity factors are most deciding, as to which of small or large lakes go out first. them both causing the small lakes to go out first.
You are looking to go this weekend, as in tomorrow? I think the only option you would have is a small section of a fast moving river. I live just north of the Big East river and I could still walk on sections of it. I wouldn't but I probably could.
There are way too many factors involved, and some small lakes are very deep (e.g. Marie)and clear compared to larger ones (e.g. Proulx), so it depends on what small lakes you're targeting. A factor not mentioned is height above sea-level - those on the east-side tend to melt earlier than those on the west side, the difference can be 200 ft in some cases and a week ice-free before the others open up. Also some bays in large lakes can remain frozen or ice-jammed while their main body and/or northern bays can be ice-free.
I expect some Park lakes to be ice-free by opener but most will be fully or at least partially locked-in. The area is expecting temps to 20 degrees next week and lots of rain coming, so it's still going to be a close call...
Heading out tomorrow morning! Sitting at work now...thinking about Algonquin. I will only spend 2 nights at Mew Lake, but it is better than none. Took Monday off and now I can not wait. My wife is kicking me out the door. She insists that I visit the park. She says it is the only time she sees me relax. I will not get my canoe trip until Aughust, so this will have to hold me over. I am sure that I will not be too productive at work today...my mind is already in Algonquin! WOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!