<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to Index  

What's Your Favorite Time of Year in the Park?

November 9 2011 at 9:09 AM

(Login hotelfive5472)
AA-FM

I used to really enjoy the fall in Algonquin (and still do)... we did most of our extensive interior tripping around the Thanksgiving weekend and always enjoyed the lack of bugs, cool evenings and lessened crowds.

I have to say now though, that I am becoming more and more of a fan of winter in the park. The solitude that winter provides is incredible. I've gotten into the habbit of going up by myself for 3 to 6 days at a time and I just find it SO relaxing. The sounds, the smells and of course the ambience in the winter has made it so now I enjoy this season the best. The shorter days lend themselves to spending more time around the campfire, but that just gives me an excuse to eat and drink more! Oh and there is nothing like crawling into a cozy sleeping bag at 9pm and getting a solid 12 hours of sleep!

What's your favorite time of year in the park?

My Website: http://www.elmsphotography.ca
My Blog: http://elmsphotography.blogspot.com/
"Like" my Facebook Photography Page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Stephen-Elms-Photography/148974463091

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login tessfully)
AA Forum Group

Re: What's Your Favorite Time of Year in the Park?

November 9 2011, 9:21 AM 

While each season holds me captive for different reasons I would say the dead of winter is a close second to canoeing in the fall. I do miss the water and the paddle, the trip planning, but I am soooo looking forward to winter. Honestly there is nothing more magical than winter in the wilderness.

Not all those who wander are lost. ~J.R.R. Tolkien

http://www.algonquintreks.ca/

John Connelly
(Login JAConnelly)

November 9 2011, 7:47 PM 

I agree with ya Steve , Wondrous Winter !

A whole new perspective on the animal activity that can't be observed this way in the warm months , simply fascinating to me !

Following wolf tracks to a point were it hunkered down and unknown to me was watching from across the lake .

[linked image]
[linked image]

Wenda Cabin , a time ago
[linked image]

Ken Born
(Login Boknowsalgonquin)

Favourite tme

November 10 2011, 5:45 AM 

My favourite time is whenever I have a chance (which I am truly blessed with being able to) to pitch my tent on a lake in the GREATEST PARK IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD!!

Bo

dead_weight
(Login dead_weight)
AA Forum Group

Bo beat me to it

November 10 2011, 8:03 AM 

You got it bo ... whether its algonquin or some other place the best time is when I get the time ...

But when I was younger and had more leisure time, I still prefered the fall ... as a kid it was a time of year we were in the woods a lot with my dad and brothers hauling the winters wood ... we would also bring the fishing rods and would work like hell to get a few hours on the last day to go fishing ...

(Login ZenSoloist)
AA Forum Group

November 12 2011, 10:04 AM 

I will go anytime but my fave season is fall when the bugs are gone and the colours are in. Followed closely by winter.

Preacher
(Login Preacher23)

November 12 2011, 3:21 PM 

Whichever time I happen to find myself in the park.

Spring.

(Login tessfully)
AA Forum Group

November 15 2011, 9:01 AM 

Preacher: highest score for best answer!

Not all those who wander are lost. ~J.R.R. Tolkien

http://www.algonquintreks.ca/

(Login Canoeist08)
AA Forum Group

November 21 2011, 6:45 PM 

For me it's Spring, I love to see the portages and campsites after the Winter has passed. It's kind of like natures way of cleaning the slate for the start of another year. It is nice to see the trees budding and hear the birds of Spring. I recently watched a video for the first time that was taken while walking the portage from Tom Thompson to Ink lake last May right after ice out. It is amazing how much you can hear the birds in the background. Ah the memories!!!

Tom C.
(Login ntfd60)
AA Forum Group

November 21 2011, 7:22 PM 

August & September

Mike Burns
(Login mikbur)
AA Forum Group

November 21 2011, 7:44 PM 

Like Precher,,,,anytime I am lucky to set foot in the park is the best time....
but if I had to choose....I love September into October....August is second choice. April/May before the little blood suckers come out is my 3rd choice.....Now for Winter time....anytime the lakes are frozen for safe passage. Feb/March is great....
Cheers
Mikey

Mike B

Rick
(Login frozentripper)
AA Forum Group

November 22 2011, 10:17 AM 

Grant,

"...hear the birds of Spring. I recently watched a video for the first time that was taken while walking the portage from Tom Thompson to Ink lake last May right after ice out. It is amazing how much you can hear the birds in the background."

I wouldn't mind seeing that vid if it is online somewhere... were the birds identified by their songs and calls, maybe they're recognizable if the sound is recorded well enough.

Canoeing at the moment of ice-out is something really special and there is nothing else like it except being there at that moment. It has to be timed just right, otherwise it's a matter of luck.

My thing is to canoe to a lake with a decent cliff and then spend some time up there at sunset, hearing the spring peepers cheeping below together with woodpeckers drumming out their territories on hollow trees.

I haven't heard all that many birds at that time, most of the songs and calls seem to come on June and July. One afternoon in the Wilkens lake area (ice-out time), I was walking through some deciduous woods and saw several trees filled with hundreds of robins, all calling to each other and flying from branch to branch in an excited way, probably stopped while migrating north.

Another time a wood thrush started singing on a tree top, if you've heard a wood thrush you'll be familiar with how melodious it is. With the spring peepers and tree frogs going, a happy moment, magic time.

Anyway, TIA, best wishes for ice-out in 2012 (the way time's going by these days, it'll be here before we know it.)

(Login _WildChild)
AA Forum Group

November 22 2011, 2:13 PM 

I like all seasons....

Winter for the sparkling snow and snowshoeing
Spring for the awakening of life in the park (and the higher water levels - lol)
Summer for wildflowers and swimming
Fall for the glorious colors (and meeting a whole load of friends up there for a gathering)

Laurie Ann
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
www.outdooradventurecanada.com
www.aforkinthetrail.com
www.wildernesscooking.com

Ken Mac Donald
(Login 1978-1952)
AA Forum Group

park

November 22 2011, 3:09 PM 

For me it is early springtime, basically ice out, something about stopping at a campsite knowing you are the first person to use it since the last fall trip the previous year.

checking the shorelines on the lake you are camping on, looking for ice too keep your food cold and for your drinks around the fire.

knowing you are the first to wet a line in that particular lake that year, the spring peepers at night singing you to sleep, that first campfire, not seeing another sole for 3 or 4 days at a time, just sitting in the canoe, dead silence listening to a song sparrow.

Rob W.
(Login rwaywell)
AA-FM

November 22 2011, 5:36 PM 

Spring is pretty great. Certainly can't wait for next spring. happy.gif Already thinking about it in between hockey games.

If I had to pick though, I'd probably say a couple of late summer early fall trips stick out the most. Probably because they don't happen very often. And when they do happen and you get in a few more great days tripping when you were prepared for the weather to be going downhill it really helps to round out the year.

On the other hand if I couldn't get that spring fishing trip in, I'm not sure I would last until summer. sad.gif

Grant
(Login Canoeist08)
AA Forum Group

November 22 2011, 5:37 PM 

Rick

The video is still being edited by my brother. I hope to have it in my completed May trip report on our blog soon. I will post a thread once it is ready for viewing.

(Login dead_weight)
AA Forum Group

Ok then Spring

November 22 2011, 6:10 PM 

OK Ken you sold me .. Spring is now my favorite !!!

Ken Mac Donald
(Login 1978-1952)
AA Forum Group

November 22 2011, 7:35 PM 

I am on a commission from the park>>>>>>>>

Current Topic - What's Your Favorite Time of Year in the Park?  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to Index  

Since April 9, 2012