<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to Index  

Bug Status?

May 1 2012 at 8:23 AM
Joel Arthurs  (Login joelarthurs)
AA Forum Group

Hi All,

I'm heading in first thing tomorrow morning to Access #3. Anyone have an update on what to expect for bugs? I'm guessing with the increasing temperatures, my bug jacket and bug dope won't go to waste?

------------------------------------------

Fish with the heart, not with the mind >

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login canoejeff)

Re: Bug Status?

May 1 2012, 9:19 AM 

I'm also curious about the bugs! We're actually heading in same day, same access point.

It looks like the forecast is warming up quite a bit. I wonder if that will be enough to kick the black flies into high gear?

EGB
(Login EGB)
AA Forum Group

May 1 2012, 10:51 AM 

I'm going to guess the black flies will be out a vengence only seen in certain Bruce Willis movies.

(Login joelarthurs)
AA Forum Group

Extra protein

May 1 2012, 10:57 AM 

Well, at least we won't be lacking our protein intake I suppose. I've been itching (pun intended) to get on the water. Today's work day was shot before it even began!

------------------------------------------

Fish with the heart, not with the mind >

(Login tessfully)
AA Forum Group

May 1 2012, 7:03 PM 

I was in the woods and along the closed forest roads today and did not see even one black fly. People around here expect this to be our last relaxing week before the feeding frenzy begins.

~tess johnston~

Not all those who wander are lost. ~J.R.R. Tolkien

http://www.algonquintreks.ca/

(Login Suppaman)

May 1 2012, 7:11 PM 

Didn't see a single mosquito or fly on Sunday.
--
Suppaman

(Login Bolovesalgonquin)

Bugs

May 2 2012, 6:44 AM 

I don't worry about bugs this time of year. I just come prepared just in case.

Mind you June is a different story......I am always at home preparing for a July/August trip.

Bo

(Login StuckonShore)

May 2 2012, 8:08 AM 

Just spent last evening out in the bush near Access # 1 and am extremely happy to report that not one of our crew got bit - no mosquitoes, no black flies.

But then it's only Wednesday...we all know that all it takes is a couple of nice warm days for the attack to begin!!

Jeff
(Login canoejeff)

May 2 2012, 8:56 AM 

This is great news! Hopefully it hangs on for a longer longer happy.gif We're headed in tomorrow for 3 nights.

kayamedic
(Login kayamedic)
AA Forum Group

May 4 2012, 8:23 PM 

Update
BF swarming on Louisa yesterday but not biting. Then it got cold and up Rock today none.

The winter mosquitoes are out but those don't bite. It never got really warm over the last five days..minus nine to plus ten.

When the sun finally does come out expect the blackies to be biting. The Rock Louisa area got a lot of rain.. the 2895er is a morass in spots and a river in others.

Bring saw..there is a bit of blowdown in the area though the impediments are getting broken off by passing canoeists.

Particularly noteworthy is a nasty downed spruce between Frank and Rence and a number between Louisa and Rock. Have perseverance..you will get through.

(Login Bimbra)

May 6 2012, 4:43 PM 

Heading into Ragged Lake on May9th and staying until May13th...please keep updating this thread. I'm hoping we'll get lucky.
- Cheers

"Luck is the spit of gods and goddesses"
Rohinton Mistry

Anonymous
(Login jimdiane)

May 6 2012, 8:08 PM 

Just got back from a day trip, we were hiking around Track and Tower, bugs flying but not biting happy.gif
I imagine they will be attacking in the next few days if the weather continues to warm up.
jim

Bryce
(Login BryceZ)
AA Forum Group

May 6 2012, 8:22 PM 

Black flies out in Cardiff, ON this past weekend (well, at HWY648 and 118). Not biting but swarming.

kayamedic
(Login kayamedic)
AA Forum Group

May 6 2012, 8:51 PM 

Five days Rock-Pen-Welcome-Frank-Louisa etc. Saw three skeeters of the winter kind that is large slow and non biting.

But it was rainy and cold. What might have been dry before is now flowing strong. We had several fords on the Louisa Rock portage to knee deep. When the weather warms the blackflies will emerge depending as they do on moving clear water.

We did not need bug jackets nor dope. That is not to say you can get away with the same.

(Login normhead)
AA Forum Group

May 6 2012, 9:19 PM 

I killed a couple black flies crawling on my skin today. ( I know, not very buddha of me.) We're planning on going out again next week, so I hope they don't get any worse, but that hope gets fainter every day. Without frost, I think it may be an early bug season this year. I've already been bit by a mosquito last week on Burnt Island. We're planning a trip south for the end of the month, you can only take so much of bug season.

Steve K.
(Login backwoulds)
AA Forum Group

Not worries

May 6 2012, 9:44 PM 

Just got back from three nights in Big Porcupine. Bugs of no real concern for us. They were out sporadically but the dinner bell has not gone off yet.

(Login ChickenCanoe)

May 6 2012, 10:09 PM 

Just got back from Fork Lake. Zero bugs all weekend, but as we were packing up to leave, a few of these little fellers started to mill about:

BlackFly.jpg

PaPaddler
(Login PaPaddler)
AA Forum Group

May 6 2012, 11:07 PM 

Is that a Stable Fly or a super close-up of a black fly? Soesn't look like a black fly to me.

PaPaddler

(Login ChickenCanoe)

May 7 2012, 9:18 AM 

I don't know what kind it was. Quite a bit bigger than a house fly, but beyond that I'm not sure.

Martin
(Login PineMartyn)
AA Forum Group

Swarming, but not biting yet

May 7 2012, 9:48 AM 

My wife and I took a hike on some crown land a little to the west of the the park (near access point #2) yesterday (May 6th).

The blackflies were out in force, swarming all around us, but they were not biting yet. We stopped to boil some water for some coffee and lunch and the small amount of smoke drove them off, so we probably have less than a week left before they start needing their blood meals.

-Martin

Anonymous
(Login crazyrinkrat)

May 22-26

May 7 2012, 11:11 AM 

Heading into the park from Access Point #3. This is my first trip in the park and I was wondering if anyone can tell me what I should expect in terms of black flies? (Given the early spring weather).

Norm Head
(Login normhead)
AA Forum Group

May 7 2012, 12:20 PM 

There was a good heavy frost last night, but the black flies are swarming. They're bound to start biting soon... if a good heavy frost doesn't hold them back, I don't know what will. Unfortuantely there is still a lot of moisture in the ground so they have water to breed in, I guess we have them now until water temperatures get to be warm and the forest floor is dry. Things are not looking good for the Long May Weekend.

dano
(Login muskydannno)
AA Forum Group

May 7 2012, 2:01 PM 

Just got back from 6 nights and there were no bugs to report. We spent 4 nights on Longbow Lake, access #2, April 28 to May 2 and 2 night on the Barron River, May 4 to 6.

Nights and days were cool so the bugs were still in hiding, but it wont be long before they come out as we spotted a few black flies and mosquitos on Suday.

At least the fish were bitting and not the bugs.

(Login bongopix)
AA Forum Group

The Black Fly Song

May 7 2012, 2:13 PM 

Although I don't have a bug report, here's a classic Canadian folk song about black flies:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjLBXb1kgMo. The song start about 30 seconds in. Something to sing to yourself while you're being attacked on the portage? Cheers!

Rob W.
(Login rwaywell)
AA-FM

May 8 2012, 12:59 PM 

We saw a few blackflies on the way out from Pen yesterday. Still at the point where you could squish the individual flies.

Jeff
(Login canoejeff)

May 13 2012, 6:37 AM 

A little late in reporting but we were out on Daisy Lake May 3-6 and only saw a handful of mosquitoes, no black flies.

Ken Mac Donald
(Login 1978-1952)
AA Forum Group

bugs

May 13 2012, 6:41 PM 

came out yesterday and blackflies are just starting, a few more days and they will be getting thirsty...

(Login 7T1)
AA Forum Group

May 13 2012, 6:58 PM 

Hey Ken

Anything else biting? happy.gif

kayamedic
(Login kayamedic)
AA Forum Group

May 13 2012, 7:43 PM 

We run three to five days ahead of Canoe Lake here at home.

The blackflies were out in force. Of course it was 24 degrees. They were biting. Seriously I have never see them so bad we have had to wear bugsuits on the water. I did not have a camera but there were thousands in front of my face. Fifty feet away from shore in calm conditions.

Look forward to an explosion in the next few days.

EstherBronson
(Login EstherBronson)

May 13 2012, 9:30 PM 

Yup,black flies are out full force here in the Pontiac too. Swarming & biting. Nearly drove me crazy planting flowers today. Good news is they should be on the decline by the time June 15 rolls around when I am booked at Achray.

adam
(Login 5fer5)
AA Forum Group

May 14 2012, 10:24 AM 

Just got back from Ralph Byce. They are there with very few biting. A couple of us had welts. To put it in perspective we had a bug tent and jackets and used neither. Did use spray though. Also we had a breezy site, but even back in the bush it was OK. If they were biting more we would have been in for a frustrated time (there were lots around).

(Login algonquin.glenn)
AA Forum Group

May 15 2012, 12:43 PM 

FYI... Was up at Lost Coin Cabin this past weekend..and the black flies have started to bite... about 10 bits or so...but between Friday...and Sunday...they got alot worse.....

Take care on the long weekend...the water is still cold......

(Login Jbry)
AA Forum Group

May 16 2012, 8:57 AM 

Although not in the park, I was at a practice just outside Monotick in Ottawa and at around 8pm the Mosquito's are out FULL FORCE. I'm only assuming if they're here, then they are in the Park.

Current Topic - Bug Status?  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to Index  

Since April 9, 2012