<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to Index  

Highland Backpacking - Head Lake

July 28 2012 at 6:02 PM
Jon  (Login Bear_Banger)
AA Forum Group

Hi,

I am going to be staying at Provoking lake and Head Lake in two weeks. Wondering if anyone could shed some light on the usual bugs there at the start of August as well as which backpacking site on head lake (out of the four) is the best. What about the fishing?

Thanks

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Andrew
(Login token2012)
AA Forum Group

Re: Highland Backpacking - Head Lake

July 30 2012, 11:08 AM 

I hiked into the very first site on Head Lake last year.. I ended up getting a very late start (hit the trail around 1PM)and I got to the site around 6PM. For some reason I decided I didn't want to keep walking to the next site.. but the one I stayed at wasn't very nice at all.. it was literally right on the trail.. Other hikers almost literally had to step through my camp to stay on trail.

Anonymous
(Login Bear_Banger)
AA Forum Group

July 31 2012, 9:38 AM 

thanks Andrew

Andrew
(Login token2012)
AA Forum Group

July 31 2012, 10:29 AM 

Still a nice spot though... don't let my post deter you! There is a steep rock edge into the lake at the back of the campsite which I managed to slip on and loose a nalgene bottle and my sunglasses in the lake.. heh

Anonymous
(Login Bear_Banger)
AA Forum Group

July 31 2012, 9:56 PM 

steep enough for a nice deep trout fishing spot?

Jon
(Login Bear_Banger)
AA Forum Group

August 2 2012, 11:02 AM 

Looking at Jeff's Map I see there is a historic canoe route and/or portage inbetween Kenneth Lake and Harness lake. Does anyone know if this is a walkable trail?

MattCanoeGuy
(Login MattCanoeGuy)
AA Forum Group

August 2 2012, 1:38 PM 

When we did the Uplands be cautious around Mosquito Creek. It is very aptly named. Based on the number of mosquitos that were coming at us it was like we could hear the Flight of the Valkyries.

We canoed Head and Harness last year and the bugs weren't too bad in the middle of the lake.
Good luck!

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to Index  

Since April 9, 2012