<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to Index  

Achray Carcajou Bay

August 21 2012 at 8:37 AM
Jim  (Login eustache)

I go to Carcajou Bay about twice a year. No longer. The Park belongs to drunken teenagers or parents that want their four year old to scream constantly for hours on end. No peace, no quite and of course zero wildlife thanks to SCREAMING children. Yes, these are interior campsites. The organized campground is much quieter. I just left my campsite at night and traveled across Grand Lake in the dark to get back to my car after 10 straight hours of whining and crying by three under fives. A total waste of time money and lost equipment thanks to the dark. A TOTAL WASTE. Never again will I visit Algonquin Park Interior Daycare Park. That is the way it should be promoted to have any honesty in advertising. Otherwise it is just a con job. What kind of moron brings his or her under five year olds to an interior campsite? Small children belong at the organized campground, not interior sites where people expect a little peace and quite. I could not even listen to the Loons. the moment they made a sound the kids start screaming all over again. It was insane. Do you think the parents care? Of course not. Well their kids are learning well to be self centered little scumbags who no doubt will return to Algonquin park as teenagers to get drunk and spoil it for anyone near them. This was my very last trip after twenty five years to Algonquin. They need to have ADULT only areas or times. It has become as crowded and noisy as the inner city. Seriously if you want peace, quit and wildlife go somewhere else. Algonquin Park has been ruined by urban dickwads who bring their selfishness and complete ignorance of others to a place promoted for being PEACEFUL. It is not.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

PaPaddler
(Login PaPaddler)
AA-FM

Re: Achray Carcajou Bay

August 21 2012, 9:23 AM 

A post rife with juvenile namecalling makes me think it's a flame. Carcajou is barely interior but your experience is likely not typical - otherwise you wouldn't have been in Algonquin for the previous 24 years. Try putting a couple portages between you and the access area and you'll find the quiet you desire. Otherwise, quit bashing someone trying hard to introduce the next generation to a beautiful park.

PaPaddler

dano
(Login muskydannno)
AA Forum Group

August 21 2012, 9:35 AM 

Jim, the best way to get away from the noise and crowds is to 'really' get away, meaning you have to portage.

Crowds gather where the easy access's are, the Canoe Lake area is a good example...very short portages and Carcajou Bay has 'paddle in' sites.

If possible, portaging a long one (a few km's) or many shorter ones is the best way to get away. I have been doing these longer portages for years and have seldom seen other humainoids and 'crying' babies.

Wilderness experiences are not the same for everybody...I for one NEED to 'get away'!

Lesta
(Login solo_lesta)
AA Forum Group

August 24 2012, 4:59 AM 

A good option is to reserve a lake that only has one camp site. Bridle lake out of access 17 is a good example.

Preacher
(Login Preacher23)

August 24 2012, 7:33 AM 

Caracjou is NOT interior. It's paddle-in. BIG DIFFERENCE.

Hump a portage or hump your whining outta here.

Mike
(Login Dooer)
AA Forum Group

August 24 2012, 7:53 AM 

Good to hear! sounds like one less "urban dickwad" will be returning to the park...lol

Markus
(Login mcrubino)
AA Forum Group

August 24 2012, 7:58 AM 

A post rife with juvenile namecalling makes me think it's a flame

This is not a flame post PaPaddler. If you truly understood what a flame post was, you would've been the subject of the flame. Instead, the OP chose to use AA as an outlet to share their frustrations and disappointment in what could've been a memorable experience, but apparently turned into a nightmare cacophony of noise.

Granted, the language of the post may violate certain rules on this forum, yet the OP has steered clear of insulting interaction with fellow AA members (aka "Flaming").

The lack of respect that many Algonquin Park neophytes show (Unknowingly, I might add) to their unseen fellow park users is rife through-out the access lakes area. To put this in perspective, I have seen and heard less noise and commotion on cottage country lakes!

To the OP, I hear you brother! - I understand your frustration and share your pain. Sometimes, some of us do not have time to go deeper into The Park (Why should we have to?) and for some reason some people assume that you should have to, to get piece and quiet.

As for the language of your post, it was a little hard on the virgin ears here at AA, I wouldn't be surprised if your post (And mine) got censored.

Cheers

markinthepark.com

Markus
(Login mcrubino)
AA Forum Group

August 24 2012, 8:02 AM 

PaPaddler,

Mike's post (Above mine) is a good example of a flame post.

Cheers

markinthepark.com

Rory MacKay
(Login algonquinarchaeologist)
AA Forum Group

interesting perspective

August 24 2012, 9:58 AM 

While the language in the original post may be strong for some, it is no more strong than some others have posted previously about concerns over other noise (generators, radios), or other inconsiderate behaviour.
I do find it interesting that someone could be and was charged for having a radio on without headphones, and therefore audible from the lake, when one would not expect such a charge to be laid for uncontrolled children. I think that the point is well made that one must have consideration for others when camping in the Park, whether on an organized campsite, on a paddle in campsite or in the interior.
I know that having no-children zones would not solve the problem, because inconsiderate behaviour is not restricted to those of a few years of age. All we can hope is that the "offenders" read these posts and encourage their children to appreciate both the sights and SOUNDS of Algonquin Park and be considerate of others.

Rory MacKay
"Anyone who has known Algonquin Park will be disappointed when they get to Heaven" -- Ralph Bice.

FredForest
(Login FredForest)
AA Forum Group

August 24 2012, 11:53 AM 

I sympathize with the OP who may have that one opportunity a year to get away from the demands of everyday life and get some fresh air, away from the house/yard chores and enjoy the wind and the water. I very much look forward to those days and would be equally crushed. I might venture a guess and say that those at the noisy camp site likely had similar hopes. Raising a young family is hard and being in the Park can be a real break for them as well. I would have been concerned that given all the crying and persistent noise, maybe something was wrong. Perhaps a cut or a bad bee sting and some fear on behalf of the kids. I think I might have first checked to see if they needed any first aid gear so that I could gently explain the whole lake could hear the kids screaming.

I would add, there are already kid free zones. They typically start at the end of the second portage (pick one). The ease of a paddle in site(s), like those described here, are what make those sites among my last choices if I am seeking solitude or refuge but what make them the first choice for families who can't yet manage a portage. That would be obvious to anyone who has spent a lot of time in the park.

Barry Bridgeford
(Premier Login BarryBridgeford)
Forum Owner

Be Considerate of Other Visitors ...

August 24 2012, 6:54 PM 

Unfortunately, there's a segment of the camping public which isn't as considerate of other visitors as the balance of the camping public would like them to be. Promotion of the Leave No Trace principles will hopefully help transform the former segment into the latter one.

I just got back a couple of hours ago from four nights on Ralph Bice Lake, where a group across the bay chose to break the tranquility on Tuesday and Thursday evenings with a very brief but very loud cresendo of "bangers" .. yes, firecrackers! These were intentional displays of insensitivity .. very brief in duration but very disruptive to the aesthetics to be sure.

I saw a number of families paddle by with wee-ones in mid-canoe .. all quietly behaving and apparently enjoying the experience. The odd dog would bark occasionally from far across the lake. Portages were crowded but everyone was pleasant and thoughtful. All in all it was a very enjoyable stay, specially for mid-August!

The frustration and disappointment of the original poster is understandable. Most of the reponses are likewise understandable. Inappropriate name-calling aside, I think this thread has dealt well with the wisdom of getting a portage or two between the accesspoint and one's destination lake. Doing so is part of the learning process and can be easily incorporated in trip planning. Unfortunately, getting that segment of the camping public which isn't considerate of other visitors to learn better-practices sure can be something of an up-hill endeavor!

Barry Bridgeford
http://www.AlgonquinAdventures.com
http://www.ABRweb.ca .. Algonquin Backcountry Recreationalists - Caring for Algonquin's Backcountry
http://www.abrweb.ca/docs/ABR-LNT-L50S.pdf .. Backcountry of Algonquin Park Leave No Trace Outdoor Skills and Ethics

Rory MacKay
(Login algonquinarchaeologist)
AA Forum Group

August 24 2012, 7:21 PM 

I thought about this thread while mowing the lawn (strange social custom that) and have decided to agree with those who recommend a portage or two. It shouldn't have to be so, but it is probably a reality. I still think that in an ideal world, those camping on easily accessed lakes should have some control of their children (or dogs, cats, llamas etc.), but I realize that is not always possible. Some children have a will of their own. I believe the original post suggested the crying went on for some hours. It is unlikely the cause was a bee sting or something of the sort. Had the OP gone over to the campsite, I am almost certain the parents would have been mortified. My first interior trip was at age five, but I wanted to go and it is unlikely I would have been allowed to cry for long if that had been my inclination. However, the Park is for the neophyte (of whatever age) as well as the experience camper (of whatever age). Perhaps it would be best of the OP put this experience down in the same category as a bad wind storm, a torrential rain, or high winds which prevented an enjoyable trip. Next time Carcajou Bay may be filled, but also silent.
One thing that did concern me was the assumption that the misbehaving children were urban dwellers. That was likely an unfair assumption and generalization. It was also unfair to assume that the OP was an urbanite as well.

Rory MacKay
"Anyone who has known Algonquin Park will be disappointed when they get to Heaven" -- Ralph Bice.

PaPaddler
(Login PaPaddler)
AA-FM

August 24 2012, 7:44 PM 

Rory and Barry, I always admire your thoughtful insights. Your even temper and spirit of moderation is lauded.

Preacher, you are gifted at boiling down the facts to the core. A little brash, maybe, but I think we would both enjoy an evening around the fire together reflecting on human nature.

PaPaddler

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Back to Index  

Since April 9, 2012