<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

winter canvas tent

September 27 2013 at 11:55 AM

DogByte  (Login DerekDB)
AA Forum Group

I want to get myself a winter canvas tent for backcountry camping. Anyone have ideas where I might get one? I've found a few places for new ones online but would prefer older/used one for affordability. Maybe you know of a friend that is selling or know about a military surplus store that has a decent one in stock. I'm located just east of Toronto. Thanks.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
swedish pimple
(Login swedishpimple30)
AA Forum Group

hey dog

September 27 2013, 1:31 PM 

i have what ya need,, 5 man u.s. artic bell tent, with a liner and all the trimmings. i even have a wood stove that has a oven box all the stove pipes and damper and spark arrester . what do ya think? i lives in peterborough and can travel to oshawa, next week.
talk to me dog

DogByte
(Login DerekDB)
AA Forum Group

Tent

September 27 2013, 4:32 PM 

Thanks Swede! I am emailing you now......

Derek Specht
Executive Committee
Algonquin Backcountry Recreationalists
http://www.ABRweb.ca

Steve Elms
(Login hotelfive5472)
AA Forum Group

Re: winter canvas tent

September 28 2013, 9:57 AM 

I picked up that exact tent and started using it last year and love it. It's not as pretty as a Snowtrekker, but then again I didn't freak out when I got a couple little burn holes in it happy.gif I thought the center pole design was going to bug me but I actually like it as I use it to hang a lantern, dry clothes etc. Good luck!

Blog: http://elmsphotography.blogspot.com/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Stephen-Elms-Photography/148974463091

Bryce
(Login BryceZ)
AA Forum Group

September 28 2013, 8:10 PM 

I've heard good things about these arctic bell tents. good luck in your search!

Eric Ryckman
(Login EricRyckmanll)
AA Forum Group

September 28 2013, 10:05 PM 

Where do you buy tents and stoves for winter camping?

Jk
(Login Jakr)
AA Forum Group

September 30 2013, 7:41 AM 

Dawg - Not sure if it's an option for you but making your own custom internal frame and sewing up your own wall tent is not that difficult. On the sewing front, it's all straight line stuff which is easy to learn. It'll prolly take a couple of wknds to whip out this kind'a project. 6oz canvas can be had off FleaBay and tent poles on interweb. It's a rewarding project that can result in a sub-20lb tent/frame combo that'll easily rival the Snowtrekker tents for 1/5th of the cost.
[linked image]

Eric - Canvas tents can be bought on-line. Snowtrekker is the most popular brand but there are other companies. Some take old canvas tents and convert them for winter-use (ie w/ woodstove). Stoves can be easily made yourself using 22gauge or 26gauge sheet metal or bought from stores like LeBaron. I've made two stoves. Easy project that can be completed over a wknd.
[linked image]

Anonymous
(Login trevan)
AA Forum Group

September 30 2013, 3:58 PM 

Working on getting my prospector tent ready for winter. Those photos have pushed tho closer to the top of my list!

Where do people position their stoves - near the door or in a back corner?

I have searched the web and some recommend the stove pipe out the roof and others out the side. With only a 3 foot wall on my tent I suspect it will need to go out roof or the back wall - any tips?

Anyone know of a canvas shop in Toronto to sew in my stove ring.

T

Jk
(Login Jakr)
AA Forum Group

October 1 2013, 8:06 AM 

Hi T,

If you can find the book "A Snow Walker's Companion", you'll learn everything you need for winter camping. Another great resource is the wintertrekking.com site/forum.
http://www.amazon.ca/Snow-Walkers-Companion-Winter-Skills/dp/0070228922

Re: stove position, traditional placement is by the front door and off to the side. Reasons being:
- The stove will draw cold air through the main entrance instead of across your living space. Not sure how significant this is personally as I've always had my stoves off to the side and by the front door.
- Wood-hauling will be easier since you're not dragging wood across your living space. Bringing wood in is at least a 1x per day ritual.

Re: stove out the roof vs side, this will depend on your tent design. If you have "walls" then I recommend through the roof with an elbow perhaps to redirect sparks. It goes without saying but the more piping you have inside the tent, the better since you're capturing as much of the heat as possible. Also, the straighter you keep your piping, the better your stove will burn (ie better air draw).

Re: stove ring, depending on your stove rings design, you can sew it on yourself using Kevlar thread. The stove ring on my current tent is made of aluminized fabric. I actually only sewed mine on using regular poly thread but will reinforce that with flame retardant Kevlar thread this year just to be safe. It's still holding tho.
[linked image]

Got a pic of your prospector tent? It'd be great to see it.

Anonymous
(Login trevan)
AA Forum Group

October 2 2013, 7:53 PM 

Thanks for the great feedback.

Stove pipe ring in hand and my stove is due next week.

Will be setting up the tent once all the parts are here and finalizing the setup.

Will post a pic or two once I get it done.

T

Anonymous
(Login trevan)
AA Forum Group

October 3 2013, 8:47 PM 

My "garage find" Prospector tent May 2013.

[linked image]

Bryce
(Login BryceZ)
AA Forum Group

October 3 2013, 9:49 PM 

wow great find... dare i ask what you stole it for?

Anonymous
(Login trevan)
AA Forum Group

October 8 2013, 9:57 PM 

Where does on buy Kevlar thread?

All set to install the stove pipe ring and all I have is waxed thread.

Hopefully all together this weekend and then off to AP next week.

T

AP
(Login AlexPerovic)
AA Forum Group

October 22 2013, 10:40 AM 

Hey Swedish pimp,

do you have that tent still?

To the OP,

I purchased a Prospector new with a buddy of mine from Tent City, just North of Toronto. Looks just like the prospector above. The good thing about it, tent city has them custom made with have 5 foot walls and screens on the door and zippers. A lot of livable space with the high walls. There is total comfort in that thing and I do not feel cramped at all even when others are camping with me.

The bad news is that with the 5 foot walls the roof slope is not great and I would be concerned about snow gathering, however, I use a large tarp over top in winter anyway. I have read a lot of people suggest this to help with moisture build up and some say warmth as well. The other draw back is that it is a heavy beast, but if you are going with others, it isn't that bad on the sleds.

That being said, I am looking for one that I can go solo in. So it depends on how you plan on using it, with others, it is nice to have the space, solo, don't even consider it.

AP

dead_weight
(Login dead_weight)
AA Forum Group

Pics

October 22 2013, 12:08 PM 

Hey Steve .. unless I missed it I haven't seen any picture heavy posts from you in a while ... I look forward to them ... has it been a slow summer/fall ?

swedish pimple
(Login swedishpimple30)
AA Forum Group

canvas tent for sale?stove too? package

October 22 2013, 7:35 PM 

yes,, and dog byte has first choice because my old e mail no worky. try the email with this post.let the bidding start. sorry about the delay,,slipped my mind

Splakin
(Login Splakin)
AA Forum Group

October 22 2013, 9:22 PM 

Hey Swed! Are you selling your tent? Let me know,
Splakin

DogByte
(Login DerekDB)
AA Forum Group

email

October 25 2013, 2:40 PM 

I was wondering why you were not responding to my emails happy.gif

swedish pimple
(Login swedishpimple30)
AA Forum Group

call mee

November 3 2013, 8:44 AM 

dogbyte call me about the tent. it is a u.s. military tent. throw in free liner,, $400,, i have a cabelas wood stove with pipes, damper an spark arrester. that is extra

Rob
(Login Splakin)
AA Forum Group

November 5 2013, 3:38 PM 

Still interested, let me know

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Since April 9, 2012