<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

winter camping

November 18 2013 at 5:21 PM
David  (Login loginthefire)
AA Forum Group

Ive done a few fine winter trips into APP; an amazing experience free of bugs and crowds. Once, in late February, the temp dipped to -33C ...ouch. I had a -25C rated bag and it was just barely warm enough along with some heavy weight underwear and a double ration of whisky.

But you and your -12C bag sh be ok: the average temps for APP in March is about -5.

Also, as all the winter camping veterans will tell you, its as much about what is under you - the insulated pad - as what is around you, i.e., the sleeping bag. I use an Exped Downmat because it is warm and because I am aging. Its a sweet luxury that makes my old Thermarest feel like one of those blue closed cell pad. On another trip, before I bought the Exped, my old Thermarest sprung a leak and I froze my arse off, even with my warm bag.

Re choice of boots - it depends on your activities. If you are snowshoeing and moving around lots, a winter hiking boot is adequate. Gaiters in the wet snow are a great investment too.

You will get lots more info from the winter camping gang on this forum as soon as 5 cm of snow touches down in the park.

Now you got me dreaming about winter camping instead of work. Nice problem to have though.

Good luck

Respond to this message   

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Since April 9, 2012