Return to Index  

...so anyway....Red wine + Steel Door Handle + Fiddy =UGH!!>>>>

March 27 2009 at 12:51 AM

covac  (Login covactanks)
High Heid Yin
from IP address 89.168.164.207

........Check this out sad.gif

C'mon ....most of us have been there .....you're with friends....your having a good time ......but suddenly ......you let your normal (wrist) guard down for a split second and BANG!!!....You crack your watch on a table , somone else's watch , or (in my case ) a cupboard door !!.....BUT....your in company and don't want to appear a little toooooo precious about 'a watch' !....soooooo .....you pretend like it's nothing ......but all the time , you're thinking .....'UGH.....I need to look at my watch .....It's a tough machine....but it hit that steel pretty hard ....!!'

Yup !!..........In your mind your thinking ....'Ahhh...It,ll be OK' .....but the cynical side of you is saying ....."Ha ....Unlucky M8...U just took a chunk out ya machine !!"

Soooo....You just HAVE to satisfy your curiosity and go to the bathroom for a good old look !!....
Well....Here's what I saw sad.gif .....
Look between the '12' and the word 'LUMINOR' sad.gif

Two....not ONE !!!....TWO!!.....pretty deep scratches ......
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Sooooooo....I show my mates (who have NO interest in watches) ....who say things like ...

"It's only a watch .......you can hardly see those scratches ....here ...have another beer !"

or....

"If you're that bothered ......go to that little watch repair place in the market .....I reckon they could change that glass for about £5 !"

Now .....

1/ As most of you here know .....a scratch like this is ...well.....it's like having your car 'keyed' .....it's horrible !!...Other people might not notice it ,,,,,but YOU know it's there (cos you keep digging your bloody nail in to it) sad.gif

2/ Last time I dropped a Fiddy .....The crystal alone cost me an eye watering £800 !!!....

So!!.....I had three choices ......

1/ Bite the bullet and send it to OP for a new crystal
2/ Ring Harry Potter to see if he could help
3/ Ask my M8's for a bit of advice

Well.......I'm soooooooooooo glad I took option 3 ...cos ...BBQ sent me a link to a post that a fellow UK bloke did ..... Kevin D (KAD) nearly a year ago .....Well...I read it ......and to be honest ...i thought I stood more chance of Harry Potter waving his magic wand than his option work ....but Hey!....anything is worth a go when your only other alternative is doing a grand on a new crystal ...right ? !! ...

So....Here goes......

First up .......

You need to purhase two syringes of 'Diamond Paste ' (about £8 per unit !!)

I ordered a 2.5 micron unit .....

And a 0.5 micron unit for 'finishing'.....

OK ....Here goes.....

Photobucket

So....First tape the watch up so you don't get the paste in any 'intimate' areas (erm.......where the crystal meets the steel)...

Photobucket

Then...apply a little of the 2.5 Micron paste ....and rub away with a cloth ....

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

After about 2-3 minutes rubbing ....I could'nt believe it !!....The scratches had GONE!!!.....

But.....I followed Kev's advice .....and finished the crystal off with the purple 0.5 micron (much'finer') paste ......Just a small amount on the end of a cloth rubbed in gently happy.gif

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

All done ....a quick rub with a polishing cloth ........

Photobucket

Can't believe it !!....This REALLY does work !!!.....Thankyou BBQ ....and Thanks Kev......If you're ever in Dunton Bassett .....the beers are on me M8 !! happy.gif ...

The finished Job (no more than 10 minutes work).....

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thx for reading ......and....I hope this gives hope to any of you who have a tendecy to walk into doors (like me ) happy.gif

hamcov.jpg

"I'll be the one to show you the way
You'll be the one to always complain "
Kings Of Leon

"I also realized that I don't have to own a watch to appreciate it and I came to understand that to me, watches only represent one facet of a life well lived. Plus I spend less time obsessing over what is next. I found watches not only tell time, they steal it if you let them "
Bernie Urban

This message has been edited by covactanks from IP address 92.28.116.170 on Apr 28, 2011 8:21 PM

Respond to this message   
Responses