Return to Index  

OT: Photobucket tutorial (how to get your pics to show up here!)

August 28 2010 at 7:06 AM

Micah  (Login micah249)
from IP address 99.60.149.100

This seems to be a topic that comes up frequently so I thought I'd offer some advice on how to get your photos onto this forum quickly and easily... and how to avoid those superfluous [IMG] tags around your pics too happy.gif This is a long post but don't be intimidated, it's really not that hard once you understand the basic concept.

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with Photobucket it's just the pic hosting site I've been using forever so this tutorial only applies directly to photobucket, though I suspect the concepts would apply to other pic hosting sites too.

Because of all the illustrations I used red font... so when you see red that means it's information and the picture following the red text is related to that bit of info. Sorry for the colored text but without it the whole thing is very confusing.

--- First things first: Paneristi.com doesn't host pictures, which means there is no way for users to "just upload pictures" to this site. You have to find a hosting service that will hold your pictures and provide you with URL's that you can copy/paste into your message text. I recommend Photobucket. Here's how.

--- Step 1:
Go to photobucket.com and sign up for an account or sign in if you already have one.

--- Step 2:
Once you have an account click the "Upload Images and Video" bar, a pop-up window will appear... navigate to the picture(s) you want to upload. This is a basic tutorial so I won't go into how to size your pics, but I find it best to do it prior to uploading. Keep in mind that not everyone has the new 27" iMac you're rocking happy.gif so don't make those pics TOO big, 1,000 pixels wide is sort of the upper limit IMO.

pbukt2.png

--- Step 3:
Under each picture you upload there should be a dizzying array of link options (you can click "Link options" at the bottom to select the ones you use and ignore the rest). Use either "Direct Link" or "HTML Code" do not use "IMG Code" or "HTML Thumb" (explained later)

pbukt3.png

--- Step 4:
Now you can have fun! Go to the paneristi.com forum you want to post on and click the "Post new thread" link. Remember to enter a NAME in "Your Name" or your post will show up as "anonymous"... not cool.

Drop your smoking hot wisdom in the "Message Text" field and then paste the Direct Link or HTML Code that you copied from photobucket into your post (see below for example of what it will look like at this point). Wherever you paste this code is where your image will show up. Post is looking good, you said some pithy stuff, everyone will be impressed right?

Don't click "Post" yet!

Instead do everyone a favor and hit that "Preview" button... this is your only chance to review, edit and correct... there is NO edit function on p.com...

pbukt4.png

--- Step 5:
Review review review! You're taking the time to post on the preeminent Panerai information website... you know... the one that is so well respected that Panerai themselves dedicated a watch to it's 10th anniversary? Come on, make that post sparkle m'kay? Here's how it should look... and if it looks this cool go ahead and hit Post.

pbukt5.png

--- BUT...
If you see these nasty, distracting [IMG] tags... you did something wrong...

pbukt6.png

You copied the wrong link from photobucket... you copied this one....
(Many forums use the [IMG] protocol, here at p.com it's not necessary)

pbukt7.png

You should have copied this one, note that it starts with 'img src' instead of 'IMG'

pbukt8.png

If your picture shows up very small that means you copied the HTML Thumb code, making your pic a small clickable thumbnail... thumbnails belong on thumbs, not in posts happy.gif

--- One more thing to check before you click "Post"...
Can you click your picture and be taken back to your photobucket account? Do you really want everyone to be able to check out your entire photobucket account? I didn't think so...

On any page of your photobucket account click on your user name...

sets1.png

Now click on "Account Settings"...

sets2.png

DE-select the "Images Link Back To Album" button...

sets3.png

Now reload your preview and your pic should no longer do anything when you click it. At worst it goes to the photobucket homepage, so what.

NOW you're ready to hit Post... and with a little luck... you're in business! Thanks for reading (especially the parts about NOT using the IMG code... sorry, pet peeve!) happy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gif

Respond to this message   
Responses