PAM372 vs PAM127...January 25 2011 at 8:09 PM
Martin Wilmsen (Select Login wilmsenm)
High Heid Yin
from IP address 22.214.171.124
I'd like to start by saying that Panerai did such an amazing job with the PAM372. I have no idea if anyone at Panerai actually reads the fora, but my guess is that they do.
The 372 is what we've all been asking for right? Probably more... Calling this watch a base Fiddy doesn't do it justice in my opinion. The Fiddy and the new 372 are two unique watches in their own right. I hope that I'll be able to own both.
I'll start with the larger versions of the pics that I took of the 327 at the SIHH last week. There are a couple of photos of the 372 together with the Fiddy down in this post.
Kinda hard to compete with the sexy press pictures that Panerai released, but considering that I took these at the fair, I'm not unhappy with the results... I know I'm not much of a writer, but I tried to describe things a bit too, not trying to make you fall asleep
As you can see in the below photo, the text is engraved/embossed, not printed on the dial. The text is yellowish/beige and the Luminova is beige too - which adds to the vintage looks of the watch.
I'm not sure why the dial appears to be slightly brown in some of the photos. It's black. I've noticed the same thing on some of last year's Panerai watches e.g. the PAM359.
In this picture at a different angle, the dial looks black again. Notice how the plexi sticks out.
The leather of the strap that comes with the watch has been carefully selected, it's a perfect match for the style of the watch.
A few case back photos. I'm no watch snob but I am very happy that the 372 uses an in-house movement.
The P.3000 calibre is the all new Panerai hand-wound mechanical movement and it has two spring barrels for a power reserve of 3 days. The new movement also has a quick set function that allows you to change just the hour hand without stopping the movement or affecting the minute hand. Nice.
I know quite a few of you feel that the watch should have had a solid case back, but I for one love that it doesn't.
As you can see, the new style case (OP6835) is polished but the crown guard is brushed.
Like the Fiddy, it has Reg. TM engraved on the crown guard. The lever closes to the top as opposed to the lever of the Fiddy which closes to the bottom.
So here's a photo of the 372 next to my Fiddy. So similar, yet so different.
The photo below shows the two cases seen from the side. Here's what the press release says about the new OP6835 case:
The new Luminor 1950 3 Days 47mm offers for the first time a historic case which marks a transitional phase: while having the characteristic Luminor features, the new case has a rounded, cusp-shaped caseband, which was evidently derived from the cushion form of the Radiomir case. Other small details mark the faithful relationship of the new model to a few extremely rare historic examples: the slimmer lugs, the engraving of the reference details between the lugs, the Plexiglas® crystal instead of a sapphire one and the wide, flat back with the words Officine Panerai engraved upon it.
The lugs are thinner. I think that the fact that the lugs are polished adds to how it appears as well. The different isn't that big.
Last pic of the 372 - trying to highlight the thickness of the plexi.
Thanks for looking
- first to say "Archive" - clifW on Jan 25, 2011, 8:12 PM
- Wow! - JB in Shaker on Jan 25, 2011, 10:18 PM
- Awesome duo Martin! - Meric on Jan 25, 2011, 8:14 PM
- Stunning photos and work as always Faboo ;-))) - Terry No. 2 on Jan 25, 2011, 8:16 PM
- well done sir! - bo on Jan 25, 2011, 8:18 PM
- Stunning and thank you. Pss I was out of town last week can you send me a link to any - Paddy on Jan 25, 2011, 8:22 PM
- Martin- The photos are fantastic!! I love both watches - Michael RadDoc on Jan 25, 2011, 8:24 PM
- BRILLIANT !!!...Thx Martin :-)) nt - covac on Jan 25, 2011, 8:24 PM
- Martin this is just perfect...really impressive (n/t) - Geoffrey Hess on Jan 25, 2011, 8:26 PM
- Wow..amazing as always Martin/nt - MrLy on Jan 25, 2011, 8:29 PM
- Another winning post Martin, cheers! - frankV on Jan 25, 2011, 8:31 PM
- THANK YOU MARTIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Cary James on Jan 25, 2011, 8:32 PM
- Great Martin, If anything this should give confidence back to the OG Fiddy... - Kevin O'Dell on Jan 25, 2011, 8:36 PM
- Thanks again Martin! - MarkC on Jan 25, 2011, 8:36 PM
- THANK YOU MARTIN for all your great posts!!! - Rainer on Jan 25, 2011, 8:39 PM
- Superlatives fail me as always - well done indeed Sir! - Chris (London) on Jan 25, 2011, 8:44 PM
- Brilliant Martin and thanks so much for the comparison shots - AndyH on Jan 25, 2011, 8:45 PM
- Wonderul report - tlg on Jan 25, 2011, 8:55 PM
- Thanks Martin! Just what we all were needed :) nt - Chia Yeoh on Jan 25, 2011, 8:55 PM
- Super photos, Martin! - Volker Wiegmann on Jan 25, 2011, 8:58 PM
- Thanks Martin. (nt) - ()r() on Jan 25, 2011, 9:02 PM
- 127 for me - Grahame on Jan 25, 2011, 9:03 PM
- You rockstar! It's like I held it in my hands ;) .nt - John in NJ on Jan 25, 2011, 9:05 PM
- Thank you Martin!! Great comparison between the 127 and 372. - Steve@Seattle on Jan 25, 2011, 9:05 PM
- I would say these are *better* than the Panerai press photos because - Jon on Jan 25, 2011, 9:08 PM
- WooooooW! Holy F.... - Kristian Hªªgen on Jan 25, 2011, 9:10 PM
- I'm speechless Martin. Wow. Thank you so much. - Michael R on Jan 25, 2011, 9:11 PM
- Thank you, Martin ... - E-Wit on Jan 25, 2011, 9:12 PM
- In the inimitable words of Jeff Spicoli...Awesome! - Keith W. on Jan 25, 2011, 9:17 PM
- Re: PAM372 vs PAM127... - Tom on Jan 25, 2011, 9:18 PM
- Why did you *have* to do this? - Mauiguy on Jan 25, 2011, 9:20 PM
- G R A I L piece for sure! - rbenz on Jan 25, 2011, 9:29 PM
- Hey Martin... - Aurelio S. on Jan 25, 2011, 9:29 PM
- Nothing else to say but.. - Shella on Jan 25, 2011, 9:30 PM
- Thanks Martin - Juste impossible to choose - Farbice75 on Jan 25, 2011, 9:34 PM
- wow from germany - lachender on Jan 25, 2011, 9:39 PM
- Awesome pics, Martin.....thanks for the screenssaver!!! nt - glet375 on Jan 25, 2011, 9:41 PM
- Great Great Presentation - Gentil on Jan 25, 2011, 9:47 PM
- Thank you Martin - amazing comes as standard!! <nt> - GUSH on Jan 25, 2011, 9:49 PM
- Perfect together! - steve krawse on Jan 25, 2011, 9:57 PM
- The Fiddy and The Mini Fiddy - Jay K on Jan 25, 2011, 9:57 PM
- Great detail! - Martin on Jan 25, 2011, 9:58 PM
- Brilliant Martin.. just brilliant.... - amanda on Jan 25, 2011, 10:06 PM
- speechless... - Phil on Jan 25, 2011, 10:12 PM
- Fantastic shots Martin, thank you for posting! Said before, say again... - Micah on Jan 25, 2011, 10:13 PM
- Awesome. - urbanskee on Jan 25, 2011, 10:17 PM
- great job martin love it.. - barams on Jan 25, 2011, 10:19 PM
- The winding crowns are not the same also - Polleke on Jan 25, 2011, 10:20 PM
- Da Mastah has spoken !!! - JZ365 on Jan 25, 2011, 10:29 PM
- Thank you again Martin... - matt-uk on Jan 25, 2011, 10:37 PM
- i'm speechless.... - Anonymous on Jan 25, 2011, 10:38 PM
- Martin, you are DA BOMB! - Howard Lazarus on Jan 25, 2011, 10:43 PM
- Goed gedaan Martin! Top - Barts27 on Jan 25, 2011, 10:44 PM
- Outstanding Martin !! the best pics in the forum. Thank you very much ! nt - Juan on Jan 25, 2011, 10:46 PM
- Incredible pics, Martin! - Eddie Sanchez on Jan 25, 2011, 11:00 PM
- Words can't describe - just brilliant photos! 372 definitely needs new hour hand> - goldie on Jan 25, 2011, 11:05 PM
- Fantastic Martin -- would love your thoughts... - cosmicmike on Jan 25, 2011, 11:19 PM
- Incredible - Altra220 on Jan 25, 2011, 11:32 PM
- That's the post everybody wanted to see !! Grazie ;)) - J-F on Jan 25, 2011, 11:59 PM
- stunning stuff martin! love 'em both. - epfunk on Jan 26, 2011, 12:15 AM
- Great review! Thanks for sharing. - dgo7 on Jan 26, 2011, 12:46 AM
- That's what I'm talking about :)) Huge thanks Martin! [nt] - Jason on Jan 26, 2011, 12:56 AM
- Explanation of black dial looking brown - Steve K on Jan 26, 2011, 1:01 AM
- Nice comparison Martin - Michael from Melbourne on Jan 26, 2011, 1:35 AM
- Awesome article...thanks Martin... - Brilliant on Jan 26, 2011, 1:36 AM
- Stunning Martin!!! - Chuck A on Jan 26, 2011, 1:54 AM
- Magnificent as always, Martin! Thanks for doing this - great stuff! (nt) - Drew Watson on Jan 26, 2011, 1:56 AM
- Great post Martin!! Thanks for sharing~~~~ - hongT on Jan 26, 2011, 2:01 AM
- WOW! . . Thank you Martin! nt - adman7 on Jan 26, 2011, 2:01 AM
- Awesome photos! - photosafaris on Jan 26, 2011, 2:16 AM
- Man! These pics are from another world!!!! - NachoM on Jan 26, 2011, 2:21 AM
- Simply Amazing photo's and subject Martin - Dan from NYC on Jan 26, 2011, 3:40 AM
- Great pics, thank you sooo much... - Ika Ho on Jan 26, 2011, 4:30 AM
- Amazing!!!!!!!!!! - RIDE on Jan 26, 2011, 4:50 AM
- Top post Martin, your pics say them all....thanks (nt) - Krieng on Jan 26, 2011, 5:07 AM
- Thanks Martin, as usual well done Sir. - Mark/pre-V-anderthal on Jan 26, 2011, 5:53 AM
- WoW WoW WoW - sc on Jan 26, 2011, 6:25 AM
- Thanks! Now that I see the comparison >> - ArifS on Jan 26, 2011, 7:18 AM
- Wow, very nice photos - conorb on Jan 26, 2011, 7:43 AM
- OMG. Unbelievable quality. Great comparison. Thanks for sharing. - Rick on Jan 26, 2011, 2:42 PM
- Both are killers indeed - ***JIGGO*** on Jan 26, 2011, 4:25 PM
- Thanks so much Sir Martin !(nt) - Togian on Jan 26, 2011, 6:16 PM
- Nice Comparison - Theo Kim on Jan 27, 2011, 1:51 AM
- Nicely done! - Nick on Jan 27, 2011, 5:24 AM
- Your photos are stunning as always, but ... - Henrik on May 5, 2013, 1:33 AM