Return to Index  

PAM372 vs PAM127...

January 25 2011 at 8:09 PM

Martin Wilmsen  (Select Login wilmsenm)
High Heid Yin
from IP address 77.166.210.187

I'd like to start by saying that Panerai did such an amazing job with the PAM372. I have no idea if anyone at Panerai actually reads the fora, but my guess is that they do.
The 372 is what we've all been asking for right? Probably more... Calling this watch a base Fiddy doesn't do it justice in my opinion. The Fiddy and the new 372 are two unique watches in their own right. I hope that I'll be able to own both.

I'll start with the larger versions of the pics that I took of the 327 at the SIHH last week. There are a couple of photos of the 372 together with the Fiddy down in this post.
Kinda hard to compete with the sexy press pictures that Panerai released, but considering that I took these at the fair, I'm not unhappy with the results... I know I'm not much of a writer, but I tried to describe things a bit too, not trying to make you fall asleep wink.gif

Here goes...

As you can see in the below photo, the text is engraved/embossed, not printed on the dial. The text is yellowish/beige and the Luminova is beige too - which adds to the vintage looks of the watch.

[linked image]

I'm not sure why the dial appears to be slightly brown in some of the photos. It's black. I've noticed the same thing on some of last year's Panerai watches e.g. the PAM359.

[linked image]

In this picture at a different angle, the dial looks black again. Notice how the plexi sticks out.

[linked image]

[linked image]

The leather of the strap that comes with the watch has been carefully selected, it's a perfect match for the style of the watch.

[linked image]

[linked image]

A few case back photos. I'm no watch snob but I am very happy that the 372 uses an in-house movement.
The P.3000 calibre is the all new Panerai hand-wound mechanical movement and it has two spring barrels for a power reserve of 3 days. The new movement also has a quick set function that allows you to change just the hour hand without stopping the movement or affecting the minute hand. Nice.
I know quite a few of you feel that the watch should have had a solid case back, but I for one love that it doesn't.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

As you can see, the new style case (OP6835) is polished but the crown guard is brushed.
Like the Fiddy, it has Reg. TM engraved on the crown guard. The lever closes to the top as opposed to the lever of the Fiddy which closes to the bottom.

[linked image]

[linked image]

So here's a photo of the 372 next to my Fiddy. So similar, yet so different.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

The photo below shows the two cases seen from the side. Here's what the press release says about the new OP6835 case:
The new Luminor 1950 3 Days 47mm offers for the first time a historic case which marks a transitional phase: while having the characteristic Luminor features, the new case has a rounded, cusp-shaped caseband, which was evidently derived from the cushion form of the Radiomir case. Other small details mark the faithful relationship of the new model to a few extremely rare historic examples: the slimmer lugs, the engraving of the reference details between the lugs, the Plexiglas® crystal instead of a sapphire one and the wide, flat back with the words Officine Panerai engraved upon it.

[linked image]

The lugs are thinner. I think that the fact that the lugs are polished adds to how it appears as well. The different isn't that big.

[linked image]

Last pic of the 372 - trying to highlight the thickness of the plexi.

[linked image]

Thanks for looking happy.gif
Martin

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Responses