Return to Index  

Panerai goes eXtreme! SUB-ZERO mountains trek with my BASE (pics, Semi OT)

February 14 2012 at 10:16 AM

Piter M  (Login PiterM)
from IP address 57.86.133.98

I'm just back from the mountains so I thought I'd share couple of pictures from my trip. To make it more Panerai related let me say that my BASE was with me and it was my official time-keeping device:

[linked image]

So here we go - trekking in sub-zero environment. Snow, ice, cold, mountains around... sounds perfect! Well, almost, as the weather was quite severe! My ProTrek went out of scale two days before. And there was -25 deg C when I woke up in the morning at 0500 AM. The pressure was quite high, so no risk of heavy snowfall. good day for a trip!

[linked image]

I had some SERIOUS climbing plan. However when I entered the snow area I found some signs like this:

[linked image]

So I adapted my plan in line with this very kind piece of advice. You know, I got wife, kids... I can take some risk but not such extreme risk. People die in avalanches every year in Tatra mountains. So I took an alternative route, which was a bit safer but still cool and demanding. Of course I wouldn't do it without proper mountaineering equipment:

[linked image]

And now some pictures of my trek. As you can see the lighting conditions were quite hard - some clouds around and low sun, freezing cold etc. so don't expecty colorful pictures - just reality:

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

And one of my favorite shelters, which I was luckily able to access that day:

[linked image]

Inside - hot coffee! Finally! The best coffee I had this Winter wink.gif

[linked image]

This is the place, where you can always find some pro-climbers discussing gear & methods:

[linked image]

It gets dark quite early in the Winter... My Panerai says: "time to go back!"

[linked image]

Meteo station and old metal cross (which reminds everyone that it's not the safest place, especially in the Winter)

[linked image]

And view from "Betlejemka", which is legendary Polish climbing training center - small, old, wooden shelter, right in the middle of the mountains. And also some other views on the way back...

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

And this is the end. Cheers!

P

Respond to this message   
Responses