Return to Index  

Mini-GTG in Tokyo

March 21 2012 at 2:29 PM

(Login TokyoSkier)
from IP address 111.90.86.29

TokyoSkier's First GTG

Been a Paneristi for just a few weeks and I got an email asking if I would like to join a little GTG in Tokyo. Took me all of a second to reply, "YES!!!"

We met March 20th in Ginza at the Panerai Boutique. It'd been my first time there, so I was very impressed by the clock on the wall.

Photobucket

I'd love one of these in my home, but I don't think the missus would approve.wink.gif

From the boutique we went to a great restaurant for "California Italian" it was really good food. We started off with some Anchor Steam. Here's Max and his:

Photobucket

But we ain't here for the food or the beer! We want PAMs!! Here's a pic of Ebata-san with his 372, one of two that showed up for the night (if I am not mistaken). It was the first time for me to hold such a big watch (47mm). He let me try it on and it works! Being 6' 2" and 230 lbs has its benefits after all. Hmmm...one day I will have to add one to my collection!

Photobucket

Photobucket

As we continued to eat and drink, we started seeing some interesting pieces. This is a relatively rare 26A.

Photobucket

Here's a pic of the organizers: Max and Jason with Dan, who brought an amazing piece IMHO a 262! Have read about them, but never thought I would ever see one let alone get to try one on!

Photobucket

This is me giddy with a Bronzo and the 262. The 382 was not light, but the 262 was by far the heaviest watch I have ever held! I guess if you can afford the platinum, you dont worry about the weight. I know I wouldn't! It was also my first chance to handle a 382 -- that was really nice! Thanks, Max, for letting me try it on. Will be interesting to see how the patina progresses.

Photobucket

Here's my new 320 next to the 262. Gotta win the lottery! Gotta win the lottery! (Also started thinking, "I'm not worthy!" "I'm not worthy!")

Photobucket

We were sitting, talking, and I felt bad for Yuki, Max's friend. We were all ignoring her. wink.gif So, I tried to incorporate her into the discussion. For the record, she prefers the Harry Winston Opus 12. LOL! Honestly, dont blame her, though! That is an amazing watch, IMO.

Photobucket

We were well into the first hour of great food, cold beer, fine watches, and thought we'd take a pic:

Photobucket

And a preliminary table shot. Don't worry! There is much more where these came from!

Photobucket

And on a night of many firsts for me, I also got to see what the big deal about "plexi" was. Thats nice!!

Photobucket

So after gorging ourselves on salad, pizza, pasta, and even more pizza, we decided it was time for dessert: Panerai spaghetti!

Photobucket

All kinds of cameras were whipped out and we took picture after picture after picture! What a great "pile of spaghetti"!

Hey wait, what's Jason doing?! That wasn't the pot -- this wasn't poker night! It was a GTG!

But could you blame him?

Photobucket

After all kinds of talk about our past, present, and future PAMs, we decided to call it a night and took one last pic for "Eric's First GTG Report"

Photobucket

All in all it was a wonderful four hours that I will never forget and I sincerely appreciate having been invited to participate. If you are ever in Tokyo and wanna get together, the Tokyoristi are here and waiting. Thanks for reading.

Eric Skier (a.k.a. TokyoSkier)

PS And I am finally "getting" that Panerai is "So much more than just a watch."

Respond to this message   
Responses