Return to Index  

OT * Bronze brothers

April 23 2012 at 4:26 AM

docfink  (Login docfink)
from IP address 71.168.215.44

Like many here, I wanted a 382, and had my name on several lists since the day it was announced in January 2011. Time went on, and while I realize that "the call" can come many months later, I wasn't feeling the luck with this one.

I saw that Ennebi was going to produce a bronze watch and decided that one would fit the bill for me, as I wasn't going to get a 382, and I always dug the Fondales regardless. It was fun to spec out the Ennebi, much as one would spec out a car, and the order was placed.

So what happens? I get super lucky and get the 382, before the Ennebi was produced (but paid for, of course)! Do I need two bronze watches? Of course not, but I thought you'd enjoy some comparison shots.

A couple things to note. The Ennebi is a wonderful, attractive watch that garners as much attention in the week I've owned it as any other watch I have--382 included. It has a hand-made quality (probably because it is) that is foreign to the 382, but possibly resembles the Panerais of the 1990s. I am not putting down the watch's quality. That is to say some of the Fondale's "quirks" might have to be attended to, but their customer service is amazing, so I'm not concerned. Please excuse the dust in my photos, as these are untouched JPEGs.

Photobucket

The colors of the two are pretty accurate here, I believe. The Ennebi is a "red/brown" with "vintage" lume; the Panerai is an Army green. You can see that my 382 is showing some signs of patina at nearly 3 months.

Photobucket

See the Ennebi's crackled finish on high magnification?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here they're on top of the Panerai's box:

Photobucket

Here they're sitting on the Ennebi's box:

Photobucket

Photobucket

They're both incredibly cool, unique watches. One day I might find myself thinking, "Egad! How did I ever where those rusted tuna cans on this skinny wrist?", and then happily put on my '97 36mm Datejust, but I plan to enjoy the hell out of them now.

david

This message has been edited by FrankV1 from IP address 66.176.215.110 on Apr 23, 2012 9:35 AM

Respond to this message   
Responses