Return to Index  

OT: My first trip to Italy

June 3 2012 at 10:13 AM
  (Login dsiewmy)
from IP address 175.145.213.146

2 weeks ago, i had the opportunity to visit Italy for the first time. Although i've been to a number of places, i have never been to italy. I don't know why is it so, but i guess fate hasn't arrived yet.

So when the opportunity (or an excuse) came along, i snapped at it immediately without question.
Although actual work was done on this trip, i have to honestly say most of the time was spent hunting down the 3 panerai boutiques and meeting wonderful people.

(Disclaimer : I'm a lousy photographer, and although the camera i used was a decent one, i'm seriously lacking some skills)

started of with a transit at the doha airport (also a first for me!)
IMG_2164.JPG

once i arrived malpensa, i took the express train to the centrale station.
it's funny that i pronounce it as "central" but the italians pronounce it as "centra-leh".
IMG_2170.JPG

funny note: please note that the first person to actually speak to me when i arrived italy, was in fact a chinese, who spoke to me in mandarin. and also, the last person who spoke to me was a VAT officer, was also a chinese national, in mandarin. pretty peculiar especially when i'm in italy.

next morning, i headed to the duomo, it was pretty early, not much crowd yet
IMG_2203.JPG

next to it was the Emmanuelle 2 plaza, pretty nice
IMG_2183.JPG

i heard somewhere that this is the first prada boutique EVER!!!
IMG_2191.JPG

love the cobblestone streets, everything seems so vintage
IMG_2207.JPG

i even saw a watchmaker selling vintages next to the duomo, i simply love the word "orologeria"
IMG_2213.JPG
the crowd building up at the duomo
IMG_2214.JPG

first boutique, was the MILAN boutique at via montenapoleone
IMG_2252.JPG

all i can say for this boutique is it's a very modern one but with FANTASTIC people working in it.
Mr Pietro is a very nice guy who spent a lot of time talking with me, and the rest of the Panerai staff are just super helpful as well
IMG_2274.JPG

Pietro even took the time to show me some pretty rare pieces such as :
pam350
IMG_2260.JPG

not only is the box HUGEEEE, the watch is actually pretty beautiful in person. i actually appreciated tourbillion when i was looking at it (=i'm not a big complication guy)
IMG_2264.JPG

and of course, my favorite was the marine chronometer
IMG_2266.JPG

very well built and fantastic to look at, but too bad the pricetag is way out of reach
IMG_2269.JPG

after bidding farewell to the Milan boutique, i was preparing myself to Firenze!! the next day
IMG_2304.JPG

initially i was worried i wouldn't be able to find the boutique, but turns out, it's PRETTY EASY to find. just follow the crowd to the duomo
IMG_2317.JPG

and SMACK in front of it is.... the first boutique
it took me like 15 mins to get a shot with nobody walking pass or standing around. it's a pretty busy area
IMG_2329.JPG

inside the florence boutique, everybody was very busy and a lot of customers were buzzing in and out. so i didn't spend much time in here
IMG_2324.JPG

after leaving the florence boutique, i quickly hunted for my next boutique, the Four Seasons boutique. On my way there, i saw this : .. is this the reason why we can't use MM anymore? if yes, i'm pretty dissapointed. their products aint that great.
IMG_2341.JPG

i even took time to see the ponte vecchio, was a pretty sight
note : i only walked around other sights because the four seasons boutique has a lunch hour break. so please don't go there during lunch time.

IMG_2342.JPG

the ponte vecchio was a pretty amazing sight. a bunch of old shops (a couple hundred years old) all selling jewellery on an old bridge
IMG_2343.JPG

i asked around for directions to the four seasons, and they told me it was 15 minutes away by foot. and i walked.
IMG_2367.JPG

15 mins passed, and i walked some more
IMG_2368.JPG

only after 25 minutes of walking, i saw the sight of the hotel
IMG_2369.JPG

i have to say that this is a beautiful hotel. but what was more beautiful was the entrance to the Four Seasons Panerai boutique.
IMG_2372.JPG

IMG_2408.JPG

IMG_2409.JPG

even the door arch looked amazing
IMG_2375.JPG

i met up with Ms Valentina who was kind enough to show me the grounds of the hotel.
IMG_2376.JPG

there's an old convent in this hotel which is converted to being an exclusive wing now
IMG_2378.JPG

IMG_2380.JPG

IMG_2382.JPG

IMG_2383.JPG

back in the boutique, as there was a fellow pinoy risti visiting the boutique as well. Ms Valentina was busy helping him. During this time, i took time to admire the boutique.
Although it was a simple room with a showcase of watches, one has to take some time to actually feel the atmosphere in there, and i have admit, after awhile it's pretty damn amazing. the art on the walls start to grow on you.
IMG_2392.JPG

apparently the art on the wall are all hundreds of years old. i'm not one for vintage art, but they do look pretty old and most importantly, they looked like they had a story to tell.
IMG_2387.JPG

IMG_2391.JPG

IMG_2396.JPG
after awhile i realised this was an amazing working environment, it was calm and serene and even had a nice view of the outside
IMG_2404.JPG
now i'm totally jealous of this office.

After awhile, i think Valentina found that i was bored and showed me some STRAPsss...and it was my first time looking at OEM straps in this way, it was nice happy.gif
IMG_2398.JPG

IMG_2399.JPG

i spent a whole afternoon at the boutique with Valentina, and a fellow pinoy risti. we talked about watches and even had afternoon tea.
before i left, a photo together with valentina
IMG_2415.JPG

when i was leaving, i couldn't stop thinking that there was something very different with this boutique from the others. i couldn't explain what it was, was it the atmosphere, was the valentina-effect? or was it because of this ...
IMG_2416.JPG

whatever it was, i conclude that it was the warm hospitality by all the boutiques. everybody was amazing. it was my first time in a boutique whereby i felt welcomed and felt like i was an actual customer (even though i didnt buy anything).

and as i left both florence boutiques, it was time to bid goodbye and it was the end of a day and also an end to my trip
IMG_2428.JPG

IMG_2436.JPG

hope you enjoyed reading and i'm sorry for the length
IMG_2429.JPG

Respond to this message   
Responses