Return to Index  

OT - proud parent moment. . .

June 12 2012 at 4:24 PM

Kev.  (Login khaugh)
from IP address 216.52.215.232

I just wanted to share a few quick iPhone shots of my son's SSI training over the weekend. He is only 10 but loves the ocean as much as I do. It is only natural that he would pursue this great sport. Reading about Mike Horn's Young Explorer's Program taught me not to limit my son's ambition for exploration because of his young age.

Photobucket

Here he is in Day 1 of his training. He took it very seriously and earned a 94% on the written exam (outsouring all of the adults in the class). I got certified over 15 years ago. It was interesting and somewhat reassuring to me how little the material and training had changed.

Photobucket

I happened to have my Doxa COSC Pro on that day. As I sat outside the pool (for hours), one customer of the dive shop noticed my Doxa and asked me about it. He said his brother, who currently lives in Turkey, has an orange Doxa and has dived with it for years. I've been diving with mine for seven years now. Anyone on this board from Holland, currently living in Turkey and diving with a Doxa? Lol, you never know, right?

Photobucket

Dirk Pitt has nothing on this little guy. It is only when he is saddled with all the modern SCUBA gear that I'm reminded - he is only 10 years old. By the way, he is sporting the Japan Tsunami Relief Luminox dive watch. All the proceeds for the sale of the watch went to the Japan Tsunami relief effort. I was happy to buy the watch, but it is smaller than I'm used to so I set it aside. When my son expressed interest in SCUBA, I offered it to him as a reward for getting certified.

Photobucket

Kids don't seem to have the fear we adults bear after a lifetime of speculation about 'what ifs' and obscure but memorable scary ocean tales. SCUBA has inherent risks to be sure, but training minimizes those risks and SSI did a great job with the training. He now has his "referral open water dive certification", 4 ocean dives and his certification will be complete. For those dives, we'll head to warmer waters of Hawaii. Where I'll be taking this one out to measure elapsed time and depth.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Thanks for looking. Hawaii dive shots (PAM 307) to come!

Kev.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Respond to this message   
Responses