Return to Index  

a bit more info

February 10 2013 at 9:28 AM
Bruno  (Login Bruno.M1)
from IP address 84.197.251.83

Response to Well OT: Advice re Cartier for my daughter, please.......

I've seen a few of these but not often. These were probably made in the early 1990's and belonged to the 'must de Cartier' line.

Cartier had 3 groups of watches.

1/ Must de Cartier
Those were the cheap entry level watches. afaik always quartz.
'Must de Cartier' was somethimes printed on the dial but not always
Some were steel, others steel and gold but the gold was very often gold plated.
Price at that time was more or less 1000 - 1500 euro

2/ Cartier
Those were the watches we all know, price range in the 1990's started at more or less 2000
and the movements were almost always ETA based. Most famous was probably the Pasha
Good watches

3/ Cartier Paris - Collection PriveƩ
The best they offered. I don't think they were inhouse at that time but they did use better than
the average movements. It was not a cheap ETA but for example a JLC or F.Piguet. AND they really
did put some effort in the finishing. Not comparable with Patek ofcourse but much better than any
Panerai / Rolex / IWC / ...
I think they started at 10K and went much higher if you wanted a tourbillon.

Now, Since I got addicted more than 20 years ago happy.gif I knew these 'Must de Cartier' but being a watch fan
those quartz pieces were not what I was looking for happy.gif So I know a bit of them but not very much.
But I do remember 1 specific model and that was the 'Cartier 21' . I would have bought it if it was not a quartz.
22 till 25 years ago this was by far the most popular Cartier in the 'Must de Cartier' line. I do remmeber these
had a 1200 euro price tag at that time. 1200 was for the model with steel bracelet, the same watch with leater strap
was probably a few hundred less.
So if your daughter wants such a Cartier I would reccommend her to look at the 21.
These will be available starting from 700 - 800 euro.
The watch in the ebay link will be cheaper because it was and is not popular, the 21 on the other hand still sells pretty well
in the secondhand market.

wanne see more watch pictures ? http://www.bruno-wristwatches.blogspot.com/

Respond to this message   
Responses