Return to Index  

jorney ...

October 6 2017 at 11:57 PM
Ken  (Login PAM062E)
from IP address 203.63.94.34

Response to The Journey

I am new here but, I have been enjoying Panerai for a decade now and I am still charmed by the aesthetically perfect case shape and the font on the dial. "to go to a cocktail party and see everyone wearing a Panerai" This may be a problem if you go to a cocktail party but, in my playgrounds I don't see this and I am still okay with this aspect. But, I see this problem and this is unavoidable to any watch brand transforming from a niche to a mainstream brand. Perhaps, Panerai did this transformation too quick? They seem to be slowing down and this is a good move as this will eventually improve their presence in the market nera future when both India and China get richer and a gigantic luxury market is created. Perhaps, some discontinued PAM models would become like vintage daytonas by them (hopefully!).

To me Panerai is a cousin of Rolex with which my watch journey started. My father gave me his old Date Just in the 80s and this was my first serious watch which I still enjoy after more than 30 years of ownership. I didn't know Panerai until I saw one in mid 2000 when I got the bug. I really like the case shape of Radiomir because it resembles the old Rolex bubble back. The case profile on rads is free of inflection point and the lines are free of contamination. This also applies to the font used. I had a couple of Luminor models but, I realize what I enjoy is the Rolex side of Panerai and here I have a couple of 40 mm rads with other oyster cases.

Respond to this message