Return to Index  

And this Panerai went to Vienna..........

November 26 2017 at 2:47 PM

Rapers  (Login rapers)
Paneristi
from IP address 176.252.54.132

I have twin daughters of 27, Juliet and Natalie. Back in 2005, I took Natalie to Berlin just before she sat public exams in German - a rather nostalgic visit for me, since I spent a month in Berlin in 1965 when I was 15.

What one does for one twin must, of course, be done for the other. Juliet and I had always agreed that we would visit Vienna, but the question was when. As it happens, it only took 12 years (!) for us to arrange things - she’s getting married next March, so I thought I must make good on my promise before then.

As a result, we travelled to Vienna last weekend. Happily, this also coincided with the opening of Vienna’s traditional Christmas Markets. To a considerable degree, these Christmas Markets are just a really great excuse to eat a lot and to drink loads of Gluhwein - warm red spiced wine which is a wolf in sheep’s clothing to judge by the hangover I woke up with the next morning!

Vienna also gave us the opportunity to meet up with one of the faithful band of Paneristi, Christian Bauer who, in typical Paneristi spirit looked after us brilliantly. We were also delighted to meet Christian’s wife, Silvia. Christian and Silvia, thank you very much!

[linked image]

Hoping I can get Imgur to work for me, here are some more pics - Vienna is a city of magnificent buildings and a great place to walk. Saturday saw me walk 17,000 paces, compared with my usual daily average of about 2,000. Slob? Moi?

Sampling the Gluhwein
[linked image]

Vienna Town Hall by night

[linked image]

[linked image]

Christian with his 372, me with my 162

[linked image]

Christmas Market

[linked image]
[linked image]

Supper. What else do you eat in Vienna if not Wienerschnitzel?

[linked image]

And guess what? We found Wagner, a local AD

[linked image]
[linked image]

St. Stephen's Cathedral

[linked image]

Walking around the city. The Town Hall by day

[linked image]
[linked image]

The Parliament building

[linked image]

Other impressive architecture
[linked image]
[linked image]

Saturday lunch, Schnitzel Cordon Bleu and Spaetzle

[linked image]

Saturday afternoon, Christian met up with us again (this time sporting a 233 Dot Dial) and we visited the Hundertwasser house, a most peculiar building designed by Friedensreich Hundertwasser, a bit reminiscent of Gaudi in Barcelona

[linked image]

Saturday evening saw us at the opera - The Magic Flute at the Volksoper, then Sunday lunch at Figlmuller, the place for schnitzel. Have to confess this one beat me...

[linked image]
[linked image]

And that's just about it. Thanks again to you, Christian - we thoroughly enjoyed meeting you.

If you've got this far, thanks for sticking with me!

Respond to this message   
Responses