Return to Index  

Absolutely this question is appropriate

December 6 2017 at 5:55 PM
Alex S  (Login SashaSh)
Paneristi
from IP address 204.62.195.253

Response to PAM 721 “Nazi Kampfschwimmer”

Without going too deep into the morality of war and all that is associated with it, we definitely cannot deny the emotional sensitivity that the most devastating war in human history brings about. Even three generations after it took place. The further you are removed from these events the easier it is to be objective. As someone of Soviet Jewish ancestry, I struggle throughout my life to rectify the fact that present day Germans are not responsible for what happened over 70 years ago, but then again two thirds of my family perished during that war and everyone I grew up with in the Soviet Union was directly or indirectly affected by the Nazi Germany's actions.

I do not want to bring this struggle on to anyone, but merely mention the sensitivity that is associated with bringing an object (a beautiful piece by the way) back to life that is associated with dark history. This is a decision by the Panerai team that should have been considered and weighted and I feel there is definitely merit to bring this argument as a result. Not the cold metal, but the symbolism it represents should be understood with a bit more empathy. And so I echo the question - why this model?!

Respond to this message   
Responses