<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

My Desert Island Dream by Chris Agostino

May 15 2008 at 5:18 PM

Chris Agostino  (Select Login ChrisAg)
from IP address 68.161.230.169

So I get this phone call…

Tom Perkins: “Hey, Chris. Wanna buy a boat? It’s only 233 million dollars. Check out the picture”

Me: “Looks pretty. Sure, why not. But I’m gonna have to give it a float first.”

The last thing I remember is seeing this on the radar

And then I ended up here…

And so the saga begins…

Ship sinking: washed ashore 10 items

2 Watches:

The first would be my 233. This is the watch that got me back into Panerai and with an 8 day power reserve I won’t have to wind it daily.

The second would be my Franck Muller, which I wore on my wedding day. Great looking watch and with great sentimental meaning.

2 Songs:

Of course on a deserted island you would need some island music so my first song is an island classic, or at least the name is…

St. Thomas by Sonny Rollins on the magnificent Saxophone Colossus album

My second song is actually in three parts. It is the Concierto Andaluz for Four Guitars and Orchestra performed by the Romeros and the San Antonio Symphony. This music just brings a smile to my face and on a deserted island who couldn’t use a smile on their face?

1 Book:

My book of choice is one that I truly love, The Count of Monte Cristo. What a phenomenal story about love and determination and revenge. A great read and a wonderful way to pass the time.

1 Movie:

The movie was so obvious my wife guessed it right away. It is my favorite movie and has one of my favorite scenes…

“Refund!?”

The movie is Breaking Away

1 Photograph:

The photograph was tough for me as I take a lot of pictures and they all have meaning. I think the one that I would want to have with me would be this one…

It would remind me of home.

1 Memory:

The one memory is easy. Forgive me for going on with this one, but it was a special time for me so here it is…

The night I got engaged.

I had it all planned out how I was going to propose: one night on the Brooklyn Bridge looking into Manhattan. I was planning on picking up the ring on Friday and then waiting until the following week to pop the question. I remembered my dad telling me that when he got engaged to my mom that once he had the ring in his possession he couldn’t wait and did it immediately. When I picked up the ring, I felt the same way. Change of plans…

It was raining that Friday night and I wanted to do it in a place that would always be there for us to remember especially since all of the other significant places in our relationship (the place we met, the first real date) were gone. I chose the American Museum of Natural History on the upper west side. It was a special place for us; we used to sit on their benches in front of the entrance and smoke cigars. My wife was dancing on Broadway at the time and I arranged to meet her at the subway after the show to go get wine for a GTG we were having with friends that weekend. I had a terrible cold and the weather didn’t help. I had the ring in my pocket and my hand on top of it the entire time to make sure I didn’t lose it.

I met her at the subway and persuaded her to go for a walk with me in the rain. She loves the rain so that was easy. We wound our way through the streets of Manhattan and eventually wound up at the back of the museum. I asked her if she wanted to sit on the benches like we used to do and she said sure. We made our way to the front of the building and I had planned to go up under the entry, out of the rain to propose. As we got there I noticed that there were a bunch of homeless people all camped out where I wanted to propose! I started to get nervous and was a little frustrated. Here I am with the ring and my hand in my pocket, holding an umbrella with this great idea of popping the question in a very sentimental place for us and it was all getting messed up. I started to think about doing it another night and was trying to figure out how to get to the liquor store for the wine and back home without her noticing the bulge in my pocket when my wife suggested that we just sit on one of the benches in the rain. I was thinking “ok this is going to be it”. As she sat down I knelt down in front of her, holding the umbrella above her head and proposed.

Needless to say, we still have that umbrella and I’m not allowed to use it ever again. That is the one memory that I will always hold on to.

1 Meal:

As for my meal, it would have to be one that my grandmother made. Her lasagna, meatballs and gravy were unsurpassed. And the chocolate cream pie was fantastic. Unfortunately, my wife was only able to sample one of her fabulous meals before my grandmother passed. She was a big fan of her eggplant parmigiano. I wish I had pictures of the fabulous food to share with you, but of course it wouldn’t come close to the taste. She has truly been missed.

1 Person:

The one person would be my wife. Who else is gonna cook???

No, really, she is my best friend and my best travel companion. She is the one I want to wake up with and the one I want to fall asleep with. I couldn’t think of another person I would want to be stuck with on an island.

I am very happy to share this with you. Thanks for reading.

Rules for responders: just post your name underneath . Prepare your script, but do not post it. I will pick someone to post next week.

Thanks for playing guys

Previous weeks

1 Paddy
2 MuRph
3 Covac
4 Ride
5 Lars
6 Issing San
7 Patrick Belgium
8 Mark Cap
9 Diego
10 Gary
11 Arif
12 Polleke
13 Davie Lee
14 Mike2zero
15 David S
16 Nad (aka Nadzilla)
17 Chris Agostino

Chris NYC

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

conorb
(Login bueschc)

"I want American food, I want

May 15 2008, 5:21 PM 

French Fries!"

Great movie, great post.

conorb

Respond to this message   

Nashville Brad
(Login bknieriem)

Awesome!! Thanks Chris!!

May 15 2008, 5:25 PM 

nt

"Something Wicked This Way Comes..."

Respond to this message   
TJS
(Login tommysol)

Best DI post yet..very touching! Thanks for sharing...nt

May 15 2008, 5:30 PM 

nt

Respond to this message   

Gatsby
(Login GatsbyTheRat)
Paneristi

Fantastic Chris!!!! :)

May 15 2008, 5:35 PM 

I'm all smiles reading this, especially the love you have for your wife. The Count of Monte Cristo is a charming read; I like it too Take care Chris.

Ts and Hyphens; PVDs and PreVs
Gab/Melbourne, Australia

Respond to this message   

Frank
(Login fmcatman)
Paneristi

hey add me to the list, it looks like fun

May 15 2008, 5:38 PM 

nt.

Respond to this message   

Chas
(Login angustami)
Paneristi

Great post Chris!!!!!!!

May 15 2008, 5:46 PM 

You actually brought tears to my eyes
Chas

Chas Robertson
OH IO

Respond to this message   
Ashley
(Login Ashley.99)

Very romantic

May 15 2008, 5:47 PM 

She's one lucky girl, and you too, a lucky boy

All the very best to you.

Respond to this message   
SteveToronto
(Login SteveToronto)

Excellent post!

May 15 2008, 5:57 PM 

nt

Respond to this message   

mike2zero
(Login mike2zero)
Paneristi

Well done my friend....well done

May 15 2008, 6:57 PM 

mike2zero
Beaverton, Oregon

"In Simplicity lies true greatness" -Francesco De Sanctis

Respond to this message   

Dude
(Login Dooderino)

The funny thing is that ship sank on its test drive before purchase >>

May 15 2008, 7:24 PM 

Nice touch!

Excellent post

Canada

"The object of life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, 'Holy Shit, What a Ride!!!" - Mavis Leyrer

Respond to this message   

Kanellos
(Login Kanellos)
Paneristi

Great post and nice pics. nt

May 15 2008, 7:47 PM 

-

Best,
K

A true friend stabs you in the front.
-Oscar Wilde

Respond to this message   

MichaelO
(Login OPfanCC)
Paneristi

Plus, she enjoys a good cigar...

May 15 2008, 8:16 PM 

great list, Chris!

Respond to this message   

Polleke
(Login Paul-Belgium)
Paneristi

Great Dessert Island Dream Chris very romantic

May 15 2008, 8:30 PM 

Polleke

Respond to this message   

Action Dan
(Login actiondan)

Splendid !! Top of the line choices :) !! Thanks for sharing !! n/t

May 15 2008, 11:24 PM 

n/t

MOBILIS IN MOBILE

Respond to this message   
Atomic
(Login atomic-noob)

Hey, that's my favourite movie of all time! :)

May 15 2008, 11:50 PM 

Respond to this message   

ArifS
(Login samen)
Paneristi

Great story m8. Thanks for sharing (nt)

May 16 2008, 6:59 AM 

Respond to this message   

Addo
(Login addoo)

Sonny Rollins!!!

May 16 2008, 12:37 PM 

An absolutly fabulous track! Great choice!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index