<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Desert Island Dream......by Socko

May 26 2008 at 2:19 PM

Socko  (Login porsche-964)
Paneristi
from IP address 76.18.230.134

Before I start, I want to tell everyone why my name is Socko. Some of you know the story already, so please indulge me. I showed up at a little mini GTG with David (aka Beef / Karkas), and I brought a few watches along with me. Didn't have a case to hold my machines, so I threw each of them into nothing less than an old sock. Well, the pictures were posted and my buddy ReTTo saw them and started calling me Mr. Socko. It was pretty funny, and I got a laugh out of it. But since I'm not such a formal guy, I just go by Socko....

So anyway....

The storm

Photobucket

The aftermath

Photobucket

Luckily I found a desert island:

Photobucket

I'll make a wish with my multi-purpose hurricane lamp to get me out of this place...

Photobucket

....and back to civilization.

Photobucket

My two watches

The first nice watch I ever owned was given to me by father. It was not a gift per se, but he waited until I graduated from college before giving it to me. The watch belonged to my great grandfather. I remember going into his dental office as a very young boy and taking toys out of a treasure chest that he stocked with toys for his patients. Every time he took vacations in the islands, he would come back with a new watch. Just so happened that he was fond of Patek Philippe. Lucky me.

The watch I inherited is Ref. 2432, rose gold, 31mm case with sub seconds at six o'clock. A beautiful and elegant watch with inverted teardrop lugs, it's really hard to wear this now after wearing a Panerai. My brother and father each have a vintage Patek as well. You never actually own a Patek Philippe. You merely look after it for the next generation. So true.

Photobucket

The other watch that I would bring with me is my PAM 40. Special edition, 200 pieces, titanium case, black face, fat tritium numbers, pre-A dial. Enough said.

Photobucket

I had to sneak in a few other watches so I would know what time it was across the world. No more GMT watches for me, for now.

This first one is special because it is from Peter Speake-Marin. It's my first piece from an independent watchmaker. I always like to support the mom and pop shops. Well, the PSM fits that bill nicely.

Photobucket

The next two speak for themselves:

Photobucket

Photobucket

My two songs

This was a tough one for me. I like so many different types of music, from Live to DMB to Clapton to Steely Dan. I went with two songs that really speak to me for the lyrics.

First--"You're Beautiful" by James Blunt. It's about a man wanting to be with a certain woman, yet he realizes that it will never happen. Maybe that's why I'm still a bachelor!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8Y7WDWP8WMs

Second--"Shed a Little Light" by James Taylor. Listen to the lyrics at the beginning of the song. Life would be better if we could all appreciate these words. I hope you understand and share this song with someone else.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=p18qu4Te9j4

One movie

National Lampoon's Animal House--a classic in it's own right. All-star cast. Silly? You bet. Worth watching over and over? Absolutely. If you need a good laugh, this movie will do it. And come on, who can't relate to SOMETHING in this movie?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=09byrgGCZv0

These guys have nothing on a bunch of Paneristis at a GTG:

Photobucket

One book

"The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini. A powerful story of two young boys growing up together in Kabul in the midst of war. It's about family, friendship, betrayal and salvation. It is an absolute must read.

Photobucket

One memory

August 18, 2007. Carlsbad, California. Over 150 Paneristis from across the globe converge to support a wonderful man and friend, Hammer, as he enters Project Walk. It was a tremendous gathering, full of camaraderie, laughs, jokes and tears. I was able to meet some of the best people in the Paneristi community that night. The watches brought us together, but the friendships are what keep us here.

Photobucket

One person

This is a tough one. So many influential people in my life, from my mother and father to my grandmother. But one person who has always been there for me is my ex-girlfriend Jenna. As crazy as she made me at times, which is why she is my ex, she is a great person with a heart of gold. She supported and understood my silly watch addiction and was actually interested in hearing all the stories about you guys. The song above by James Blunt always reminds me of her.

Photobucket

One photograph:

Yes, it is a picture of me. But this picture is symbolic of so much more. First and foremost, the shirt I am wearing came from a good friend DU who I have yet to meet in person, a great guy who shares the same passions as me. We are brothers from different mothers. EWit, thanks for your friendship. S4L.

The words on the shirt are more than words. They represent the fight of a lifetime for one of our very own. I have learned that no matter how bad things might be for me, somewhere out there someone has it tougher. I can inspire others by offering hope and strength. Never give up. Never give in. Fight for what you believe in, and then fight some more. You are in control of your own Biff.

The picture was taken inside the Firenze Boutique. It was the first Boutique I visited (followed by the Portofino Boutique on the same trip). It was a happy time for me because I was with my entire family on vacation, and I was able to get my first Panerai from a Boutique. The entire trip was such a wonderful experience that I will never forget.

Photobucket

My one meal

I'll start off with a bottle of Fat Tire Ale and some sushi, perhaps white tuna or really fresh salmon with very thinly sliced lemon (with the rind). Follow this with crabcakes made from back fin crab covered in succotash with jalapeno tomato chutney. Moving to the main course, a bottle of Silver Oak Cabernet to compliment a medium rare ribeye steak, tomato and mozzarella salad with balsamic vinegar, grilled asparagus, and a loaded baked potato with butter, sour cream, chives and bacon. For desert, fresh creme brulee and an espresso. Tuck me in by 9pm and I'll sleep like a champ.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Well, that's all folks.....thanks for reading.

Rules for responders: just post your name underneath. Prepare your script but do not post it. I will pick someone to post next week.

Previous weeks

1 Paddy
2 MuRph
3 Covac
4 Ride
5 Lars
6 Issing San
7 Patrick Belgium
8 Mark Cap
9 Diego
10 Gary
11 Arif
12 Polleke
13 Davie Lee
14 Mike2zero
15 David S
16 Nad (aka Nadzilla)
17 Chris Agostino
18 ConorB

Jeremy (aka Mr. Socko)
Northeast Florida

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Gatsby
(Login GatsbyTheRat)
Paneristi

rock on Socko!

May 26 2008, 2:41 PM 

Love your PP story and the watches 8-)))))) mind blowin' m8, mind blowin.....

"Courage is the first of human qualities, because it is the quality which guarantees all others" - Winston Churchill

Gatsby DU

Respond to this message   

Diego SCPC
(Login DiegoArana)
Paneristi

Great Read Socko

May 26 2008, 2:44 PM 

I've had The Kite Runner on my list for
awhile but will definitely pick it up now.
As we get older and our personal lives have
more time restraints, the memories of traveling
with my family our the most cherished. I can appreciate
that one. Nice pic of you Jena; you guys make a great looking couple.

Great read my friend

Cheers,
Diego
Studio City, CA
Refresh, refresh, refresh........

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Respond to this message   

Addo
(Login addoo)

ReTTo was just jealous that.................

May 26 2008, 2:46 PM 

He did not bring his Fiddy in a LV sock!

Respond to this message   

Rob
(Login Robbie-Do)
Paneristi

Great post Jeremy

May 26 2008, 2:56 PM 

I always look forward to these posts and the honest reflections by members of this community.
Thanks for sharing.

Rob (Melbourne, Australia)

Respond to this message   

Chad L
(Login crockettl)

Great stuff, Jeremy! I can just imagine you getting....

May 26 2008, 3:02 PM 

your Socko name, Animal House style: "Your Delta Tau Chi name is Socko!"

I love that movie as well. It was filmed at the U of Oregon....been to that frat (Phi Kappa Psi) many of times!

Thanks for posting!

Chad L
Portland,OR

Respond to this message   

eric s. (hkgweilo)
(Login hkgweilo)
High Heid Yin

good one socko!...with that collection, I can see how you'd have trouble picking just two!

May 26 2008, 3:43 PM 

love the vintage PP by the way...

Respond to this message   

mike2zero
(Login mike2zero)
Paneristi

Well done Jeremy.....

May 26 2008, 3:50 PM 

wish I could have seen you last week...

Mike

mike2zero
Beaverton, Oregon

"In Simplicity lies true greatness" -Francesco De Sanctis

Respond to this message   

bo
(Login expat-oz)
High Heid Yin

dude. are you my brother?

May 26 2008, 4:19 PM 

The Kite Runner??? EXCELLENT choice! Combined with Fat Tire Ale and caprese. you scare me, Socko!!!

cheers, mate, bloody good post.

bo

Respond to this message   
Watchron
(Login Watchron)

Fantastic post Socko !!

May 26 2008, 4:55 PM 

Well done, really enjoyed your Desert island Dream.

Ron
(Netherlands)

Respond to this message   

Polleke
(Login Paul-Belgium)
Paneristi

Great Dessert Island Dream Jeremy

May 26 2008, 5:29 PM 

Was a great read

Polleke

Respond to this message   

conorb
(Login bueschc)

Great one Socko!

May 26 2008, 5:31 PM 

Now I have another book to read.

Thanks for that Jeremy; the memories from Carlsbad have all come back.

That Patek is amazing.

Take care my friend.

Conor

Respond to this message   
Tim
(Login TimBlackmon)

Great post!

May 26 2008, 5:33 PM 

Way to go man! Love the kite runner. Great selection.

Tim

Respond to this message   

Marc(Cap)
(Login Marc_Cap)

Good stuff Socko

May 26 2008, 5:38 PM 

Liking that wine selection

Upstate New York
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Respond to this message   

Nashville Brad
(Login bknieriem)

Nice one Jeremy! Thanks for sharing!

May 26 2008, 6:32 PM 

nt

"Something Wicked This Way Comes..."

Respond to this message   

farhad
(Login farhadsamari)

very nice and thoughtful post Socko.

May 26 2008, 7:37 PM 

i enjoyed reading it

"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit
with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity"
Albert Einstein

best regards,

farhad from OC California

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Respond to this message   

John in NJ
(Login JohnSim)
Paneristi

Mr. Socko :) good stuff <nt>

May 26 2008, 9:32 PM 

----------------
"Everyone's got a plan until they get punched in the face."
--Karl Koschnitzke

Respond to this message   

Jpvfx
(Login Jpvfx)
Paneristi

Another great DID...

May 26 2008, 11:05 PM 

Good socko
Jp

Respond to this message   
dman
(Login dmasanda)
Paneristi

Well done J!!

May 27 2008, 2:17 AM 

Great choices and pics to go with em pal.

No pic of Raven though???? LOL!

"I'm just sayin"

Respond to this message   

ArifS
(Login samen)
Paneristi

Great entries Socko >>

May 27 2008, 3:31 AM 

Drooling over the food...great choices

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index