<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Desert Island Dream........ here goes!

June 18 2008 at 4:01 AM

Aurelio S.  (Login AurelioS)
from IP address 66.108.71.40

Ship sinking -- washed ashore, with 10 items……………

2 watches
2 watches? That’s easy……. Well, as much as this is supposed to be “Tyler’s watch”, but he’s outta luck – I gotta run with the Rossi here. My 'grail watch', and just a blast to wear. Ohh, yeah... the lil’ bit of flash can help attract fish AND any potential rescuers, too:

The other – a Panerai, of course! LOVE my 1950, however I dig the 56, too. And it has as nice a story behind it (a surprise gift from my wife – bought out from underneath me, mind you). Almost a flip of the coin here, but the destro wins by a nose to spend some quality time with me on the beach ~

2 songs
This is nuts – I love music, and you make me pick only 2? I protest! So many to pick from… Earth, Wind and Fire – Maceo – Chicago – Billy Joel – DMB – Santana – Springsteen – Celine Dion – Zep; man, I’m just getting’ started! Wait................... I’m on a friggin’ island all by myself… Ugh. I hate being deserted ~

Ok – first one is Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers: “Don’t Do Me Like That” – the rhythm guitar and percussion is just insane.

The other one is from The System, called “The Pleasure Seekers” – reminds me of the thin-leather-tie wearin’, parachute-pants sportin’, Miami-Vice-lookin’ days…

1 book
Until only a short time ago, I hated reading. So, I’m a relative ‘rookie’ at this. 1 book I remember I couldn’t put down for even 5 minutes…

1 movie

Ooof – how can one not take a handful of movies along? Shawshank Redemption, Goodfellas, Hunt for Red October, The Right Stuff, Ronin (LOVE the car-chase scenes), Pulp Fiction, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, The Blues Brothers, The Matrix, Braveheart? Hmmm… well, no need to drive Blockbuster crazy; I’m taking this one with me ~

I’m a big fan of Spacey, and this was probably his best acting role; not to mention a story that makes one think…….

1 photograph

Hundreds of pictures that I could want to have with me, but since I just got ship-wrecked – I gotta run with the most recent… a picture of Deb, Ty and myself at Battery Park, NYC. Nothing extraordinary about the dayt - we had fun just ‘sight-seeing’ downtown, and it was simply a great day

1 memory

I’ve been a fortunate guy, with many, many good memories and laughs over the past 43 yrs I’ve been on this rock. However, there’s 1 that stands out for me…

2005 was really a fantastic year for me: I made partner at my company, got my first mac-daddy bike, had my 1950 stolen – however I was dumbfounded to have all of you chip in to ‘replace it’ for me (still amazed by that…), I celebrated my 40th with a wonderful party thrown by Deb with close friends, and found out in late January then that Deb was pregnant with Tyler. Was feeling pretty good, and it was only March!

Anyway, that June I had a trip planned to take my Mom to Italy for 11 days; her birthday present, and me coming thru on a promise to take her there. A good excuse, since my 2nd cousin who I’m fairly close with was getting married. Mind you, the last time she was back there to see family was about 22-23 years ago! Well, my memory is this… her sister insisted to be there at the airport when we were picked up, as she and my mom were like 2 peas in a pod all their lives and she was just too excited. After we collected our bags, and started towards the exit, we found my relatives, and my mom and aunt just hugged and cried for what seemed like hours. To see her that happy was so moving; right there, that was the trip for me.

Here’s a picture of them just having a ball dancing away at the wedding (my Mom's the one facing us):

That summer was bittersweet for me, as while I was w/Deb at one hospital after she was recuperating from a C-section delivery, I was visiting my mom at another. She passed on only a few months afterwards. So our Italy trip and that outpouring show of happiness once we arrived was truly a special memory for me.

1 meal

I remember some years back, when Deb and I visited my relatives in Italy. We didn’t make it to my cousin Angela’s house until late – something like 9:30-10pm. Everyone (I have 3 cousins from my mother’s side, and they all have children as well) was all there to greet us and waiting to eat together. Deb & I were a little tired from our travels, but we were also still a bit hungry so we weren't going to pass on dinner. Angela made an 8-course meal of various antipasto, salad, pasta, chicken and such – by far, the best meal I’ve had EVER. I mean, I’ll put her against any cook on the planet; she’s the real deal. And, the added bonus was enjoying it with my family… a picture from that night:

1 person

Tried calling up Evangeline Lilly, since she has prior "lost on an island" experience...

Unfortunately, she wasn't having any of this again

Seriously... this was easy at first, but then I thought about Tyler. Practically a toss-up… but having the poor kid stuck on an island, with no one but his old man, would be a bit painful for the little big man. So, what the heck - I figure I’ll pass that one over to my wife

No doubt about it. She’s the best thing that has ever happened to me. That picture just says it all for me – and that smile is ALWAYS glued to her face. Priceless to me........

Was certainly fun – thanks for picking me, Jassiliciousness!

"No, maybe I can't win, maybe the only thing I can do is just take everything he's got. But to beat me, he's gonna have to kill me, and to kill me, he's
gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me, and to do that, he's gotta be willing to die himself and I don't know if he's ready to do that..."

And, check out my blog... "Screaming In An Elevator!"

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Beef
(Login FLS2K)

Well done A! <nt>

June 18 2008, 4:16 AM 

nt

Sunny Florida, USA

Respond to this message   

Paddy
(Premier Login Kingsholm14)
High Heid Yin

Beautiful Aurelio. Glad you posted this. Moving stuff. nt

June 18 2008, 4:16 AM 

Respond to this message   

RIDE
(Login rideamountain)

Supremely well done Aurelio!!!

June 18 2008, 4:17 AM 

LOVED that read my friend....truly a D.I.D. to remember.

You captured the spirit to perfection! What a wonderful family and beautiful wife you have.

Cheers!

RIDE

There is no doubt that getting older is mandatory, but to mature remains still optional...

Respond to this message   

Rich Marchand
(Login RichM-RI)

WoW - You're kind of a nice guy....sort of.

June 18 2008, 4:20 AM 

Loved the whole greatest memory section bro - nice stuff. Really.

NOW -

Go back to being a d..k so I can have things all normal in the world again

Good OnYa - LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RichM

Respond to this message   

farhad
(Login farhadsamari)

excellent D.I.D. post Aurelio. really enjoyed reading it....

June 18 2008, 4:23 AM 

the part about your mom was very touching. i know what you mean, there is no substitute for family.
cheers!!!

"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit
with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity"
Albert Einstein

best regards,

farhad from OC California

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Respond to this message   

Marc(Cap)
(Login Marc_Cap)

Definitely a classic...well done brother :-)

June 18 2008, 4:23 AM 

I have a feeling this guy will find you though

Upstate New York
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Respond to this message   

Rich Marchand
(Login RichM-RI)

Wow! You are really kind of a nice Guy. Sort of... :-))

June 18 2008, 4:24 AM 

Good One A!

Especially like the whole memory section - very nice. Really well said and conveyed.

Now

Go back to being a giant d..k so my world will be normal again - your throwing the whole cosmic balance off with all this

RichM

Respond to this message   
Eli C
(Login ECF176)

I agree with Farhad

June 18 2008, 4:25 AM 

Great post. Really enjoyable to read.

Photobucket

"Impossible is Nothing"
"Float Like a butterfly, sting like a bee"
-Adidas

Respond to this message   

ArifS
(Login samen)

Awesome post A (nt)

June 18 2008, 4:27 AM 

Respond to this message   

urbanskee
(Login urbanskee)

For this, I will stop lurking.

June 18 2008, 4:31 AM 

Nice one. A, you big softie.

___

Bernie, Manhattan

"I'm all lost in the supermarket." ~ Strummer/Jones
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Respond to this message   

Mondo
(Login Versaci)

Well Done.

June 18 2008, 4:31 AM 

Beautiful post

Mondo : Laredo, Texas. (USA)
Attn Fellow Paneristis:
Please Dont forget to put your location, so when Paneristis post, we will know from what corner of the world we are getting responses from.

Respond to this message   

Gary
(Login gfriedell)
High Heid Yin

Nice work king!

June 18 2008, 4:33 AM 

As Johnny Miller would say " That's good stuff"

Respond to this message   

Dan from NYC
(Login galeforce)

Nice one Aurelio... enjoyed it : )) nt

June 18 2008, 4:47 AM 

nt

Respond to this message   

Ravi
(Login ravi76)

Very nice Aurelio! Great pics and great stories

June 18 2008, 4:51 AM 

Respond to this message   

Andy Altman
(Login GULFSTREAMFIVE)

Bravo!!

June 18 2008, 4:51 AM 

Great post Aurelio! Excellent!!

Respond to this message   

Davie
(Login dlee888)

Great post A...

June 18 2008, 4:52 AM 

Panerai...
"It's like children. You can't understand until you've had one."

Respond to this message   

scoopster
(Login scoopster)

Who would guessed that there was a mensch lurking below

June 18 2008, 4:54 AM 

the surface.

Aurelio, if this alter-ego is a bit like Sybil, let him
out more often (grin).

Great, great post.

Catch my racing blog -
Franckly Speaking!

Respond to this message   
dman
(Login dmasanda)

Great stuff Mr. Twisted Sisto!!

June 18 2008, 5:02 AM 

One more reason you are my idol.

Hope you and the family are well pal.

"I'm just sayin"

Respond to this message   

Drew Watson
(Login DrewWatson)

You get a Standing-O from me, Aurelio! And I hope

June 18 2008, 5:02 AM 

I don't get picked any time soon, because there's no way I could follow that one.

Funny, nicely crafted and some private moments shared. Thanks for the great stuff, A. I really enjoyed it.

Kindest Regards,

Drew

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index