<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Desert Island Dream......RichM-RI....

July 7 2008 at 5:37 PM

Rich Marchand  (Login RichM-RI)
from IP address 24.38.161.66

So

One recent day I was sitting by the pool enjoying the sun - it was perfect weather.
All of a sudden, I got this email from Bonati!!!

Uh oh. What does he want now? He is ALWAYS calling me, emailing me. Day in and day out.

I called him and found out some interesting news: Evidently there is a boat race coming up in Newport....

Well, Bonati says the captain ate some bad Carpaccio and is ill. He would like me to fill in. I explain I have NEVER sailed before - he said it's all good and give it a shot. Fine. For you I will Mr. Bonati. Well, race day I report to...

I immediately am nervous - these is NO Engine!! Ok - I chill a bit in the sun. Then I smoke a Camel Light and have my crew get her going out of port to sea...let's give this a try..nice day in Newport, RI - not a cloud in the sky.

And the race begins. We are in First!

Well, I jibbed when I should have jabbed. Or Tucked when I should have Ticked. One way or another - I get lost

All of a sudden...the sky gets dark. Then the sea gets choppier.
THEN
A WALL of Water - the Perfect Storm...

The mast breaks off, hits me on the head and I am knocked out cold. But, I wake up here....

And - ALL I have is this...

2 watches
2 songs
1 book
1 movie
1 photograph
1 memory
1 meal
1 person

Well, what did I bring??

2 watches:

First up is my 24A - for many reasons. It is an A. It came from a friend, who got it from another friend who is also a friend. THAT is RISTI. They are my friends and treated me well. Enough said there. And, the watch is perfect on me. Really, what else is there?

Second is my DREAM - the 203. The ultimate Panerai for me. OR a 201/A. But, if I had to choose only one it would be the 203. Not my watch below - it is a pic I took of Davie's in Montreal..

2 Songs:

Man, this one was hard - I am music nut for sure. I probably have 500 cd's - and that was before about 2 years ago when I started to burn my own. Every genre you can think of. Ok - IF I had to, here are my 2 favorites. First up is Hendrix..."There are many people here among us who feel that life is but a joke..."

Next is the Dave Matthews Band..Two Step. Amazing live. Amazing. BIG DMB guy..."Celebrate for life is short but sweet for sure...."

1 Book:

You had to ask?

Ok - that is narrow minded...how about these?

What can I say? I am focused

1 Movie:

Once again - hard!!!!!!!!! Big movie guy. So many. But - when push comes to shove, the original Rocky has to be it. He does not win. But - he does better that he or anyone else ever thought he would. All because he had it "Inside" - where it counts. Very cool. When this came out - I am going to be 42 so there is an age reference - it was major - major for me. Bigger than Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark combined. How can you not watch this and get a little fired up??

1 Photograph

This one was HARD as well - if you really believe you are on an island and will be there forever. I chose the pic below of me and the family last summer from our vacation at Sesame Place. At the time I thought I was in hell - 95 degress, 95% humidity, spent the cost of a Fiddy on God know what, kids where so excited they didn't sleep the night before which translates into one tired RichM-RI. But - looking back today - It was a GR8 day Look at the yougest 2 boys faces - they really think it was the Cookie Monster! Priceless...

I also scanned in the following 2 photos - I never responded to that "wedding pic" post as I did not have anything on the computer. Yes gents - I HAD hair. AND - it was BLACK

Age 29....

1 Memory

The birth of my first son - Samuel. He was born one month early - technically prematurely. He was extremely small for 36 months - just a small boy. On April 29th, 1999 my wife woke me up at 6:30am saying it was time. I said no way - way to early. I was wrong.

Long story short but the Doctor never made it to the delivery room until AFTER he was born - he was occupied with another crisis down the hall and could not make it. My wife went extremely fast at the end. I remember the nurse saying "Richard, WE are going to deliver this baby - now. I need your help. Are you ready?" Well, I had to be. And I delivered him. Talk about a RUSH like you have never felt unless you have done it - amazing. As I was cutting the cord - in came running the Doctor - "Are we ready to go?" he says - lol - we are DONE. I have never cried so hard as I did that night. Not too manly a comment to a bunch of guys (and ladies) wearing at minimum 44mm watches I must admit - but it is the truth. This all has a way of staying with a man. Here is a scanned pic of the nurse with us...

Note - my old and sold Rolex GMT Pepsi Realized last night I really - really - miss this little, no-crystal watch. Uh oh

This pic is of a regular sized diaper on Sam on day two I think. He was 5 pounds when he left the hospital...

1 Meal:

Tough - I am a foodie Thought it over long & hard - HAS to be one AMAZING pile of raw fish (read: Sushi) at Morimoto's in NYC...for those who do not know - Morimoto is Iron Chef Morimoto of FoodTV fame.

1 Person:

Whoa!! Tough! Ok - NOT my wife - she needs to take care of the boys and let them know everything is going to be alright and Dad is coming home. So...

If I don't have them...

OR my wife.
AND - I don't have this...

OR These... (Sorry gents - it's the way it is.. I am trying to quit..just not now)...

I think a GREAT person to help me would be the Dalai Lama...How else am I not going to go crazy???

OK - that is it. Done. This was harder than I thought but definitely a cool journey and a valuable exercise.

Thank you for staying and coming on my D.I.D. journey...and Wait Till you see who I pick

Cheers!
RichM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
davilo
(Login davilo)

Rich....nice....I'm LOL, esp with the hair component....I'm with you on that

July 7 2008, 5:51 PM 

Very nice....DID...

-David
(South Shore MA USA)

What the....? Where's my wife?

Respond to this message   

Paddy
(Premier Login Kingsholm14)
High Heid Yin

Brilliant Rich. Thank you. nt

July 7 2008, 5:56 PM 

Respond to this message   

Martin Wilmsen
(Select Login wilmsenm)
High Heid Yin

Great post Rich!

July 7 2008, 5:57 PM 

Lovely family and good taste too man. I mean a 24A and Hendrix... can it get any better than that? Well maybe with a 203, but it's good to have something to wish for right?
Cheers
Martin

Opinions are like noses... everybody has one.

Respond to this message   

John in NJ
(Login JohnSim)
Paneristi

great job, RichiEEEE.... gotta love the wedding pic... peace brother ;) <nt>

July 7 2008, 5:58 PM 

----------------
"Everyone's got a plan until they get punched in the face."
--Karl Koschnitzke

Respond to this message   
KAD
(Login K.A.D.)

Thats a good one thanks, love that rocky clip. nt

July 7 2008, 6:03 PM 

Kev

Respond to this message   

Chas
(Login angustami)
Paneristi

Great pics Rich nt

July 7 2008, 6:05 PM 

nt

Chas Robertson
OH IO

Respond to this message   
Mal
(Login Nikonman)

Desert Island Dream SHARED

July 7 2008, 6:10 PM 

Thanks a lot for a great and really interesting post. Being new it is really good to see the real people behind the post. Great familly many thanks for sharing with us all.
Best regards
Mal

Respond to this message   

MichaelP
(Login mkpierro)
Paneristi

Very Cool!

July 7 2008, 6:12 PM 

I like the intro and great pictures of the family.

Michael

Respond to this message   

Eddie Sanchez
(Login ERSanchez)
Paneristi

Excellent D.I.D. Rich!!!!

July 7 2008, 6:14 PM 

You have a great imagination! I enjoyed every minute of it!

Thanks!

Eddie Sanchez
McKinney, Texas

P U R A V I D A !

Time, if nothing else, will do its worst
So do me the favor
And tell me the good news first ~ Neil Peart

Current MotoGP Championship points (top 3)
1. D. Pedrosa 171
2. V. Rossi 167
3. C. Stoner 142

Next race: Grand Prix Deutschland - Germany 07/13/08

Respond to this message   

Chris Agostino
(Select Login ChrisAg)

Nice Job Rich!!!!!!!! Well Done..... (nt)

July 7 2008, 6:18 PM 

nt

Chris NYC

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Respond to this message   

NeilD
(Login neild243)
Paneristi

Well played my friend! :-)

July 7 2008, 6:21 PM 

No way you would dissapoint us.

Talk to ya!

Respond to this message   

Socko
(Login porsche-964)
Paneristi

Well done Rich---liked the Bonati email!!!

July 7 2008, 6:36 PM 

Jeremy (aka Mr. Socko)
Northeast Florida

Respond to this message   

Marc(Cap)
(Login Marc_Cap)

Good one Rich...

July 7 2008, 6:37 PM 

The real question is what would you do without caffeine

Upstate New York
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Respond to this message   

Action Dan
(Login actiondan)

Excellent !! I love it :) !! n/t

July 7 2008, 6:39 PM 

n/t

MOBILIS IN MOBILE

Respond to this message   
Rob-Montana
(Login Javman)
Paneristi

That was perfect Rich lol.

July 7 2008, 6:39 PM 

cheers
Rob

Respond to this message   

eric s (hkgweilo)
(Login hkgweilo)
High Heid Yin

great one Rich!! LOL...I thought A.B. was calling to tell you your 203 was ready....>>

July 7 2008, 6:46 PM 

love the wedding pix!!!

great job!

Respond to this message   

Chuck A
(Login ChuckA1)
Paneristi

That was great! Very funny!

July 7 2008, 7:17 PM 

CA

Respond to this message   

Andy Altman
(Login GULFSTREAMFIVE)
Paneristi

Excellent Rich!!

July 7 2008, 7:27 PM 

nt

Respond to this message   

NiLo
(Login nicklopano)

Great D.I.D. Rich.. Loved it!! Got pumped from Rocky & punched the wall (nt)

July 7 2008, 7:41 PM 

nt

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index