<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

OT: Planning to go to TOKYO :)

February 25 2009 at 2:14 AM
  (Login jdjoeydean)
from IP address 122.2.154.10

Planning to go there for 5 days. Any recommendations on where to go/see and of course watch boutique Thanks in adv. happy.gif

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Four Seasons
(Login fourseasons73)

Some random thoughts

February 25 2009, 2:45 AM 

For watch shopping check out the archive section for the great post on watch shops in Tokyo, but note that the Boutique wasn't opened when it was written if I can recall correctly.

Temples
Best place to go for this is Kamakura and spend the day walking around the temples in this seaside town. It is about an hour from Tokyo by Train. If you don't have the time, then go to Meiji Shrine in Tokyo (where I was married). Take JR Yamanote train line to Harajuku station (look it up on a map).

Shopping
After going to Meiji Shrine, you should walk back to Harajuku station and then walk around the area on the other side of the station. Explore all the little back streets for cool fashion and design shops and watch people. Go check out the watch shopping on Omote Sando below the Ralph Lauren shop. Another cool area to walk around is Daikanyama and it is near Shibuya (one or two train stops away). For shopping malls I prefer Midtown (http://www.tokyo-midtown.com/en/) in Roppongi (there is also Roppongi Hills as well http://www.roppongihills.com/en/, but Midtowns in newer and nicer).

Gadgets
You can go to Akihabara station (on the JR Yamanote train line) or depending on where you are staying you can go to visit a Bic Camera store in Shinjuku, Shibuya etc. They are large electronic stores with everything in them. Akihabara is okay to walk around and look at the electronic shops, but it is more interesting for maid cafes, costume play shops and anime stores (if you're interested!)

Sushi
If you have the energy you can go to the fish market in the morning and eat fresh sushi. Or sleep in and go to another sushi restaurant later in the day. My favourite affordable sushi restaurant is Pintokona at Roppongi Hills shopping center http://www.roppongihills.com/jp/shops_restaurants/eng/details/restaurant.php?id=e201220002

Restaurants/Bars
A good place to browse through is http://metropolis.co.jp they have bar and restaurant reviews in English.

Have fun.
Justin

Respond to this message   

(Login jdjoeydean)

wow thanks. :) nt

February 25 2009, 2:47 AM 

nt

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login lceniza)

two suggestions

February 25 2009, 3:20 AM 

if you have time for a day trip, a train ride to Kyoto is highly suggested. fantastic city. within tokyo, try gonpachi restaurant in nishi azabu. it's a cool spot that quentin tarantino modeled the restaurant in the final scene in kill bill volume I after.

cheers,
lou - oc, cali

Respond to this message   

(Login watchbeginner)

Goto the Achieves...

February 25 2009, 3:25 AM 

Take a look in the Achieves and you will find a guide written by Max not so long ago. It is quite comprehensive and useful.

Lee

Respond to this message   

(Login jdjoeydean)

will do that thanks. nt

February 25 2009, 3:57 AM 

nt

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Dude
(Login Dooderino)

Bring an Umbrella ...

February 25 2009, 4:15 AM 

What Justin said, Kamakura is a nice place to visit get a guide book about Japan before you go, start with the Tsurugaoka Hachiman-g Shrine, one of the best in Kamakura.

Tokyo is ... Tokyo, Ginza, Shibuya and Shinjuku are great places to visit - get around using the Subway and take a cab or a few cabs, the doors open & close automatically... Fun.

The food is... well... I will let you figure it out, just stay away from Sushi places which have plates going around in circle on a conveyor ... Not the best places.

Ginza was my favorite area of Tokyo while I was there for a week last spring...

Be ready for a cultural shock when it comes to going to the john...

lucky3.jpg

And smoking....

Tokyoj.jpg

Back in Toronto - Canada iconhihi.gif

"The object of life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, 'Holy Shit, What a Ride!!!" - Mavis Leyrer

Respond to this message   

(Login ChuckA1)

Where is the rest of it? ;~) nt

February 25 2009, 4:57 AM 

CA

Photobucket

Go Cowboys-
Chuck A

Respond to this message   

(Login Dooderino)

Chuck... Chuck...Chuck... I have so many pictures from Japan >

February 25 2009, 5:13 AM 

I have yet to convert ... yet not enough pictures of what I really wanted as such the plan is to go back this Spring for a photo/visit trip thingy...

Tokyoi.jpg

Tokyod.jpg

Tokyok.jpg

Tokyom.jpg

Shibuya15.jpg

"The object of life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, 'Holy Shit, What a Ride!!!" - Mavis Leyrer

Respond to this message   

(Login ERSanchez)

Dude .... those photos deserve their own post ....

February 25 2009, 6:47 AM 

.... maybe one day you could ..... wink.gif

Cheers!

"SharkMan" Sanchez
McKinney, Texas

"It's all about the Patina, Baby!"

P U R A V I D A ! happy.gif
[linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image]

Time, if nothing else, will do its worst
So do me the favor
And tell me the good news first ~ Neil Peart

The pleasure of what we enjoy is lost by wanting more ~ fortune cookie

The first thing you should do when you find yourself in a hole ..... stop digging! ~ Will Rogers

Time is what prevents everything from happening at once. ~ John Archibald Wheeler

Final 2008 MotoGP Championship points (top 3)
1. V. Rossi 373 - - - World Champion 2008
2. C. Stoner 280
3. D. Pedrosa 249

Next race: Grand Prix of Qatar - March 2009

Respond to this message   

Dude
(Login Dooderino)

Cool I will work on it

February 25 2009, 6:46 PM 

wink.gif

Respond to this message   

(Login NachoM)

awesome pics Dude!

February 25 2009, 9:41 AM 

They´re just outstanding!

Respond to this message   

(Login Dooderino)

Thank you Nacho... but >>

February 25 2009, 6:47 PM 

There are people out there way more talented than me...

Respond to this message   

(Login actiondan)

We want more! We want more! :) !!!!!

February 25 2009, 3:21 PM 

especially the ones with the beautiful girls happy.gif !

Bien sur...

Best,

Daniel

[linked image]
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them, well, I have others. Groucho Marx

Respond to this message   

(Login Dooderino)

Well... Either I can fish some out until the movie comes out >>

February 25 2009, 6:56 PM 

This movie Tokyo No... not my movie but to satisfy a need until I get back there and come back with way better pictures... But later today I will work on something, I have dozens of unconverted images from Japan.... I'll fish some out...

BTW the song in the trailer is by a local Toronto band (local where I am located right now...) the band is called 'Tokyo Police Club' the song is a short one tittle "Be Good" from their album 'A Lesson in Crime & Smith'

Okay a few more pic until I post some more...

Tokyoe.jpg

Tokyog.jpg

Tokyol.jpg

Tokyo is a truly unreal place and my second favorite city in the world, I could move tomorrow for ever and a day to Paris ... but I would love to stay in Tokyo for a couple of months before I do...

Shibuya12.jpg

Shibuya15.jpg

OSMinTokyoOperaHouse.jpg

Respond to this message   

(Login mnm222876)

When will you be there? >>

February 25 2009, 4:59 AM 

There's an event on the 5th of March at the boutique that I will be attending. Here's the post in GTG forum:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/597352/thread/1235467263/

And the guide, which desperately needs an update which I will do this summer, is here:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/thread/1186974357/

If you will be there during or close to the time of the 5th let me know. I read, write, and speak fluent Japanese and would be happy to show you around. Martin (aka Issing-san) was there a few months ago and I met up with him and hit all the watch shops. http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/thread/1230390825/

Shoot me an email if you have any questions.

Max / Seattle

Respond to this message   

(Login jdjoeydean)

I think April 6 -10 nt

February 25 2009, 5:14 AM 

nt

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login mnm222876)

I don't know my April schedule yet but... >>

February 25 2009, 5:17 AM 

there's a chance that I might be there. I'll let you know if I am.

Max / Seattle

Respond to this message   

(Login jdjoeydean)

ok thanks Max. :) I will shoot you an email if the schedule is definite :) nt

February 25 2009, 5:24 AM 

nt

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login Scott0san)

A day of watch shopping can easily turn into two, make

February 25 2009, 1:33 PM 

sure you dont miss Tsukiji fish market. It is a must see but get there around 5am
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Dont forget your camera, everywhere you turn is another great photo
Photobucket
Sushi is Great
Photobucket
And dont forget Max's post on watch shopping
http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/message/1186974357/Max%27s+Panerai+shopping+guide+of+Tokyo+...................+Enjoy%21

Respond to this message   

(Login actiondan)

Heres some appetizer shots...

February 25 2009, 3:19 PM 

You don't wanna miss Asakusa on the week-end! Asakusa is the oldest part of Tokyo, where "real" people live happy.gif! My favorite place in all Tokyo.

Check of course :

http://www.tourism.metro.tokyo.jp/english/

There "self walking tour" are great.

Here some shots I took this January, that you may have already see here. I add a few new ones happy.gif
Look forward to your pictures and report!

All the best,

Daniel

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them, well, I have others. Groucho Marx

Respond to this message   
Aladdin
(Login jdjoeydean)

thanks for all the reply and advice.:) nt

February 25 2009, 11:20 PM 

nt

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - OT: Planning to go to TOKYO :)
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index