<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

My Desert Island Dream...

November 16 2010 at 6:47 PM

Jim (time4me)  (Login time4me)
Paneristi
from IP address 24.5.38.133

I awoke to what I at first mistook for either the neighbor's car alarm, or a weekly transmission test of the Emergency Broadcast System. Lying there, becoming increasingly annoyed, I waited impatiently for my neighbor to yell at the cat that had jumped on his hood, or an ethereal voice explaining that "This is a test - this is only a test - if this had been an actual emergency..."

As the alarm droned on, I finally realized that I was not home in my bed, but was smashed next to my wife in a horribly uncomfortable couch-like bed, in a 6 foot by 8 foot room with one tiny round window above the bed. "Oh my God!" I shouted to Tracey, "The ship is sinking!!!"

Well, in all actuality, the ship was not sinking. It was simply adrift at sea with no power. The alarm was a hand-generated audible signal alerting all of the passengers of the cruise ship Carnival Splendor to make their way to the main ballroom to listen to the Captain's explaination that the ship was without power, and was helplessly drifting out to sea. You may have heard about us on the news in the past week or so...

Splendor.jpg

And there we sat for several days. We were stuck on a ship with rapidly diminishing quantities of alcohol and food, not to mention a noticeably increasing stench of sewage and rotting meat. When the Captain finally made the inevitable announcement that we were, in fact, completely out of vodka, and that the ship's kitchen staff was beginning to open the cans of SPAM that were helicoptered to us from San Diego, it was crystal clear to Tracey and I that we needed to get the hell off of this boat!

Knowing that we may never see land again, but reveling in the knowledge that we would not be feasting on SPAM with the rest of the sorry passengers, we scurried to our room to pack a few precious items before making our way to the rail, and then over into the chilling Pacific ocean.

Standing there in our cubicle of a room, I was hit with a gut-wrenching realization. I could only take two watches - one on each wrist. Well, I knew that I was going to be in the water for some unknown period of time, so I needed at least one waterproof watch. I chose my PAM 225 on OEM rubber strap, as it not only had the waterproof rating I desired, it was a chronograph, which I knew would come in handy if we ever made it to an island and I needed a timer for cooking scallops properly...

IMG_4994.jpg

For my second watch, I chose the first quality swiss watch I ever bought myself - my Ulysse Nardin San Marco Alarm...

UN2.jpg

Having a water resistance rating of only 30 meters, I was a little worried about taking a dip in the Pacific with the Ulysee Nardin. However, the real benefit to the Ulysse Nardin as my second watch choice, lay in the fact that it could be used to identify my remains if I ended up a sun-bleached skeleton on a deserted stretch of sandy beach. You see, many years ago I sent my Ulysse Nardin to master engraver Jochen Benzinger to have the movement engraved, and the pedestrian OEM rotor replaced with a rotor incorporating yellow, rose, and white gold to display the Wirth family crest...

IMG_0184.jpg

With the watch decision confidently made, I turned my thoughts to entertainment. I would need some music, movies and photos on my iPhone, so I turned it on and checked the 3G signal to see if I could download anything. "Crap, only two bars," I said under my breath. But worse yet, my youngest son, Will, had loaded so many apps like Pocket God, StickWars, iSniper, and X-Plane onto my iPhone that there was very little storage space left. Well, I had no time to start deleting apps, so I settled on two songs, one movie, and one photograph.

While I would have loved to download some Pink Floyd or Roger Waters, I decided to choose two songs that strike a very emotional chord with me. The first song is "Dance with my Father Again" by Luther Vandross...

My second song choice is hard to explain and may sound more than a little "out there" to many, so I'll simply say that a close friend named David, who died 12 years ago, uses this song to let me know he's there at eerily opportune moments or when I'm struggling through a difficult time. The song is "The Sign" by Ace of Base...

I was very disappointed that I only had room for one movie, as I really wanted to download one of my all-time favorite movies "Searching for Bobby Fischer." But I knew that I would need to learn a few things about how to survive on a deserted island, like how to fight giant crabs and kill a giant baby chicken, so I downloaded one of my childhood favorites - Jules Verne's "Mysterious Island..."

poster.jpg

The photo I chose to take with me was one of me with my Dad, who died when I was 10 years old. This is a picture of me standing next to Dad in his wheelchair...

JimwithDad.jpg

Then Tracey reminded me to grab a book, because if we made it to an island, I'd need something to occupy my time with, and it wasn't going to be her wink.gif Well, this was another difficult decision I had to make. I really wanted to take the new International Best Seller by Otto Yang...

Golden_Ratio_cover_edited-1.jpg

... but I settled on J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Lord of The Rings Trilogy," making a case to Tracey that it really counts as one book...

Jrrt_lotr_cover_design.jpg

We knew we needed a meal to take with us, so while I was downloading songs and videos to the iPhone, Tracey made her way to the kitchen on the ship, and was able to scrounge up all of the ingredients necessary to make her incredible chili, which she whipped up and loaded into a big tupperware tub!

Then with all of the items we carefully selected, Tracey and I made our way to the deck of the ship, and climbed up the railing. Before leaping to our fate, I focused on a single memory - one of our two sons, Kenny and Will, Tracey and I driving together in the car all acting goofey and laughing hysterically to some silly song that was playing on the radio. One of those moments that seems so insignificant at the time, yet sticks with you as a special memory of spending quality time together.

And with that, we leapt from the deck and plunged deep into the foamy waves of the Pacific, hands clenched tight, leaving our destiny to a higher being. And that's our story.

Oh, in case you are wondering about my companion, my partner, my soul-mate, and the love of my life, let me introduce you to my wife Tracey...

IMG_2741.jpg

Well, if you stuck with it this long, I hope you enjoyed my Desert Island Dream.

How to be next on the D.I.D.?

Just post your name underneath this post. Prepare your script. Do not post it. I will randomly pick someone.

Sunday I will announce the person. You will post your script on Monday with all the blanks filled in. From any replies, you then pick out of personal choice who you would like to read about. Your choice. Then, keep the ball rolling . The recipient picks. One a week, every Monday. Lets see what you'd do if you were going to be stranded on a deserted island, and were only allowed to take...

2 watches
2 songs
1 book
1 movie
1 photograph
1 memory
1 meal
1 person

Jim (time4me)

GGPCLOGOFINAL.jpg  hammergtgsmall.jpg  MLD2.jpg  RubyLu.jpg

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Asi
(Login Asimut)
High Heid Yin

Enjoyed that one Jim, cheers mate! nt

November 16 2010, 7:15 PM 

Cheers and best from the holyland,

~Asi~

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Respond to this message   

JMac
(Login jmcfaul)

That was awesome, Jim. Thanks for sharing. nt

November 16 2010, 7:26 PM 

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Hawaiian Timer
(Login hawaiiantimer)
Paneristi

I feel the vibes from your post Jim... Great passionate stuff.

November 16 2010, 7:21 PM 

Really enjoyed it... =))

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Respond to this message   

Marc(Cap)
(Login Marc_Cap)

Good one Jim :-)

November 16 2010, 7:28 PM 

Love that work on your UN happy.gif

Upstate New York

Respond to this message   
BoroSF
(Login BoroSF)

Well one - not often I get a tear in my eye nt

November 16 2010, 8:06 PM 

Respond to this message   
BoroSF
(Login BoroSF)

*Should read - well done

November 16 2010, 8:06 PM 

Respond to this message   

Diego Arana SCPC
(Login DiegoArana)
Paneristi

Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam

November 16 2010, 8:14 PM 

is only good at the Green Midget Cafe.

Great read Jim and a very novel idea
engraving the movement rotor with your
family crest.

Thanks Jim.

Cheers,
Diego
Studio City, CA
Refresh, refresh, refresh........

[linked image]
[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Paul190H
(Login hjhph)
Paneristi

That's a lovely read Jim, enjoyed that mate! nt

November 16 2010, 8:45 PM 

[linked image]
[linked image]

[linked image]
"Golf is a game whose aim is to hit a very small ball into a even smaller hole,
with weapons singularly ill-designed for the purpose" Winston Churchill

Respond to this message   

RUpanerai
(Login RUpanerai)
Paneristi

Nice DID Jim!

November 16 2010, 9:14 PM 

The UN with the Family Crest on the Rotor is an amazingly nice touch...

I have to admit, I did listen to both of your songs as well.. =)

[linked image]
[linked image]
"Don't be such a stranger my friend. I know you are busy but drop a note to a mate now and then." - Cheers Uncle Bob

Respond to this message   

Kirk
(Login Mr_Fugazy)

Love that picture of you and your dad

November 16 2010, 9:30 PM 

Seems to me that most of your dream has come true. Nicely done, Jim.

Kirk
[linked image]

Respond to this message   

ewit
(Login ewit)
Paneristi

+1 with Kirk ! :-)

November 17 2010, 2:42 AM 

Nice DID and loved the pic with your Dad. happy.gif

Best, as always, Jim. happy.gif

happy.gif

[linked image]