<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

beating a dead horse ...

October 24 2011 at 10:24 PM
Matthew  (Login majdeegans)
from IP address 92.72.183.124

luxury brands are luxury brands because they offer luxury, right?

I am not a historian but I would guess that officine panerai would have never gotten their marina militaire contracts if they werent offering the best quality.

I hope this 318 story was a single slip up because the continuance will certainly lead to a decline in popularity. Paneristi will continue to exist but how do you expect the brand to grow if this blatant disregard for quality persists.

A michelin starred restaurant would never serve scoop of B&J's chunky monkey for desert, Hermes wouldnt offer faux leather and Panerai shouldnt have offered an unfinished movement (solid back or not).

I will be giving them a second chance and even a third but it is still unacceptable no matter what the resale value or brand history says.

But hey it could have been worse, it could have been quartz ... oh but i guess that would have been ok though because the movement doesnt matter!

Happy Monday

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Matthew
(Login majdeegans)

reconsidering ...

October 24 2011, 10:39 PM 

reconsidering my post, a scoop of chunky monkey would be acceptable at michelin restaurant so long as it had a fancy garnish, the bare scoop probably wouldnt be enough for me

Respond to this message   

J-F
(Login J-F.)
Paneristi

Just think that Panerai ...

October 24 2011, 10:55 PM 

is so much more than a movement happy.gif ................. and you'll feel better

There is a copyright on this right now, like for 47 is the new 44 happy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gif

Cheers & Slogans wink.gif

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

sc
(Login scfong)
Paneristi

Good one J-F...

October 24 2011, 11:00 PM 

... happy.gif

Cheers,
SC

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Richard
(Login PSY76)

People here may disagree with me bu

October 24 2011, 10:57 PM 

Panerai was never known for great movements - until they developed their own. None of this should be a surprise to the old timers. The fact is, we love the damn things as they are.

We need to get over the current "movement crisis" and move on.

PhotobucketPhotobucketPaneristi.comPhotobucket

Photobucket

Let ø = Accessories Vendor Market
Strapmakers = all vendors regardless if they sell straps or not

Respond to this message   

Kevin O'Dell
(Login kevin5)

I totally agree Richard....

October 24 2011, 11:24 PM 

I dont even think it's a movement crisis as much as an identity crisis. If you don't like a simple robust movement in an expensive watch then maybe you should read into their history and see thats what they've always offered if you and appreciate that than perhaps their inhouse pieces are a better choice for you.

Photobucket

Respond to this message   

peezie
(Login peezie)
Paneristi

Simple can be better

October 25 2011, 4:53 AM 

I know moving from a Breitling chrono to a 112, I expect a little more reliability specifically because it's simpler. It was part of the appeal TBH.

[imghttp://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRO4jlZrsBJB-HkJgqWYdg7ZY3E-d56wOOtcZ1rccel6NVEUHJNcg[/img]

Respond to this message   

eric s.
(Login hkgweilo)
High Heid Yin

Yup, I'm with you. Anyone ever look at the movement in a $75,000 202/A?

October 24 2011, 11:38 PM 

Photobucket

Respond to this message   

Kevin O'Dell
(Login kevin5)

;-)

October 24 2011, 11:55 PM 

Photobucket

Respond to this message   

Micah
(Login micah249)

+ 0.75%

October 24 2011, 11:54 PM 

happy.gif I agree with most of what you're saying....

It seems like a few people are just finding out that Panerai uses $100 ETA movements in a lot of their watches... movement finishing aside I'm pretty sure the 318's movement is the same that's found in any number of Panerais, regardless of finish, including in all the PAM's I currently own. I agree that this shouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone, Panerai even puts clear backs on many of these watches, no one should be shocked that for years Panerai has used comparatively "cheap" movements in their watches... even if they do put a nice level of finish on them they're still uncomplicated ETA movements.

But personally what I do find surprising is that Panerai would drop a completely unfinished movement in a watch. I would think that something as simple as pride in their product would be enough to encourage them to at least slap their normal level of finish on the movements in those 318's.

So for me, there is indeed an element of surprise here... not about the movement itself, but just that they would put it in a watch without improving at least it's looks to be commensurate with the quality of the rest of the watch.

But really, I don't see it as a big deal in the grand scheme. My guess is they won't do it again, not after all this... discussion.... it's caused happy.gif

booked.jpg

Respond to this message   

Keith W.
(Login azcodman)
Paneristi

Not sure if I can reply +1 to a fractional comment

October 25 2011, 12:11 AM 

But I was very surprised at how raw that movement was as well. I bought a $150 sterile knock off a year ago for my wife to wear, and it has the very same movement in an exhibition back. Case, dial, hands, two crystals and the movement and I'm certain the seller made a profit as it's what he does.

I always thought the Angelus movement in the 203 looked rather raw as well, and although I was chided for wondering why they didn't decorate it a bit, I gave in as I'd not likely ever get the opportunity to purchase one at retail. But I promise not to complain one bit if that were to happen! happy.gif

I love the Unitas movements found in many of our watches, but not as they come completely untouched from the manufacturer.

Keith

Photobucket

Respond to this message   

Micah
(Login micah249)

I can understand the Angelus in the 203...

October 25 2011, 12:38 AM 

My history is a bit fuzzy, but aren't the Angelus movements in the 203 NOS vintage movements? In which case I would not want them to be any different than the same movements found in actual vintage pieces, which I don't think had any decorative finish on them either.

With the 318 movement though, there's obviously a case for why it should be at least decorated as nicely as the other ETA movements found under solid backs like the zero etc.

booked.jpg

Respond to this message   

clifW
(Login clifW)
Paneristi

Vintage Angelus different animal than 203 movement

October 25 2011, 12:56 AM 

all real Angelus vintage had cote d' geneve. A quick tour of Volker's site will set everyone straight

Respond to this message   

Volker Wiegmann
(Login VolkerWiegmann)
Advisor

not all, Clif. That would be too easy.

October 25 2011, 5:34 AM 

There are defo some Angelus movements without cotes in Vintage Panerai watches.

Cheers,
Volker

representin' the DNA of Panerai

Respond to this message   

Hammer
(Login HammerHammer)
High Heid Yin

Sorry Clify >> not so >>>

October 25 2011, 5:44 AM 

Sorry Clify with all due respect but >>>

That's just not correct , u might want to research that a bit more ?

I have on my files since 2000 many ANG vintage >> some with extremely good provenience beyond questions & doubts in those early years ,, as well I know the museum catalogue features some non cotes ANG mvts also allot in 2/56 , in fact there exists at least 2 versions of the ANG mvt and maybe 3 or 4 if service work was required to due salt water ingress in years later , anyway surely didn't want to be trying to be cleaver of class we both know I got zero chance at that ,, but still like to get as much correct info AFAIK out there as possible happy.gif

Trust all is well and ur happy happy.gifhappy.gif

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

So much MORE than just a Watch wink.gif

What Watch ,, it's the M8TES behind my brand that I LOVE ,, the Watch is just the GPS wink.gifwink.gif

A decade on ,, I COPY it now ,, More than EVER b4 >> it's a PANERAI behind every Panerai is a PANERISTI happy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gif

And dat , SIMPLY blows me away ,, U Bet....................... BBQ Drew RIP wink.gif
[linked image]
[linked image]
Feel the Passion ,, Respect the DNA ,, Cheers Beers ,,, Hoo Roo Hammer happy.gifsad.gif
Photobucket Pictures, Images and PhotosPhotobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Respond to this message   

clifW
(Login clifW)
Paneristi

alls good in the hood

October 25 2011, 7:10 AM 

most of the ones I have seen do have some finishing to them but that is by no means gospel, glad you and Volker could shed more light happy.gif

Respond to this message   

Hammer
(Login HammerHammer)
High Heid Yin

Homie >>

October 25 2011, 11:32 AM 

If only it was all clear cut black and white , Albeit sometimes I think the mystery is a big part of the allure as u know only too well happy.gif

It is however possible to work the mysteries out most always with the resources we are blessed to have posting on this forum like Volker & Ralf happy.gif

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

So much MORE than just a Watch wink.gif

What Watch ,, it's the M8TES behind my brand that I LOVE ,, the Watch is just the GPS wink.gifwink.gif

A decade on ,, I COPY it now ,, More than EVER b4 >> it's a PANERAI behind every Panerai is a PANERISTI happy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gif

And dat , SIMPLY blows me away ,, U Bet....................... BBQ Drew RIP wink.gif
[linked image]
[linked image]
Feel the Passion ,, Respect the DNA ,, Cheers Beers ,,, Hoo Roo Hammer happy.gifsad.gif

Respond to this message   

clifW
(Login clifW)
Paneristi

have a great PDay Hammer

October 25 2011, 6:35 PM 

I am sure it will be a great gathering and tons of fun for you guys

Respond to this message   

L(uke)
(Login snoballz)
Paneristi

Thank you Micah. +1 Bro for that. (nt)

October 25 2011, 12:11 AM 

-luke

[linked image] [linked image] [linked image]Photobucket[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Eddie Sanchez
(Login ERSanchez)
Paneristi

That is all I've been trying to say ....plus one, Micah!

October 25 2011, 3:10 AM 

I for one am not surprised by which movement is in the 318, or any other Panerai watch, for that matter. It's the fact that it's a blank movement, that surprises me. If only for the sense of pride I thought Panerai would put in every one of their watches. I mean seriously, how many other watch companies in Panerai's price range would put a blank movement in their watch? I can't think of one.

But no....definitely not a big deal for me. And surely not enough to make me not want another Panerai! It's just a disappointment......that's al. happy.gif

Cheers!

Eddie "Sharkman" Sanchez

"It's all about the patina, Baby!"

P U R A V I D A !
happy.gif

[linked image] [linked image]

The pleasure of what we enjoy is lost by wanting more ~ fortune cookie

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index