<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

It’s back - D I D - and it’s a monster....

November 28 2011 at 12:05 PM

GUSH  (Login Gu5h)
High Heid Yin
from IP address 80.168.223.138

So as some of you may know I attended Pday recently in Hamilton Island - amazing times - however what you wont know is how I got there. so herewith my story!

I have an urgent new business meeting in Singapore with a BIG potential client who wants to discuss marketing his business. No problemo - Ill take the private jet - but the small one, dont want them to think we are players! It arrives James Bond style - like a G6, like a G6 (sing with me)

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Touchdown, the meeting is tomorrow - tonight Im down with the locals - so I head out to meet with Jimmy - the Godfather of the Singapore crew, and they show up in force to show me hospitality Sing style! Wicked. Were eating all sorts - including these crazy desserts with salted sweet egg in the middle - right Pat?? Crazeeee but tasteeee!!

Next day its like the Hangover.
I wake up in some dingy room with only my undercrakkers on, someones shaved my beard on one side only, my head hurts and I can see ping pong balls all over the floor! I scramble around for my clothes and find my phone also. Call the Godfather - Jimmy, brother I need help, Im in some hole of a hotel with Police sirens outside and it smells like four week old milk. What!!! Jimmy says - you at Jassies house?? No brother this is serious.

Jimmy says - Dont panic Gush - I know exactly where you are, Im heading over now m8.

I call the client - hes flying out soon and say that I should join him on his jet if I want the business. Ive got an hour!

5 mins later Im riding with Jimmy. I shake my head.

Whats up G?

I left my bag somewhere m8 - cant remember where.

Your bag?? Whats in it??

2 Watches

2 songs - on my iPod

1 book

1 movie

1 photograph with lots of memories

1 meal - leftovers of my favourite meal

1 photograph of my nearest and dearest

Jimmy smiles - Its in the back of the car m8 - you left it with me last night before heading out with the guys! I think you had too much to drink m8 and those salty sweet egg puddings may have got the better of you!!

Sweet, I grab the bag and make to the clients jet. This jet looks familiar ... SO THATS HOW HE GETS AROUND!!

The client is not happy. But I spot he has a Fiddy and we talk watch - then we talk shop! Good ol Panerai! We do the deal and all is well were sipping champagne and smoking a cigar when suddenly the plane goes into a spin and we need to bail - I grab my bag and a parachute and jump!!

Next thing I know Im on some dessert island and its getting dark. I cant see any life and I start to build a fire. I open my bag and come across my items

Two watches...

My 201a. I love this watch as its sooo wearable and remember the words of a wise old Risti who said I should go for it as its the cornerstone. I remember the m8s who helped me decide and it alway fills me with great joy. There are pieces I desired more such the 202a but the 201a is more emotionally connected to me.

Then I pull out the 217 - my first 47mm and my first SE. I love this watch more and more every year. It has everything for me - destro, 47mm sandwich dial and Marina Militare markings. Again I remember calling the AD and he delivering it to me personally. The price was very steep for me at a time when my business was not doing well - I built myself to say no to it, but buckled when I saw it in the flesh! Over the years Ive built up my collection and am fortunate to have rarer pieces, however the 217 will always be one of my favourites.

In case youre thinking why isnt the vintage 3646 in my top two - well, its promised to my son, and if I never make it back from this island then he has a great piece of history to remember me by : ))

I get out the iPod and flick thru the two songs..

The first is by the Jackson Sisters - I believe in Miracles
I love this song, it holds sooo many great memories for me and always makes me feel good. I used to DJ in the late 80s and early 90s and this is a belter which always gets the crowd going.

Link here - play it loud

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR8L0fosJXI

Then I switch to Pete Rock and CL Smooth - T.R.O.Y
This song again holds many memories. I love the truth and honesty in the lyrics and the hook always makes me nod my head with a smile. I remember buying the 12inch just before a house party I was doing and was excited to play it and watch the crowd erupt. There are many seminal hip hop tracks for me which mean more, such as The Message by Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five, I Aint No Joke by Eric B and Rakim and Ego Tripin by Ultra Magnetic MCs - however, if Im stuck on this island then I need a choon I can live with over and over - and this is it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiOcVWQY2bc

I pull out my book. I only read autobiographies or books on business or personal achievement, however these are trying times on the island so I look for a book which is a quite recent addition and makes me laugh out loud. Shit My Sad Says is a very funny book with warmth and love underpinning the relationship between a son and his father. Its written by the son looking back at all the crazy, funny and very true things his father has said to him throughout his life and reminds me a little of my relationship to my father and also to my son. Its a short read and one you can read over and over without getting bored. Ive also bought around 7 copies and given them to friends who have loved it every bit as much as I have.

Since the book is a short read I also pull out a poem which I love and by which I kinda structure and live my life by. It always inspires me, calms me and makes me think about my place in the world and the bigger picture in general. Im sure all of you will know it, but if you really concentrate on the words and the message it becomes apparent this is a work of genius and beauty, greater than any book on life and philosophy I have ever read. Take 2 to give it a read...

IF-

If you can keep your head when all about you   
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,   
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
    But make allowance for their doubting too;   
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
    Or being lied about, dont deal in lies,
Or being hated, dont give way to hating,
    And yet dont look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dreamand not make dreams your master;   
    If you can thinkand not make thoughts your aim;   
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two impostors just the same;   
If you can bear to hear the truth youve spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
    And stoop and build em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
    And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
    To serve your turn long after they are gone,   
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
    Except the Will which says to them: Hold on!

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,   
    Or walk with Kingsnor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
    If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
    With sixty seconds worth of distance run,   
Yours is the Earth and everything thats in it,   
    Andwhich is moreyoull be a Man, my son

I reach inside the bag and pull out a DVD - its one of my favourite films and one of only a handful I can watch again and again without getting bored. I was really torn between this film and Enter The Dragon which I also love and cannot resist watching over and over, however the dialogue in my favourite chosen film is sooo intense and smart that in the end there could only be one choice.

I love the way its filmed, it starts off beautifully and builds to crazy times before a self destructive end which is quite sad but karma gets us all - no matter how untouchable we think we are. The music score is great and the intensity of the acting is electric - and my favourite scene direct from the film - edited a little

Henry: You're a pistol! You're really funny. You're really funny!
Tommy: What do you mean I'm funny?
Henry: It's funny, you know. It's a good story, it's funny, you're a funny guy!
Tommy: What do you mean? You mean the way I talk? What?
[Everyone becomes quiet]
Henry: It's just, you know, you're just funny. It's funny, the way you tell the story and everything.
Tommy: Funny how? I mean, what's funny about it?
Anthony: Tommy, no, you got it all wrong
Tommy: Oh, no, Anthony. He's a big boy, he knows what he said. [to Henry] What did ya say? Funny how?
Henry: Just
Tommy: What?
Henry: Just, ya know, you're funny.
Tommy: You mean, let me understand this, 'cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little ****** up maybe, but I'm funny how? I mean funny like I'm a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to ******' amuse you? What do you mean funny? Funny how? How am I funny?
Henry: Just... you know, how you tell the story, y'know what?
Tommy: No, no, I don't know. You said it! How do I know? You said I'm funny. How the **** am I funny? What the **** is so funny about me?! Tell me, tell me what's funny!
[Long pause]
Henry: Get the **** out of here, Tommy!
[Everyone laughs]

I put the DVD down in the sand and rattle around once more inside the bag and pull out two pictures.

The first is of my family on our first family visit to NYC in December for Christmas. Now I love NYC - but Jay (my wife) and I were really worried the kids wouldnt like all the shopping and the cold - as we are mainly sun lizards who love the beach and sea. The kids loved the trip - we wrapped up warm every day and walked from our hotel in mid-town all over NYC, stopping for coffee and shopping every 7 or so blocks. It was a great time and this picture really sums up the excitement from my family of a great adventure. Like most great holidays it was only after we got back and reflected upon the holiday did we realise just how special it was!

The second picture - and fond memory is of a trip my business partner (and bro from another mo) Jonny and I made to India three years ago. We took part in a rally in South India for Unicef in 1960s Morris Oxfords. It was for two weeks and everyday was a blast. When we drove thru tiny villages wed see the local children who have very little smiling and waving and wearing the most pristine school uniforms with their hair immaculate - such was the pride in their appearance when attending school. It really made me feel very humble and thankful, it also made me pine to see my children. It was an amazing trip which always makes me smile when I think about it. Jonny and I even represented the Risti community!!

Repping in style in India...

I dedicated the trip to my brother in law who passed away a few months before we set off - love always

Jonny chillin with our car...

School kids - who we treated to whatever they wanted from a local store... cheers boys!

I pull out some tupperware which contains my fathers home made lamb curry. If I could only eat one final meal itd be my fathers lamb curry. Its pretty much the best curry in the world and slow cooked for around 4 hours with fresh spices and chillies added s l o w l y. Hmmmmmmm - no pics, sorry as its always gone before the camera can come out!! The other great thing about it is he makes sooo much that it usually turns into a small party with a lot of family sharing in the goodness!

Finally as I start to fall asleep on this beautiful and strange island I hold a picture of the one person who Id like to share this experience with - no its not Covac, but my soulmate and wife Jay. I met Jay when I was 17 years old and knew she was the one from day one - straight up! She never felt the same : ))) but I kept at her and eventually she made an honest man outta me! This pic is of her on holiday in Dubai and her eyes say it all

The next morning I awake, gather all my items into my bag and decide to explore this island. As I walk I see Cockatoos and this always reminds me of Covac - as he loves a cock or two : ))) See, even stranded with nothing I got mad comedy skills!! Its getting hot and my eyes are playing tricks on me. the sun is beating down and I pass out.

When I come round I find myself in a hotel room - theres some weird bloke dressed as Popeye wearing a 6154

I MUST be dreaming I keep thinking to myself. then weirdo nut-job says with a big smile.

Geeday m8 - welcome to Hammo!!!

THE END!!

Thanks for coming along on my DID - hope you enjoyed the ride!

Wanna play???? - Please reply to this post and Ill pick someone later today.

Please have your DID post ready for next Monday - 5th December.

One love

GUSH

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Hammer
(Login HammerHammer)
High Heid Yin

OMG !!!! Gush BEST DID EVER !!!!!!!!! thanks so much for sharing it's amazing M8 (nt)

November 28 2011, 12:24 PM 

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

So much MORE than just a Watch wink.gif

What Watch ,, it's the M8TES behind my brand that I LOVE ,, the Watch is just the GPS wink.gifwink.gif

A decade on ,, I COPY it now ,, More than EVER b4 >> it's a PANERAI behind every Panerai is a PANERISTI happy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gif

And dat , SIMPLY blows me away ,, U Bet....................... BBQ Drew RIP wink.gif
[linked image]
[linked image]
Feel the Passion ,, Respect the DNA ,, Cheers Beers ,,, Hoo Roo Hammer happy.gifsad.gif
Photobucket Pictures, Images and PhotosPhotobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Photobucket Pictures, Images and PhotosPhotobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Respond to this message   

GUSH
(Login Gu5h)
High Heid Yin

Thanks m8 - learnt from the best H : )) <nt>

November 28 2011, 3:41 PM 

GUSH

Respond to this message   

charles
(Login CharlesLC)
High Heid Yin

Way to bring it back in style, Gush! nt

November 28 2011, 12:28 PM 

Respond to this message   

GUSH
(Login Gu5h)
High Heid Yin

Grazie Charles! <nt>

November 28 2011, 3:55 PM 

GUSH

Respond to this message   

J-F.
(Login J-F.)
Paneristi

Really not disappointed by my bil's did ;)))

November 28 2011, 12:29 PM 

all in fun happy.gif

Respond to this message   

GUSH
(Login Gu5h)
High Heid Yin

BIL - it may be you next?? : ))) <nt>

November 28 2011, 3:55 PM 

GUSH

Respond to this message   

Gatsby
(Login GatsbyTheRat)
Paneristi

Fantastic read mate :-)))))

November 28 2011, 12:32 PM 

Glad YOU picked the D.I.D up again happy.gif Was a real pleasure speaking to you in London earlier - send my regards to Johnny happy.gif

[linked image] [linked image]

Respond to this message   

GUSH
(Login Gu5h)
High Heid Yin

Thanks Gabriel m8 - hope to see you here soon! <nt>

November 28 2011, 3:56 PM 

GUSH

Respond to this message   

eric s.
(Login hkgweilo)
High Heid Yin

whoa...great one Gush!!! Love your choice of watches and films!

November 28 2011, 12:32 PM 

Photobucket

Respond to this message   

GUSH
(Login Gu5h)
High Heid Yin

Cheers Eric m8 <nt>

November 28 2011, 3:57 PM 

GUSH

Respond to this message   

Zameen Zahari
(Login zameenzahari)
Paneristi

That's bringing back the DID with a bam!!! Great stuff Gush!! Amazing !!<nt>

November 28 2011, 12:37 PM 

Respond to this message   

GUSH
(Login Gu5h)
High Heid Yin

BAM is right Z man - Sing crew rule! <nt>

November 28 2011, 3:58 PM 

GUSH

Respond to this message   

Jpvfx
(Login Jpvfx)
Paneristi

M8 .. the smell of milk joke ......

November 28 2011, 12:40 PM 

LOL Cracked me up - thats one very very funny DID for a chilly Monday morning - Congrats wink.gif
Jp

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
Photobucket

Respond to this message   

GUSH
(Login Gu5h)
High Heid Yin

: )) Cheeky I know but PJ is all good fun! <nt>

November 28 2011, 3:58 PM 

GUSH

Respond to this message   

hongT
(Login hongT)
Paneristi

Interesting Desert Island Dream Gush bro!!

November 28 2011, 12:42 PM 

Very nice bro!

Cheers wink.gif
HongT

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

GUSH
(Login Gu5h)
High Heid Yin

Thanks Hong m8 - hope all is good <nt>

November 28 2011, 3:59 PM 

GUSH

Respond to this message   

frankV
(Login FrankV1)

Super enjoyable Gush, thank you.

November 28 2011, 12:55 PM 

Governare lItalia non è impossibile, è inutile. (Giovanni Giolitti)

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

GUSH
(Login Gu5h)
High Heid Yin

Well thank you sir - I hope to set the standard : )) <nt>

November 28 2011, 3:59 PM 

GUSH

Respond to this message   

Paul190H
(Login hjhph)
Paneristi

Kaboom!!! Great way to bring back the D.I.D Gush............

November 28 2011, 2:25 PM 

a great read and mate, that curry must be good if you chose it over Jay's Lamb-burgers!!!

[linked image]
[linked image]

[linked image]
"Golf is a game whose aim is to hit a very small ball into a even smaller hole,
with weapons singularly ill-designed for the purpose" Winston Churchill

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index