<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Boxing Day D.I.D.

December 26 2011 at 9:38 AM

epfunk  (Login epfunk)
from IP address 67.83.206.112

Weirdest thing happened to me a few weeks ago.

Life in the S.V.U. Unit hadn't been going so well lately. I'd been working on a case for months with no leads. It was becoming clear that I ain't no Colombo. In a last ditch effort I'd even gone to the media.

[linked image]

The District Attorney wasn't pleased.

[linked image]

Eric, take some time off! Get away! Maybe a vacation will do you some good. After you take a break you might see the case from a new perspective and possibly see something you hadn't seen before.

I thought, Maybe he's right. Why not? I hopped on a train straightaway to the Newark airport booked a flight to the only place I could think of that I'd really want to go...

Nine hour trip summed up:

Flew over this:

[linked image]

And landed here:

[linked image]

Thats right:

[linked image]

Napoli! Pozzuoli specifically. I lived here for a while in the mid 90's. It's a second home to me. No, I never bought a Panerai while I was there. Like an idiot, I squandered almost all of my Lira on booze and chasing girls with very little success. Truthfully, at that stage of my life I'd have traded most of my possessions for very little so I can relate to some of those stories about vintages. All in all though, it wasn't a bad way to spend your early twenties.

This is a photo from the apartment I stayed at when I was there. Naturally I headed straight back. But it looked different from when I last saw it. Older maybe... or younger? And it was empty.

[linked image]

So after dumping most of my stuff off there, I went down to shore to check out the scene. On the way down I noticed that in fact everything looked differently than how I remembered. And all the cars were cinquecentos. Very strange but I like it! Best car ever made.

[linked image]

As I get down to the boardwalk I notice this young girl sitting there:

[linked image]

She looks like someone I know grew up in this town but I can't quite place her face. Strange. I feel dizzy. Maybe jetlag. Maybe vino? Next thing I know I'm riding through town up the hill on her Vespa. Wait is that a logo? Is it a sign?

[linked image]

Unfortunately she passes right by the Solfatara and keeps going.

[linked image]

I think we're headed towards the Lago D'Averno if I remember right...
Yep, theres the Temple to Apollo:

[linked image]

The Romans believed that this lake was the entrance to the Underworld. Virgil talks about it in the Aeneid (Look it up Luke, I know you are lying about those Latin classes).

[linked image]

Next thing I know she hands me some old scuba gear. Smells even older than the Cinquecento and Vespa fumes on the way up.

[linked image]

I'm wondering where the hell this thing has been, but I dont really care what I'm wearing really because she's changing into this... :

[linked image]

Lucky for me I brought two perfect watches for this adventure. First, Gush let me borrow his 217 for a month. It's true people. Gush will let you borrow watches. Just email him, I'm not lying. Really, do it! Flood his email. Maybe he'll even lend you his vintage.

But I love THIS watch! My grail of the modern set:

[linked image]

The second piece I brought, another good friend back home lent me for the trip:

[linked image]

What you don't believe me? Im about to go scuba diving in the Lago D'Averno in Italy with Sophia Loren and this is what's tripping you up? You really are a watch geek!

Fine! If you want the truth, Gush and Eng wont give you their watches for vacations. I was probably wearing my trusty old 111 that I wear just about every day but the two above are the best Panerai has ever done PUNTO and BASTA.

[linked image]

I love this watch even if it has been described on our beloved site as "disposable". Here's the photo someone took at the moment I opened the box. I love my shiteatingrin. Makes me laugh when I look at it.

[linked image]

And truth be told, if I am swimming into hell I hope I'm wearing it with one of these two straps and this buckle made by really great personal friends that I wouldnt know without having found p.com.

[linked image]
[linked image]

So I strap on the 111 and I jump in feet first:

[linked image]

When I get in the water I realize I'm alone. Sophia ran off. I know this was too good to be true!

[linked image]

But I figure if I'm down here I'll take a look around and get a sneak preview of what awaits me...

[linked image]

I'm starting to get lost down here. A lot of caves and it's getting HOT! I'm confused. Then I see the angriest lookin dude I've ever seen. Scares the bollox straight up inside me. Hard to describe but looks a lot like this guy as a matter of fact.

[linked image]
(That's Hades Luke. I said look it up! C'mon stay with me...)

So, I hightail it outta there as fast as I can.

[linked image]

Finally I see an opening and head for the surface:

[linked image]

When I hit the shore I figure I must have drifted out into the bay of Naples. I hadn't been underwater that long. Im hoping I've washed up on Capri.

[linked image]

Nope, definitely not. Maybe Ischia?

[linked image]

Not there either. How about Procida?

[linked image]

But this island doesn't even look like anything in the Mediterranean and there isn't anyone around:

[linked image]

Crap, a woman's done me in again in Italy. And I'm starving. I wish I would have eaten before I met that blasted bird... If I could have, here's what I would have eaten.

My perfect Italian meal:

Most definitely a Negroni to start it off. 3 equal parts Gin, Campari and Vermouth with a slice of orange on the rocks. Perfection. All alcohol. Two and Im ready for food and wine. Three and I'm ready to party.
[linked image]

I'd have Prosciutto di Parma and Mozzarella di Bufala as an app. This is from Raffaele's place in North Bergen, Trattoria La Sorrentina (Shill #1 !!!):

[linked image]

Primo and Secondo? My wife's family Sunday Gravy with a nice bottle of Barolo:

[linked image]

That's what I'd really want in Italy.

But if I could pick any restaurant in the world, I'd hit St. John's in London. Ferg. 'nuff said. Meet me there in September.

[linked image]

I don't eat dessert so I'm washing either meal down with beer. I love a good cask ale like Timothy Taylor's. Had quite a few of these at the DBA this year!

[linked image]

But if I'm stuck on this island what I'll really eventually start CRAVING is a Guinness. But only if its poured properly and not by some student in a sports bar. Barkeeps please take note. They do it right at Banter in Crooklyn (Shill #2 !!!):

[linked image]

See, if you don't adhere to this method you will end up with something like this travesty that I had put in front of my a few weeks ago. Disgraceful. She told me it would settle. Best believe I F@#$%ed this right back to her.

[linked image]
Sorry for the tangent. Thank you for letting me vent.

Since I just took all that time thinking about food on this Godforsaken desert island I'm famished. Good thing I wore my Special Edition Ian Brown kicks (it's a dream right?). These laces might help me catch some fish. Maybe slice up those golden IB's for a shank.

[linked image]

Speaking of Ian Brown, love him but my damn iPod must have gotten wet. It's only playing two songs.

Fortunately for me they are two of the best.

1)The Clash - Clampdown. There other Clash songs like White Man or Complete Control that you might like better but to me this is the only band that matters at their finest:

2) Next, I'm staying punk. One of my favorite bands ever, originally known as The Pogue Mahones. Pucker up!

[linked image]

I love this song because when I hear it I think about growing up with my Mom. I think about my wife (we danced to it at our wedding). I think about friends I lost along the way and I also think about the future. After this song comes on, it's just about as sentimental as you'll ever find me even though that sort of contradicts the song. I know. That damn Shane playin tricks.

Anyway, here's me and Mom:

[linked image]

And here's the Pogues - A Rainy Night in Soho:

At this point I reach into my pack and find my favorite photo of all time. It hangs on my In-Law's fridge at their house. It's the two of them together with me and my wife.

[linked image]

What you don't see me? Im there!!! Well my left arm anyway. Yes, they cut me out of the photo. I know, I'm clearly their favorite...

Whatever, I'll use it as a bookmark for my favorite book.

As a kid it was this:

[linked image]

Recently it's been anything by Milan Kundera, a Czech writer (Shout out to Pea-Day Praha 2012)! But for this trip I brought Crime and Punishment. Read it a few times and love it but want to read this new translation and haven't gotten around to it yet.

[linked image]

I'm not in the mood to read though right now and luckily my iPod has a movie on it:

[linked image]

Dammit, not that one! I hate when people find my stash.

Actually the only movie I can watch over and over and over is the Big Lebowski. Therefore it must be my favorite. Don't know why...

[linked image]

One of my favorite Panerai related memories (or lack thereof) was this year at the Montreal GTG. I have no idea what time in the morning it was. I'm thinking 4AMish. I remember someone throwing a heel at me. I remember cracking the crystal on my watch. I remember fire trucks and broken elevators. I remember eating at a sandwich shop and not knowing if I paid for my food. That's what I remember. What I don't remember hardly at all is taking this photo. And that my friends is what I love about GTG's and these "geriatric friendship bracelets" that bring us together.

[linked image]

So on this island I have great music, good books, great watches and great memories but what I don't have and the only thing I'd really truly miss is my wifey Danielle. She's a beautiful, vivacious, dynamic woman and a real punk rock chick. Better than Sophia. Honestly! Chuck A told me I married up. True.

[linked image]

That's me and her and a Panerai. We've been together for over 11 years but just entering our third year of Marriage. In keeping with the Italian theme I'll tell you that the third does seem to go a little like this...

[linked image]

And that's how this dream ended. With a kick in the ass in the middle of the night.

I know it was long. Hope you made it to the end.

Now, because the Clash are still playing as I'm typing this and I'm feeling a little punk rock, I'm bucking rules right here and now and picking someone for the next Desert Island Dream immediately. Scroll Down to see who >>>>>>>
[linked image]

That's right. It's Boxing Day so I'm kicking it back across the pond to the UK. Looking forward to it Paul! January 2nd 2012 New Years Edition.

This post was brought to you by the Pozzuoli (NA) Council of Tourism and The Please Hurry Back JF and Sidekick Association. Also I stole the scuba photos awhile ago and cant find the owners. Sue me.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

GUSH
(Login Gu5h)
High Heid Yin

You sentimental soft old git!! >>>>

December 26 2011, 10:07 AM 

Loved it Eric!! Chuck is right - you married up brother, but hey every man here pretty did - apart from me, Jay lucked out : ))

Thx for a great boxing day DID m8, made me smile. Pic of you and your moms is great!

Paul H bring it m8...

GUSH

Respond to this message   

Paddy
(Premier Login Kingsholm14)
High Heid Yin

Thanks a lot. Very interesting stuff. Great to read. Nt

December 26 2011, 11:42 AM 

Respond to this message   

Mike
(Login mekeni78)

Awesome!

December 26 2011, 11:55 AM 

I feel like I just walked out of the theatre. Nice one dude. All the best with you and your wife.

Respond to this message   

Terry
(Login FattoAManoNJ)
Paneristi

Strong work EP- loved it

December 26 2011, 12:15 PM 

Makes me look forward to P Day
where do you get your material? clever stuff !!!

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Respond to this message   
steve krawse
(Login steveroadking)

There's a lot of good stuff going on here:)

December 26 2011, 12:40 PM 

Eric, hai fatto il grande lavoro il mio amico! Magnifico! Bravo!

"Life's an adventure, you might as well wear a Panerai"
Steve (steveroadking)
249,270,305,339,BBQ360

Richardson Hwy, Valdez, Alaska-- The Brooks Range via Dalton Hwy Alaska--Prudhoe Bay/Deadhorse Arctic Ocean Alaska--Dawson Cr, Mile Marker '0' Alaska Canadian Hwy Alberta Canada--Yukon Territory, Al Can Highway--Crossing the Yukon River via The George Black Ferry from Dawson City--Poker Creek, population 2, furthest northern border crossing in Alaska. The Forty Mile River Region/Top Of The World Highway

[linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image]

Respond to this message   
Ed W.
(Login prosecutor76)

Didn't realize you were such a teddy bear ...

December 26 2011, 1:39 PM 

I think I deserved a little credit for hooking Danielle up with the 111 wink.gif

Respond to this message   
MJ
(Login emjay23)
Paneristi

Great stuff Eric

December 26 2011, 1:40 PM 

Enjoyed reading it. wink.gif

Respond to this message   

L(uke)
(Login snoballz)
Paneristi

Your sleuthing paid off. Congratulations on winning >>>

December 26 2011, 1:49 PM 

your case.

N.C. man could face up to 90 years in prison after 2010 Irvington torture incident
Published: Thursday, December 15, 2011, 9:08 PM
David Giambusso/The Star-Ledger By David Giambusso/The Star-Ledger

NEWARK A North Carolina man could face up to 90 years in prison after a jury found him guilty today of sexually assaulting and torturing two women he restrained in a basement apartment.

Anthony Massenburg of Louisburg, N.C., was convicted in Superior Court in Newark on 14 counts, including attempted murder, aggravated assault and sexual assault after breaking into a basement apartment in Irvington in January 2010, tying up two women and sexually assaulting them over a four-hour period, the Essex County Prosecutors Office said.

This was a horrific crime involving two innocent women, said Assistant Prosecutor Eric Plant, who tried the case.

Massenburg, 40, and three accomplices allegedly broke into the apartment looking for the tenants boyfriend. When she would not reveal the mans location, she and another woman in the apartment were tied up with zip cords, their mouths and eyes duct-taped, and they were sexually assaulted and tortured.

Massenburg attempted to drown the girlfriend in the bathtub, the prosecutors office said in a statement. He also used a plastic bag to suffocate the friend until the girlfriend agreed to call her boyfriend.

Two of Massenburgs alleged accomplices were never identified. Another was acquitted. Massenburg is scheduled to be sentenced Jan. 23. The Essex County Prosecutors Office will request three consecutive 30-year sentences.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Damn son, you put together a hilarious yet thoughtful DID. Nice job for a lurker. wink.gif

Oh, one more thing. A Luminor with a tux?! You sure did buck the rules. I know another attorney in Jersey that may sue you. Keep the peas.

-luke

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Brian
(Login richison)
Paneristi

Right on brother! Keepin it real...LOL

December 26 2011, 2:04 PM 

Too funky! I'm sure Luke still hasn't looked it up. wink.gif

Community! So much more than a watch!
L1040308Nad-1.jpg
JustForLaughsGroup-1.jpg

Community.jpg

Respond to this message   

Michael M.
(Login Mehall)
Paneristi

Great job!

December 26 2011, 3:46 PM 

Fun read - Thanks!
PS: Big congrats on your victory! What a scary asshole!!!!

Photobucket

Respond to this message   

Farbod
(Login Farbod007)
Paneristi

Great DID Dude, I mean Eric :)

December 26 2011, 4:29 PM 

Thanks for taking us on a fun ride. That was cool
Cheers

Respond to this message   

Polleke
(Login Paul-Belgium)
Paneristi

Great DID and read Eric

December 26 2011, 4:42 PM 

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours

Polleke

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Gregesq
(Login Gregesq)
Paneristi

Really Impressive! nt

December 26 2011, 7:22 PM 

[linked image] [linked image]

Respond to this message   

Aurelio S.
(Login AurelioS)
Paneristi

Like unwrapping another Christmas present :))

December 26 2011, 8:14 PM 

Thanks amigo - great stuff happy.gifhappy.gif

Ciao, e presto!
Xoxoxo

That's how we roll...

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

covac
(Login covactanks)
High Heid Yin

Brilliant !!!...Loved that post Eric......

December 26 2011, 8:16 PM 

Clampdown is a great track and takes me back to my time on the track at the Jag ....

and ....we have the same trainers ..........

Photobucket

happy.gif

xxx

'Last night what we talked about
It made so much sense
But now the haze has ascended
It don't make no sense anymore'
hamcov.jpgPhotobucket

RIPBBQ

Respond to this message   

Action Dan
(Login action--dan)
Paneristi

Fantastic DID! Another great read!! n/t

December 26 2011, 10:14 PM 

Respond to this message   

Paul190H
(Login hjhph)
Paneristi

Het mate a thoroughly enjoyable read...............

December 26 2011, 10:49 PM 

right up to the point when your ugly mug appeared alongside my car!! wink.gif Seriously Eric, a great D.I.D mate and loved the wedding photos, Chuck was right wink.gif.
I have a bit of work to do, thanks for the honour, I'll do my worst happy.gif

[linked image]
[linked image]

[linked image]
"Golf is a game whose aim is to hit a very small ball into a even smaller hole,
with weapons singularly ill-designed for the purpose" Winston Churchill

Respond to this message   

Renault
(Login Momsph)

Awesome post..

December 27 2011, 12:09 AM 

mate...Happy Holidays.