<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

*** SIHH 2012: SIHH Live Report, part 3

January 16 2012 at 1:50 PM

paneristi.com SIHH Team  (Login hkgweilo)
High Heid Yin
from IP address 194.209.199.21

I'm going to call this Part 3, since Gush just posted some of his observations.

Just returned from lunch with some Panerai people. I asked them, how is the brand defined by the new collection. The answer was very simple: "Identity and Technology". They know their greatest strength is their history. If you think about it, how many watch brands could be identified if no logo was present on the dial? Not many.

I think we all believe that the current watches are contemporary and fit with today's taste. But, we forget that many of these watches were originally developed in the 1940's. It goes to show how timeless the design was that even a watch developed 70 years ago is as contemporary today, as it likely was in 1943.

As I mentioned, another theme I am coming away with this year is the emphasis on movements and movement finishing. We're seeing some new models featuring the Minerva movement, including the 398 and 399. As we saw previously on the PAM309 and PAM322, the detail and level of finishing on this movement is beautiful.

SIHH-31.jpg

SIHH-32.jpg

SIHH-49.jpg

Another stunning movement is found on the PAM395, 8-days red gold Radiomir ("GMT Rosso"). Here, by skeletonizing the p2002 movement transforms the watch. I almost would want to wear this watch back-side up to show off the mechanicals.

SIHH-24.jpg

SIHH-25.jpg

Another beauty, although a pricey one, is the enhanced tourbillon movement found in the ceramica PAM396. Here, by using a new PVD method they are able to again coat the movement and also add additional enhancements of gold accents. Lovely.

I did ask what's different about this coating vs. the one used on the 317. They didn't have any details but seemed confident that this process would not pose any issues for them in production. (maybe we'll see the 317 move to this style?)

SIHH-23.jpg

Lastly, we see the engine found on the PAM438 "Tuttonero" GMT ceramica w/bracelet. Based on the p9001, this also feature movement coating and also some gold engraving that really make it stand out.

SIHH-20.jpg

So, new models aside, I think for you movement freaks out there, there's definitely something to be excited about with the 2012 collection.

Photobucket

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Eric Skier
(Login TokyoSkier)

Great pics of...

January 16 2012, 2:07 PM 

some wonderful watches! I really love the movement shots!

Respond to this message   

Martin Wilmsen
(Select Login wilmsenm)
High Heid Yin

Thanks! Looks great! (nt)

January 16 2012, 2:10 PM 

Respond to this message   

Anders
(Login scuderia-f1)

THANKS! nt

January 16 2012, 2:21 PM 

Anders, Stockholm Sweden.
PAM 212 J
Sjöö-Sandström Racing Chronograph

Respond to this message   

Jay
(Login jcatral14)

Guilty!

January 16 2012, 2:24 PM 

Movement freak here. Thanks for sharing happy.gif

-Jay in Northern NJ happy.gif

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

TLG
(Login Confunktion)

395 movement

January 16 2012, 2:52 PM 

Is off the charts!

Respond to this message   
Gordie
(Login modenaboy)

Is 438 movement rough/gold or smooth/white lettering?

January 16 2012, 8:11 PM 

I noticed in the press shot, the 438 movement is smooth with white lettering, looks gorgeous.

The pic above of the watch at SIHH shows a rougher texture with gold lettering, also very nice although my personal taste leans more towards the smooth/white.

Any word on how it will look in production?

Thanks, and thanks for all the pics and reporting, you guys are awesome!

-- Gordie

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index