<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

*** SIHH 2012 paneristi.com exclusive - Live pictures of the PAM449

January 21 2012 at 9:02 PM

Paneristi.com SIHH team  (Select Login wilmsenm)
High Heid Yin
from IP address 77.166.210.187

As I wrote in my SIHH introduction post earlier today, Mr Bonati told me that he does read paneristi.com from time to time, and that he is always interested in what the paneristi have to say.

I'd like to think that the introduction of the new Panerai Radiomir S.L.C. 3 Days really shows that OP are listening. Lots of people were saying that the PAM373 was a winner at last year's SIHH, but if only it was available in steel (the 373 has a platinum case). Well, the PAM449 must be OP's answer.

I have to admit that when I saw the first press photos, I really did like this watch - but I wasn't sure about the blue hands. Seeing a watch in person can make you change your mind in no time at all. I really do love this watch and its blue hands look perfect on it.

The PAM449 is a Special Edition and 500 units will be produced.

Note that the watch in the photos is still a prototype so the final production version may be somewhat different. If you have a good look at the photos, you can easily spot some things that the final version won't have.

On to the photos...

[linked image]

The words Radiomir Panerai are engraved in the dial, the above photo clearly shows how 3d this engraving is. Very cool happy.gif

[linked image]

As you can see, the Luminova is ecru. Same as that of e.g. the PAM372. I was told that "ecru" is actually the preferred term to use when referring to this color. Further info can be found here on wikipedia.org.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

The SIHH documentation contains this information: To emphasise the strong historical connotations of these two Special Editions, the word VINTAGE
is engraved between the strap attachments at 6 oclock
. As you can see in the photos, the prototype doesn't have this detail yet.

[linked image]

[linked image]

The crown has the embossed OP logo.

[linked image]

The SIHH prototype has PAM00426 engraved where the strap is attached at the 12 o'clock position. This is obviously another detail that the final production version will not have. I'm not sure what will be there instead.

[linked image]

You can find the SIHH specifications here:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/thread/1326703618/***+SIHH+2012+%26gt%3B+RADIOMIR+S.L.C.+3+DAYS+-+47+MM+-+PAM449+SPECIAL+EDITION+***

The first official OP photos of the watch from the SIHH press kit can be found here:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/thread/1326709228/***+SIHH+2012+photos+of+the+PAM449+Radiomir+S.L.C+3+Days+47mm

For your reference, here are some photos of the PAM373 that was introduced last year.

The 373 has a brownish dial whereas that of the 449 is black.
Other differences are that 373 has gold hands, a platinum case and it comes with an alligator strap.
Both the 373 and and the 449 have the in-house P.3000 movement.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Thanks for looking,
Martin / paneristi.com SIHH team

[linked image]

This message has been edited by wilmsenm from IP address 217.149.135.209 on Mar 12, 2012 4:33 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Polleke
(Login Paul-Belgium)
Paneristi

Beautyfull photos Martin that's a killer watch

January 21 2012, 9:11 PM 

were can i get one .....
Many thanks

Polleke

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Bill Mott
(Login Bill_Mott)

I was already in love with the 449...

January 22 2012, 12:35 PM 

But these photos just put me into the "sold" category.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Eddie Sanchez
(Login ERSanchez)
Paneristi

This model is the star of the show, IMO.....

January 21 2012, 9:13 PM 

....breath-taking from every angle. The dial is absolutely perfect with it's simplicity features that still manage to scream Panerai. Hopefully nothing much will change from the proto to production? Either way, it's a winner! And I can't wait to see it in person.

Thanks for the excellent photos, killer! wink.gif Even though you have a way of making the ugliest watch look spectacular, that isn't the case with this one. happy.gif

Cheers & HAGWE!!

Eddie "Sharkman" Sanchez

"It's all about the patina, Baby!"

P U R A V I D A !
happy.gif

[linked image] [linked image]

The pleasure of what we enjoy is lost by wanting more ~ fortune cookie

Respond to this message   

Martin Wilmsen
(Select Login wilmsenm)
High Heid Yin

I think...

January 21 2012, 11:25 PM 

only the engraving between the strap attachments will change and nothing else. But who knows...
Cheers,
Martin

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Jim (time4me)
(Login time4me)
Paneristi

Spectacular! Bravo! Bravo!

January 21 2012, 9:19 PM 

Can't wait to see this one in the metal!

Jim (time4me)

"It is not so much how you manage the successes but how you withstand the crisis."

GGPCLOGOFINAL.jpg  hammergtgsmall.jpg  MLD2.jpg  PowerUp.jpg ekso.png

Respond to this message   

JBS
(Login stingerstingray)
Paneristi

both are beautiful and elegant watches. obviously, 449 is more affordable to my wallet.

January 21 2012, 9:26 PM 

Pam 382; Pam 112; Rolex GMT MasterII

Respond to this message   

Socko
(Login porsche-964)
Paneristi

Killer pics as always Martin....you continue to impress us with your talents!

January 21 2012, 9:26 PM 

Photobucket

Respond to this message   

censec
(Login censec)
Paneristi

Love this one! Especially because of the blue hands...very close to the roots!

January 21 2012, 9:28 PM 

Huge thanks on that detailed implementation to Sig AB and Panerai! Great challenge - with brilliance done.

Chapeau,
Hagen

Respond to this message   

Zameen Zahari
(Login zameenzahari)
Paneristi

Great report and of course killer pictures of a stunning piece Martin!>>

January 21 2012, 9:39 PM 

Can't wait to get my hands on one!!

Respond to this message   
Pam 449
(Login Panerai449)

Best 449 write up yet

January 21 2012, 9:47 PM 

Wonderful work many many thanks - this is the reason why I've switched to being a future Panerai owner the passion shown by the Paneristi and OP completely in touch with what their customers want - and delivering in pure Italian flair and style and history.

Respond to this message   

L(uke)
(Login snoballz)
Paneristi

Hope Signor Bonati realizes with these photos of yours, OP will need to increase >>>

January 21 2012, 9:47 PM 

the production!

Fantastic photos of a beautiful & historic piece! Thanks Martin.

-luke

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

dp
(Login fullcourt1)
Paneristi

beautiful martin....thanks

January 21 2012, 9:50 PM 

[linked image]
dp
just living the dream
chicago

Respond to this message   

Bernie
(Login HinaIpo)
Paneristi

As alway great pic Martin...Love that dial !!

January 21 2012, 9:51 PM 

hawaii logonyPhotobucket

Respond to this message   
Josh
(Login docbowman)
Paneristi

beautiful Martin...thank you.

January 21 2012, 9:56 PM 

can't wait to see your visual take on the 448.
i'm on the wait list at my AD for the 2012 Cali, but after seeing these, i might be regretting my decision.
also, as an aside, i'm secretly hoping that they leave the word "VINTAGE" off the final production pieces.

Respond to this message   

Jpvfx
(Login Jpvfx)
Paneristi

Martin great pics .....

January 21 2012, 9:55 PM 

Of a not to shabby looking watch wink.gif

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
Photobucket

Respond to this message   

Luciano Chao
(Login LUCCHAO)
Paneristi

very nice, but...

January 21 2012, 9:56 PM 

Please, the word VINTAGE is off, isn't it?

Vintage watch is a VINTAGE watch, why call vintage a new model? Free use of words, but I think this models would be much better without this "plus"

If a buyer buys the watch for its aesthetic not for historical resemblance, then "vintage" would mean nothing. If a buyer buys this watch because of its historical resemblance, still "vintage" would have nill value.

best

Respond to this message   
Josh
(Login docbowman)
Paneristi

Totally agree (nt)

January 21 2012, 10:14 PM 

Respond to this message   

Martin Wilmsen
(Select Login wilmsenm)
High Heid Yin

Opinion...

January 21 2012, 11:38 PM 

According to the documentation the word "vintage" will in fact be engraved in the case. Will the production version actually have that? Who knows. I think that this is a watch that will be bought by people both because of its historical resemblance and because it's simply stunning. If you care about both these things then you're double lucky wink.gif Having the engraving or not won't make much of a difference to those buyers. With only 500 pieces you'd better hurry and order one now - and if you do you'll just have to wait and see what details have changed in the final version. Does the word "vintage" have value? Probably as much as "opus facere" or any other engraving, but it might be considered as an ode to its great grandfather and in that respect, yes it does.
Thanks for bringing it up, it's an interesting discussion.
Cheers,
Martin

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Brent
(Login jacksonian71)
Paneristi

Thank you!

January 21 2012, 10:14 PM 

Fabulous pictures, Martin. Thank you as always for stunning work.

Mr. Bonati, if you're reading...Please don't put "Vintage" on the case. Please stick with the way you did the case for the 372 and 373. Put the case style number on one side and the model number on the other. That's so much more classic and timeless than a word like "vintage" being on the watch. I think if you took a poll of Panerai collectors, you'd get a 100% no vote on writing vintage on the watch. Otherwise it's perfect!

Thanks to OP for producing such a great piece and to Martin for making it come alive.

Brent

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index