<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

English text on the dial

June 19 2012 at 2:00 PM

Frank  (Login frsvendsen)
from IP address 212.118.224.149

Am I the only one here who thinks that a Panerai look much better without English text on the dial, for instance "Days", "Automatic" and "Power Reserve"?

Frank

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time - Bertrand Russell

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Nicko16
(Login nickster250)

I agree

June 19 2012, 2:07 PM 

I don't think its necessary these days to put Automatic on the dial. Makes the watch look much cleaner.

I dont mind 8 or 10 days been on the dial though

Respond to this message   

Kevin O'Dell
(Login kevin5)

It's weird I think most watch enthusiasts agree on this....

June 19 2012, 3:26 PM 

That they would rather have that off the watch but maybe its there for the lamen shopping for a watch....doesn't make much sense to me honestly. People even took issue with '1950' written on the 127 dial, but they continue to do it with 8 days and ceramica. I honestly don't think it's terrible or anything but I could certainly do without it and would prefer it not to be there.

Photobucket

Respond to this message   

frankv
(Login FrankV1)
High Heid Yin

Agree Kevin, they should place that on the caseback if they feel is necessary.(nt)

June 19 2012, 3:33 PM 

Night View DUOMO Firenze
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Kevin
(Login khiroshima)

Re: It's weird I think most watch enthusiasts agree on this....

June 19 2012, 5:39 PM 

Maybe it's akin to those BMW drivers that have license frames that say . . . Yes, you guessed it . . . "BMW"

There is that segment of driver/collector that needs to be reminded of what they already own. I don't personally understand it, but yet it exists. Part of what I love about Panerai is its simplicity and lack of showmanship, so I'm guessing (hoping) that readers of this message will appreciate my sentiment, KH

Respond to this message   

Aaron Murphy
(Login murphtyper)

Agreed

June 19 2012, 3:48 PM 

Not a fan especially of "Vintage"

Respond to this message   

Micah
(Login micah372)

You're not alone, that's for sure.

June 19 2012, 3:52 PM 

On some brands the text on the dial is part and parcel of the package, but with Panerai it just seems out of place and counter-intuitive given their design history and oeuvre. You don't need to tell me what the watch is made of, or what the mechanism inside does, I already knew that info when I bought the watch.

The recent inclusion of "vintage" engraved on the cases of some models is another transgression that IMO reduces desirability, even more so than the "automatic" etc. With the modern watches the inclusion of text on the dial that explains what the watch is/does can at least be excused by virtue of the fact that the modern line is reaching out to people looking for a more "engaging" dial and watch. But the vintage homage pieces? The entire allure of them is their simplicity, and the people who will generally be buying them are already aware of the vintage connection... no need for engraving on the case to remind me of what I already know sad.gif

If plexi is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Respond to this message   
Joe Co
(Login Joseph56)

Could not agree more

June 19 2012, 4:23 PM 

I think it just needs to be the name "Panerai" and model name like "Luminor Marina" especially a watch where the design is quite minimal. I was look at a Role Sea Dweller and could not get past the paragraph of text.

Just living the dream waiting for the next PAM

Respond to this message   
Peter
(Login zhuter18)

sure thing, but...

June 19 2012, 4:50 PM 

But I would love to have the 8 giorni on my 8 days

Respond to this message   

Frank
(Login frsvendsen)

Re: sure thing, but...

June 19 2012, 4:56 PM 

That was excactly what I meant. If there should be any text, it should be in Italian.

Frank

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time - Bertrand Russell

Respond to this message   

Phuman
(Login Phumanchu)

Would our Italian friends prefer english then?As 8 Giorni may be a bit boring for them..

June 19 2012, 5:55 PM 

....just looking at it from another angle wink.gif

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

tomi
(Login tomele)

or they will be proud ... ?

June 19 2012, 9:27 PM 

cheers,
Tomi

Respond to this message   
Peter
(Login zhuter18)

True...

June 20 2012, 4:19 AM 

What you said is true... however 8 giorni does has a historic relation to Panerai... I guess it depends. Please answer, Italian mates. What do you prefer?

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index