<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

A mild rant

February 3 2013 at 2:28 AM
  (Login nolander)
from IP address 23.28.25.80

I just noticed my new(ish) 112 has a loose screw on the plate on the movement. It has been keeping good time and been working well, but when I took it off tonight I noticed this. I just got it in September, so it will be a warranty issue, but it is just a pain to have to send it in. I know I am over stressing and it will all get worked out. I am going to check the website now to get things in order to send it back for repair.
I still love my Pam but I had to rant a little.
[linked image]
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Kevin O'Dell
(Login kevin5)

Send it in immediately.....

February 3 2013, 2:35 AM 

Or bring it to a trusted local watchmaker. It's an easy fix but the last thing you want is that little guy falling out completely and damaging the movement.

Photobucket

Respond to this message   

(Login nolander)

Re: Send it in immediately.....

February 3 2013, 2:37 AM 

It's going to Panerai. I know it would be an easy fix, but I am not going to void the warranty by having a local repair done.

Respond to this message   

(Login cpdstick)

cant u

February 3 2013, 2:45 AM 

Just get a caseback remover and then screw the backed out screw back in?

Respond to this message   
shafikzaman
(Login shafikzaman)

your mild rant is well justified

February 3 2013, 2:45 AM 

It's one of those things that happen - which shouldn't : (
good luck with the repair!

Respond to this message   

Danny DeAngelis
(Login DeAngelis2012)

Re: A mild rant

February 3 2013, 2:52 AM 

I also have a 112. Can't tell you how fast I whipped it off to look at my own. All is well. So sorry to see that happened to you. I know they'll make it right but still. Frustrating I'm sure!!

Respond to this message   

(Login bretmarcus)

BOUTIQUE?

February 3 2013, 3:50 AM 

Do you live near a Panerai boutique...preferably the biggest in New York or LA? I would let them ship it off. I think you'll get faster servicing.

http://photobucket.combretmarcus

Respond to this message   

(Login nolander)

I am in Michigan

February 3 2013, 4:03 AM 

I was likely going to send it to Dallas. Again, I agree that it is easy to repair, but I really don't want to void the warranty.
There is no boutique remotely near me, so I am going to have to send it out myself. I was going to call the repair center on Monday to find out exactly what I need to send with the watch and how they want it shipped, etc.

Respond to this message   

(Login latoyii)

Great attitude, shit happens. Things will be fine.

February 3 2013, 4:18 AM 

Respond to this message   

(Login holycosmic)

why you think they'll the know the caseback has been opened?

February 3 2013, 5:48 AM 

Respond to this message   

(Login nadavgalimidi)

This could have happened

February 3 2013, 5:55 AM 

When your watch took a dive or that nasty bump to the 1 O'clock lug...
If I were you, I wouldn't even bother sending it in...
Chances are, that they will tell you that the warranty doesn't cover this since the watch has evidence of being dropped, bumped, knocked around and this could have happened as a result of that...

Get a case back opener and a screwdriver and you can screw that sucker back in in less than 10 seconds.
Shipping the watch back and forth will cost you about X4 as much as a case back opener will...

Not to mention the time it will spend at the service center...

It won't void the warranty if you open the back and screw it in yourself. PANERAI don't have a sensor on the case backs of watches and there's no Red light that comes on at their headquarters every time someone opens a case back outside of the service center...

[linked image]

Just my 2 cents..

Respond to this message   

Dave D
(Login mattymay)

Eagle Eyes. :-)) (nt)

February 3 2013, 9:25 AM 

Respond to this message   

Russell
(Login mrpanerai)

I agree with Nadav

February 3 2013, 2:35 PM 

When Panerai looks at that lug, the warranty will be void.

So this will become a $900 overhaul. I would find a local guy to fix it.

Photobucket

Respond to this message   
chris n
(Login chris5264)

finding the right person..

February 3 2013, 11:55 AM 

I can see why you would send this off....I am pretty nervous doing any work on any watch more than 1,000....first the case back needs the correct tool...actually a rubber ball is best...next,,,you have to be careful not to leave any marks on the screw (easy to do with one small slip). Next you need to make sure you don't get any dust on inside...then you need to regrease the rubber gasket..panerai will replace it, at least they are supposed to.

a good local person could do this in their sleep...but of course...finding a good local watch person is always the trick...I know it could be 6 weeks...but sending it in is probably the safest..

Respond to this message   

(Login rapers)
High Heid Yin

Thank the Lord for display casebacks! Hope the repair doesn't take too long. nt

February 3 2013, 12:01 PM 

nt

Respond to this message   
Nicko16
(Login nickster250)

A minor thing which is lucky.

February 3 2013, 12:54 PM 

My 320 lost a screw and a result of a 8ft drop and some other damage.

"A gentleman's choice of timepiece says as much about him as does his Saville Row suit." - Ian Fleming

Respond to this message   

(Login nolander)

Thanks for all the advice and comments

February 3 2013, 1:50 PM 

It is going back to panerai though. I'm not opening it, nor is someone local. That's what warranty service is for. I don't dare if it takes a few weeks, I have other watches. Knowing myself, if I open it up I will get fingerprints or dust inside. It's just not worth it to me. I learned my lesson about these things a long time ago. Now if it was a $200 watch, that would be a different story.

Respond to this message   
chris n
(Login chris5264)

good idea

February 3 2013, 7:58 PM 

and if they try to say that the warranty isn't valid...that is silly....now it would be different if it was hit and the balance or something broke,,,but I"m sorry...an expensive watch should have the screws tight enough,,,,that they DON"T come out! even with a drop...notice it was only one...that means that that one left panerai NOT tight...sorry but I can't see any other explanation.

Respond to this message   

(Login rioet)

ncie photo

February 3 2013, 3:46 PM 

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Select Login ERSanchez)

Dude, just unscrew the case back....

February 4 2013, 2:33 AM 

....and screw it back in. No worries!!

Eddie "Sharkman" Sanchez

"It's all about the patina, Baby!"

P U R A V I D A !
happy.gif

[linked image] [linked image]

The pleasure of what we enjoy is lost by wanting more ~ fortune cookie

Respond to this message   

(Login micah372)

With Eddie on this...

February 4 2013, 4:27 AM 

Ground down/bashed in lug corner aside, just unscrew the case back, tighten that screw up, put case back back on. Done.

These things aren't antiquities of old, they're just watches, no need to turn a small thing into a big thing.

Plus, in my experience (not with Panerai, granted) the techs that work on your watch are FAR more likely to get fingerprints, dust, hair, fabric particles etc. in the watch than you are. You have a reason to care. To them it's just another watch.

If plexi is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Respond to this message   
Fuad
(Login hsarci)

Since your in Michigan...

February 4 2013, 8:48 AM 

You might want to take the watch to "Back in Time" in downtown Birmingham.

He used to be an AD for Panerai (maybe he still is, I can't remember). But they have a top-notch service department with a great watch maker who would easily fix your problem.

Worth a shot.

Respond to this message   

(Login nolander)

I'll check them out

February 4 2013, 11:32 AM 

Thanks for the info. If it doesn't work out from Panerai, I'll check them out.

Respond to this message   

(Login nolander)

Re: A mild rant

February 4 2013, 7:56 PM 

Ground down/bashed in lug corner? Man, you guys are rough on me. Maybe the camera makes it look worse than it is, but it is literally a small ding. I wouldn't have even noticed it if it wasn't pointed out to me. I think it is more of an angle or lighting thing that makes it look that bad. I wear it, but I haven't dropped it or abused it. It also has many scratches all over the polished case, but I am pretty sure this wouldn't void the warranty. I must say I will be pretty unhappy if I am denied warranty service of a loose screw inside the watch because of scratches on the outside.

Respond to this message   

(Login nolander)

Update

February 17 2013, 6:06 PM 

If anyone is interested, I sent the watch to Panerai service center in Texas. I was told the entire dial had shifted and it was covered under warranty. They are doing a complete service and it will take about 3 weeks. Overall, I am happy, and I am also glad I did not take it to a local watchmaker based on their diagnosis.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - A mild rant
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index