<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Small wrist: Radiomir vs. Radiomir 1940 vs. Luminor 1950

March 14 2017 at 12:21 AM
JohnFM7  (Login hesalitedome)
from IP address 73.92.107.83

I'm specifically wondering how a 424 would look and feel on my relatively small 6.75" wrist compared with a 587 or 372.

Do the wire lugs make a difference, such that the Radiomir looks a little smaller and wears a little lighter and easier over the course of a day?

Thanks.
John

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Kirby
(Login kirby_iv)
Paneristi

Go with the wire lug rad

March 14 2017, 1:59 AM 

Your wrist size IMO is right on the boarder for certain 47mm models, also depends how tall you are and wrist shape IMO. I would go with a 249 or 232 as they do wear much smaller than the 587/372 due to the wire lugs bite down on your wrist vs lugs that are long and might stick out over your wrist like skis. And those two models have thinner cases as well with ETA movements vs the thicker case of the 424. I think your wrist at 6.75 will be well suited for a wire lug 47mm rad.

Good luck

Respond to this message   
JohnFM7
(Login hesalitedome)

I didn't realize the 249 was thinner than the 424

March 14 2017, 3:19 AM 

Thanks for that Kirby! I agree I'm right on the border of being able to comfortably wear a 47mm Panerai, so I'm trying to find a model that will work. As much as I appreciate the 372, I slightly prefer the look of the 587, as well as the various California dial models. It's hard to keep track of the latter, given the variations in dial, hands, movement, etc.

Will a 249 (or 232) be difficult to find at this point?

John

Respond to this message   
Kirby
(Login kirby_iv)
Paneristi

Not a problem

March 15 2017, 12:19 AM 

In fact I know a Risti that has both and was thinking of moving one of them, if your interested shoot me an email. The 587 does wear a tad smaller than the 372 due to lack of crown guard but other than that it's the same case and lugs. For me the issue has always been lugs and the wire lugs bite down so best option IMO

Respond to this message   
Andrew L.
(Login ganagati)
Paneristi

How small is small?

March 14 2017, 4:10 AM 

I thought for the longest time that my wrists were too small to pull off a PAM. Like many in my shoes, I started with the 48 before deciding to push it. The 42mm 392 came out at that time, and I jumped on it. Ultimately I ended up where most do, and I love it. I should've saved myself the money and just started here -

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
JohnFM7
(Login hesalitedome)

Beautiful!

March 14 2017, 4:52 AM 

I hear you Andrew -- and am probably on the same path. The 372 (if that's what it is) fits your wrist perfectly, whatever size it may be!

Respond to this message   
Andrew L.
(Login ganagati)
Paneristi

Thanks, John!

March 14 2017, 3:06 PM 

The watch is a 390 and is only 44mm. As much as I'd love a 372, it's beyond my limits.

If you think you may eventually end up at a 44mm PAM, one thing you could do to test your comfort with it is to purchase an homage relatively cheaply off an auction site or another forum. Wear it around the house for a couple days and see if it grows on you. If it does - the hunt for a real one begins. If not, you're out less than what a nice strap would cost you.

Respond to this message   
JohnFM7
(Login hesalitedome)

Ah yes, the chocolate dial and gold hands!

March 14 2017, 4:46 PM 

Beautiful 390 Andrew! I suspect a 47mm Panerai is also beyond my limits. But I'm testing them wink.gif

It's kind of interesting because some rank Radiomir cases as 'wearing' smallest with their wire lugs and Luminor 1950 cases as largest with their crown guard. Others argue that the Radiomirs 'look' biggest because of the dial shape, while a 372 looks a bit smaller since it's surrounded by more metal. Despite the size of these large Panerais, many seem willing to make an exception to their preference for smaller watches since size is integral to Panerai's history and design.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index