<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Traveling to South Africa

March 15 2017 at 1:44 AM
Phil  (Login philwongnz)
Paneristi
from IP address 92.233.76.187

Hi all

I will be going to SA shortly, one thing my GF have told me to do is don't wear a watch there (she was born and grew up there).

I have heard Jo'burg can be sketchy but Cape Town should be much safer. Do you guys have any opinions on this?

I am posting here just to get some opinions as she doesn't read the forum wink.gif

Thanks a lot.

Phil

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Beef
(Login FLS2K)
Paneristi

I'd listen to the person born and raised there. nt

March 15 2017, 2:50 AM 

Sunny Florida, USA

photo 9446FF63-7C01-482A-8BB3-C00B91524939_zps7iwrrt8d.jpg

photo DF4A95AE-7B14-403F-868F-9083B964C359_zpslc0lu9na.jpg

Respond to this message   

LACrows
(Login LACrows)
Paneristi

Been to South Africa a couple of times

March 15 2017, 4:57 AM 

Never took a valuable watch. Just Swatch.

Cape Town should be OK, and you'll probably spend most of your time in Joburg behind a wall and razor wire, but why risk it?

Probably good advice from your GF. Plenty of horror stories, so don't make yourself more of a target.

- Q -

Respond to this message   
Rob
(Login creebsta)

South African Risti

March 15 2017, 10:44 AM 

Hi Phil

I have lived in South Africa all my life. I currently reside in Johannesburg and visit family and friends in Durban and Cape Town regularly. I wear my Pam's day and night without hesitation.

The adage of avoiding certain parts of cities in the world is continuously preached and Cape Town and Johannesburg are no different.

The bottom line is that South Africa is safe provided you are aware of your surrounds and do not venture into seedy suburbs after dark.

If you're looking for a few ideas on what to see while here I can be of assistance. I'd also hate for you to travel all the way here and not visit the only Panerai Boutique in Africa (in Sandton City Johannesburg) Alexi and his team will take good care of you there!

I hope this helps. Feel free to get in touch with me if you have any other questions about Sunny South Africa.

Best
Rob

Respond to this message   
Gavin Angel
(Login drangel)
Paneristi

Re: Traveling to South Africa

March 15 2017, 1:06 PM 

Hi
Just like Rob, I have lived in Johannesburg my whole life. I wear my PAM's every day without an issue.
Just like any big city, there are places to avoid and Johannesburg is no different. You need to be aware of crime and not make yourself an obvious target which goes for any city that I have ever travelled to as well.
The tourist/business areas in Northern Johannesburg are safe.
There are amazing places to eat, coffee shops, shopping centres etc in our rapidly growing city, which is way more 1st word and developed then you will imagine. (You will see when you arrive).
Cape Town is fantastic and an amazing place to visit and see. I am, of course, biased but it truly is the most beautiful city in the world and I have travelled extensively.
So, just take general travel precautions, and if you are unsure about going somewhere, just ask someone at your hotel etc as people are very friendly and helpful, and you should be absolutely fine.
If you need any travel advise, just ask
Enjoy
Gavin

Respond to this message   
Phil
(Login philwongnz)
Paneristi

Re: Traveling to South Africa

March 15 2017, 3:06 PM 

I have heard great things about SA.

Everyone I spoke to have said the food and drinks are amazing there.

The sceneries I have heard are breath taking. But like you I am biased, so I will need to compare to New Zealand - where I grew up wink.gif

Respond to this message   
Phil
(Login philwongnz)
Paneristi

Thank you all

March 15 2017, 3:02 PM 

Thank you all for your comments

Rob, I will be over for a weekend only in Jo'burg. Would love to buy you a beer for your great tips.

Pls reach out to me on phil@arttem.co.uk as I can't see any emails on your profile.

Cheers

Phil

Respond to this message   
Mike
(Login mlcdmd)
Paneristi

Go with a cheaper replaceable option

March 15 2017, 7:05 PM 

Nothing could be worse than getting your pam jacked and then having the gf say those dreaded four words, "I told you so!"
Mike...NYC. My collection so far is a 312 and some cool straps.

Respond to this message   
Pat le Pirate
(Login PatlePirate)
Paneristi

Risti from CT

March 16 2017, 2:16 PM 

Hi Phil,

Let me know if you are coming in CT, welcome! It's so rare here, only met one other local!

I am wearing my PAM in town everywhere. Few people know Panerai and in general petty crime is really low in the city.
Now with two exceptions: When walking at night, just avoid being drunk on Long Street with your PAM or with your iPhone + if you take the train (but you won't) and that's really it.

Trust the locals, to some extent. We met many privileged South Africans who were overly scared and stressed about security. They live behind high fences and do not mix up with other social groups, making them quite distant and disconnected to the real life. Despite the huge inequality, it's still very quiet.

My hidden gem tip: Go during the week (weekend a bit too crowded) to The Gin Bar, hidden behind Honest Chocolate, 64A Wale Street. And visit the art galleries in Woodstock (Stevenson, Goodman) then go to the Biscuit Mill on a Sturday for brunch.

Pat

https://theculturetrip.com/africa/south-africa/articles/south-africa-s-10-best-contemporary-art-galleries/
[linked image]

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index