<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

P.3000 movement winding sound

April 14 2017 at 8:31 PM
JohnFM7  (Login hesalitedome)
from IP address 73.92.107.83

I just purchased a beautiful new 673. It's my first 47mm Panerai and I'm beginning to understand the passion and enthusiasm for this brand (my only other Panerai is a 564).

I have one question and concern, however. When I wind the watch normally with thumb and forefinger, the sound and feel are smooth and quiet. If I wind more quickly with only my index finger from below, the sound is slightly harsh and raspy -- not horrible like something is broken, but just not as smooth and quiet. I don't experience this with the 564, which sounds pretty much the same no matter how its wound.

I've heard that the grittier sound could be external (crown rubbing slightly on crown guard due to upwards pressure with one finger winding) or internal (crown stem related). I've also been advised that it's better to wind with two fingers for more even pressure, though I also know a Panerai watchmaker who believes that index finger winding shouldn't be a problem.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has experienced this slightly rougher sound with one finger winding. By the way, I'm pretty gentle and careful with things, but it is easier to wind faster with one finger than two.

Thanks!
John

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Kit
(Login 71eh)
Paneristi

Should be fine

April 14 2017, 10:43 PM 

As far as I know there are slight difference between old p3k and newer one. Even older one there are few minor mod they tweaked. If I may you may be too sensitive but should be alright. If your time accuracy is a way off, suggest to drop it to service center of Panera to check up. Since so new hardly doubt they will charge any. Great watch my friend.
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
JohnFM7
(Login hesalitedome)

Thanks Kit

April 15 2017, 6:47 PM 

I'm sure you're right -- the watch is beautiful and, no doubt, working as it should. Not to mention that these are mechanical devices and each will have its own 'personality'. Your psychological insight is also excellent. With anything new, I'm sensitive and on the look-out for any small thing that may be less than perfect. After a few weeks, I return to a state of semi-normalcy wink.gif

Respond to this message   

Tony
(Login achtung6)

Mine does this as well.

April 15 2017, 3:52 PM 

John, with my watch it almost seems like the unusual sound comes when I try to wind it very quickly and also when the watch has been stopped. When the watch has to be wound from zero or completely stopped, I find this happens. If I wind it every day then it's less noticeable.
Tony

Respond to this message   
JohnFM7
(Login hesalitedome)

Good to hear Tony

April 15 2017, 6:53 PM 

The 673 is still so new that I don't have a sense of whether the noise is louder when the watch is unwound, but I'll check that. You're also right that the raspy sound is only there if I wind quickly with one finger. Very smooth and quiet otherwise. Appreciate the input!

Respond to this message   

Pakal
(Login pakal)
Paneristi

NO first time questions without a pic !

April 15 2017, 7:50 PM 

Show us the beauty ! I am pretty much sure I'll be able to troubleshoot the problem by looking at the watch , hahahaa !!!
P_

Respond to this message   
JohnFM7
(Login hesalitedome)

673 photos

April 16 2017, 4:11 AM 

Here you go Pakal:

Panerai 673 (1) photo 0c04d1f8-a12f-4820-8563-c76fba68ed1e.jpg

Panerai 673 (2) photo IMG_3036.jpg

photo 3d429a1e-a08e-4972-9709-b81dfe1ebe82.jpg

Respond to this message   

Pakal