<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

NOS...what a shame

June 12 2017 at 12:24 PM

372Love  (Login 11years)
Paneristi
from IP address 24.3.151.113

Kind of funny how many ads you see now for "new old stock", or watches that have been sitting in a safe unworn for years. It presents a great opportunity for people wishing to buy now, but it's kind of a shame how many people deprived themselves of wearing and enjoying a watch thinking they would be a strong investment.
Real estate and stocks are for investing...wear your watches people!
That's all

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Paul
(Login paulee53)

I couldn't agree more

June 12 2017, 12:46 PM 

Watches are for wearing and to me there is no enjoyment in leaving them in a safe

Respond to this message   

372Love
(Login 11years)
Paneristi

Right

June 12 2017, 1:14 PM 

I realize it's up to the individual, but it just seems silly to set aside something that is going down in value in most cases.

Respond to this message   
DON
(Login DONAG)
Paneristi

One could have bought a NOS 9A back in 2001 for $2000 >>

June 12 2017, 2:09 PM 

And I have seen them sell for close to $20,000 some years ago. Today?

My 9B cost me $1500 - value today? (although I wore mine)

a 0000 G series logo in 2005 was $3100 - today $4700? - better for the wearer than investor really

These people are not being deprived. They buy as an investment which is why they're stuck away. Smart buyers know which to buy. All investments are a crap shoot. Sometimes you get lucky and buy the right ones. Sometimes not.

I sold my regular Rolex 5513 to buy my 9B

DON
3333.JPG

Respond to this message   
Juan
(Login btocamelo)
Paneristi

Re: One could have bought a NOS 9A back in 2001 for $2000 >>

June 12 2017, 7:40 PM 

Don ... some great points which I always think about when purchasing a watch. My reference is my father's 1675 Rolex GMT Master ... I was with him when he bought it at the Miami AD for $550.00 in 1974! ... the old man really used the hell out of it, banged it up, would do yard work with it, jump in the ocean, etc ... still that watch is probably worth $3K to $4K ... sadly, he had no idea back then about keeping boxes and papers.

I'm somewhat half/half ... I purchase for the joy of wearing it, but I try not to purchase a model that I feel will have a lower resale value in the future ... being a man of limited means, reselling is how I recoup funds to purchase other pieces.

1. so why do Rolex hold or increase in value?

2. how does this investment thinking translate to Panerai? ... a maker that is based on production numbers, yet produces so many different models? ... are tritium dials valued? Pre-V models? Any of the automatic movements models rare and collectible?

Respond to this message   
DON
(Login DONAG)
Paneristi

Not all Rolex are collectable

June 12 2017, 9:40 PM 

Old Rolex in nice condition are collectible, but doesn't mean valuable. Lot of vintage around at reasonable prices.

The collectible are the sports models as they tend to be the most popular and the variations etc.

While a Datejust is popular. it will not hold its value as much as a Submariner model

Investment in Panerai today is a no go really. It was the early models - '93 logos, Mares, pre-v and early V models. After those. A very limited model that has meaning. 195 or 360

Tritium which is no longer used adds value. Something that is no longer available usually will increase some or a lot or not at all

Any watch will increase in value as long as the company is popular and they increase the prices of their watches which has a pull up effect on the previous models

If the prices from '98 were the same original retail as today. Watches would be low priced, but as retail prices rose. It increases the value of previous models (not including the earlier models which rose due to supply and demand.

My G series base logo is worth more for 3 reasons. 1) - price rose $1600? over the original cost, 2) The dial changed from L Swiss L to L Swiss made L, so only 500 of this model and 3) A number used this model to DLC coat reducing the number of original models

DON
3333.JPG

Respond to this message   
Juan
(Login btocamelo)
Paneristi

Re: Not all Rolex are collectable

June 12 2017, 9:58 PM 

Definitely the Datejusts are somewhat "dime a dozen" .. to use the term loosely ... the sports models definitely have increased, some models more than others ... Red Submariner and Sea Dwellers ... the 1655 Steve McQueen is a prime example of an ugly watch no one wanted ... try to get one now!... and various iterations of dials from that time

I feel there may be some PAM models with unique movements which may improve over time .. such as those chronographs that used Zenith movements and the 190 used the JLC 8-day, the Fred Piquet movement in the 045, the Lemania 1872 inside the PAM192

Respond to this message   
Laurent
(Login Pam009T)
Paneristi

Yes but No... perhaps

June 12 2017, 7:37 PM 

I agree of course watches are made to be worn, but admit that in your collection some are in the drawer for years and it is usually always the same(s), you bought it because you wanted it but your wrist isn't really made for it, even if you found it beautiful.. And then luckily there are people who store, it's great and fantastic to be able to find a Rolex 5513 of 1980 absolutely new, never worn, its unique! The only problem is that we hesitate to wear it ...

Respond to this message   

372Love
(Login 11years)
Paneristi

Actually, no

June 12 2017, 9:48 PM 

I only have a couple watches which I don't wear regularly, but I used to wear them often and they are keepsakes because they were gifts.
If I bought a watch and felt it wasn't for me, it would be sold immediately. To each their own....just think it's a shame to hold some of these pieces and not enjoy them.

Respond to this message   
vintageguy3
(Login vintageguy3)
Paneristi

agree

June 12 2017, 11:55 PM 

my motto, if you don't wear it, sell it.

Respond to this message   

Gregesq
(Login Gregesq)
Paneristi

good thread nt.

June 12 2017, 9:09 PM 

201/A-217-249-339-368-372-449-508-587

Respond to this message   
DON
(Login DONAG)
Paneristi

You guys are missing the point >>

June 13 2017, 2:31 AM 

The watches are being bought and stored for later resale and profit. These people are not worried about being deprived.

People who buy these NOS are most likely going to do the same and store it away until they decide to sell

Pick your poison. Done with everything

DON
3333.JPG

Respond to this message   
Juan
(Login btocamelo)
Paneristi

Kinda like buying a #1 Superman Action Comics book ...

June 13 2017, 3:36 AM 

or first time appearance of Batman on DC Comics ... most guys that own these, never even open them up or have read these comic books ... wink.gif ... they are holding for a later date to sell

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index