<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Travelling to Germany (Dusseldorf and Berlin)

June 14 2017 at 9:59 PM
Paul  (Login Mississauga_risti)
Paneristi
from IP address 104.204.122.9

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to be in Dusseldorf for business and have the opportunity to go to Berlin for a weekend. Before I randomly pick a hotel in Berlin, I was wondering if this well travelled group had any suggestions? Ideally the hotel would have some style and be centrally located so that I can walk around, do some street photography and get to know the city on foot.

Also, if there's anyone in/around Dusseldorf and would like to join me for an Alt, please let me know (I start salivating as soon as I think about the Schumacher .....). It would be cool to hook up, talk watches and meet another Paneristi. I fly from Toronto on June 17, and would be able to connect in Dusseldorf from June 19-22, then I'm going to Berlin from June 23-25, back in Dusseldorf from June 26-29, fly home on June 30.

Thanks for any ideas/advice.

Be amazing folks!

- Paul

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

DesmoFan
(Login DesmoFan)
Paneristi

I have no constructive suggestions...

June 14 2017, 11:43 PM 

but I have to say, you just brought back some great memories for me. I lived in Dusseldorf for a "work/study" semester once upon a time. The Alt Beer was significantly cheaper than bottled water and the nectar of the Gods. Many good times were had LOL. The meat & potatoes diet of the region didn't exactly disagree with me either. I ate like a king every day at the factory/office cafeteria, nothing like what we would have here in the U.S. if such a thing even existed.

Have a great time, take/share many pics, and be sure to eat as many Doner Kebabs as possible.

Respond to this message   
Paul
(Login Mississauga_risti)
Paneristi

Have to agree....the food and drink are tasty there! :-)

June 15 2017, 1:58 PM 

Respond to this message   
Gorilla Wrists
(Login Gorilla_Wrists)

I have nothing to add but...

June 15 2017, 2:22 PM 

With Desmo's description, now I I wish I was going!! Have fun!!

Respond to this message   

Rapers
(Login rapers)
Paneristi

Berlin is a terrific city!..................

June 16 2017, 4:23 PM 

I spent a month in Berlin back in 1965 when I was 15 and studying German. I then went back 40 years later in 2005 with my youngest daughter who was about to take public exams in German too - a very different place, following the removal of The Wall.

If you do get to Berlin, buy yourself a Tageskarte - a daily ticket which gives you unrestricted travel on buses, trams, the U-Bahn, and the S-Bahn. Getting around the city by public transport is very easy and it works brilliantly, in true German fashion.

In no particular order, try to see (a good guidebook will expand):-
The Brandenburg Gate
The Deutsches Museum
The Reichstagsgebaude
Schloss Charlottenburg
The Funkturm
The Siegessaule
The Kurfurstendamm (Ku'dam) - one of Berlin's most important streets
The Kaiser Wilhelm Gedachtniskirche
KaDeWe (Kaufhaus des Westens) - huge department store
Checkpoint Charlie - nothing like as bleak as it was when I saw it in 1965. Some remains of The Wall can be found nearby.

Being Jewish, I was also keen to see
The Jewish Museum - Daniel Liebeskind's architecture is stunning
The Holocaust Memorial - very simple, but very effective, memorial next to the Brandenburg Gate

Can't remember any more. Have fun!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index