<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Pam 111 Issue...

June 15 2017 at 3:52 PM
Hampton   (Login hwest1013)
Paneristi
from IP address 66.242.228.254

Hello my fellow ristis! I have a quick question I was hoping one of the old pros could help me out with. I recently purchased a Pam 111 under warranty. I've really enjoyed it. Over the first few months I've owned it I noticed it was randomly dying overnight after a full charge (at least I think so) the previous morning. I wind my watches every morning. This happened 8-10 times before I realized something's not right and sent it to Ft. Worth for service. Ft. Worth receives the watch, I speak with them and they inform me that they are "adjusting the rate of the movement," and doing "maintenance service -- CAL 6497." So, I'm thinking great, they found the problem and are fixing it.

So, I received my watch back from service Tuesday and am all excited. I give it a full charge Tuesday and it's keeping awesome time and running like a champ. Awesome. I wind it Wednesday morning (and even wound it a few times during the day Wednesday to ensure it was fully wound) and all good...or so I thought. I woke up this morning and the watch died at 6am. Totally dead. The spring was totally unwound and had no resistance when I began charging it after it died.

Am I doing something wrong here? The 111 has a 56 hour power reserve. I don't get why it died last night after a full charge. I wind it until there is significant resistance. I don't think I can wind it anymore without hitting the backstop.

Any thoughts on what I should do? Again, am I doing something wrong? I don't think I am. I just don't think it should be dying after being charged the previous morning. Any advice would be much appreciated!! Many thanks, Hampton

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Beef
(Login FLS2K)
Paneristi

You say...

June 15 2017, 3:59 PM 

"I don't think I can wind it anymore without hitting the backstop."

This seems to indicate you're not winding until it stops. If that's the case you may very well be underwinding by a large degree. Don't be afraid to wind until it stops. You can't do any harm unless you're winding like a wild animal. 😃 Let us know how it goes.

Respond to this message   
Hampton
(Login hwest1013)
Paneristi

Pam 111

June 15 2017, 4:06 PM 

Beef -- many thanks for your response. I was always under the impression that it was harmful to wind until it hit the backstop. Is that not true? I was always under the impression that you were supposed to wind until you feel significant resistance. I am always very careful when winding. I'm going to start winding more I guess and see what that does. I guess it's possible that I'm not winding enough. I just can't imagine they sent it back with the same problem. And, FWIW, Panerai team in Ft. Worth is the best. Such kind ladies there.

I appreciate your suggestion and am going to wind more and report back.

Respond to this message   
Gorilla Wrists
(Login Gorilla_Wrists)

Good answer Beef

June 15 2017, 4:08 PM 

I was typing the same haha happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Gorilla Wrists
(Login Gorilla_Wrists)

"Significant Resistance...."

June 15 2017, 4:07 PM 

When you say significant resistance, do you wind until it stops? With my manual wind watches (including my 112) there's a very obvious sign when you've fully wound it - you cannot turn the crown anymore or something will clearly break. I only ask as I've read many threads where someone just isn't winding enough. Panerai's have a 50-some hour reserve, so it takes quite a lot of winding from stopped to max it (my 112 gets over 60). If it'll keep winding, keep going, you won't break it.

Part of why I love manual wind watches is knowing they won't die overnight so this would certainly be a frustrating issue. As you've just had it serviced, it should be in great shape. If you're fully winding it, you may need to send it back again - should be covered under warranty.

Good luck! Keep us updated!

Respond to this message   
Hampton
(Login hwest1013)
Paneristi

"Significant Resistance"

June 15 2017, 4:22 PM 

I appreciate your response! When I say significant resistance, I do not mean winding until it is forced to stop. I mean winding until the crown pushes back harder and harder with each wind and the "clicks" from the wind get shorter and shorter. I suppose I stop winding before hitting the backstop out of fear that it will hurt the watch. If you guys are saying that "fully wound" means hitting the backstop, then I am not doing that every morning and that must be the issue. Again, I was always under the impression that hitting the backstop was bad for the watch (mistakenly). I just wound it until it hit the backstop and will do so from here on out. I guess if it craps out over night again after winding until the backstop I will know something is wrong with it. I will keep everyone updated. Considering it was just serviced, I would have to imagine that it is running like a top.

Again, I can't thank you guys enough for the advice. This is such a wonderful community. Cheers! -- Hampton

Respond to this message   

Micah
(Login micah372)
Paneristi

Wind it till it won't wind any longer and see how long it goes.

June 15 2017, 4:34 PM 

Others are right, just wind it until the crown won't turn any more, no harm done to the watch at all. It should run for at least a full 24 hours on one winde I believe, perhaps even longer, I seem to get about a day-and-a-half out of mine.

facebook.png instagram.png twitter.png tumblr.png flickr.png pinterest.png googleplus.png

Respond to this message   
Hampton
(Login hwest1013)
Paneristi

Re: Wind it till it won't wind any longer and see how long it goes.

June 15 2017, 4:42 PM 

Micah -- thanks for the response. I am going to wind until it stops and see if the problem remains. If so, I will know that I still have a problem. When you say it should run at least 24 hours on one wind, do you mean one complete wind? Again, many thanks here guys!

Respond to this message   

Micah
(Login micah372)
Paneristi

Correct, I don't know the detailed run times for full winds or anything but...

June 15 2017, 5:13 PM 

My experience is that a full wind on most of my PAMs is good for 24 to 36 hours of run time before the watch dies.

If you fully wind it in the morning and it's dead at bedtime, for instance, you have a problem IMO.

facebook.png instagram.png twitter.png tumblr.png flickr.png pinterest.png googleplus.png

Respond to this message   
Hampton
(Login hwest1013)
Paneristi

Correct, I don't know the detailed run times for full winds or anything but...

June 15 2017, 5:20 PM 

Thanks for the response!

Respond to this message   

Pakal
(Login pakal)
Paneristi

You're probably not winding it enough

June 15 2017, 7:59 PM 

My 111 takes approximately 60 full rotation from zero to full wound. This number is of course an approximation, since it difficult to explain how much 1 wound is. BtW wind it until you know you can't wind it no more.

Respond to this message   
Hampton
(Login hwest1013)
Paneristi

You're probably not winding it enough

June 15 2017, 8:41 PM 

Pakal -- I appreciate your input! I'll let you guys know if it dies again after fully winding. All the best.

Respond to this message   
jr
(Login 9-3Aero)
Paneristi

Re: Pam 111 Issue...

June 18 2017, 2:13 AM 

My 005 takes about 40 winds to be fully wound.
Power reserve is a bit more than 48hrs every time, and yes sometimes close to 56hrs.

Respond to this message   

Pakal
(Login pakal)
Paneristi

Did you figure it out !!?!? (nt)

June 20 2017, 4:34 PM 

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index