<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Beware of paypal scam!

August 7 2017 at 5:09 PM

Brady  (Login soulrider911)
Paneristi
from IP address 204.14.239.137

I guess these are becoming more and more common. I just thought i would share my experience. So a buyer found my listing on Craigslist -FIRST RED FLAG - he and i talk back and forth through text, and he even went as far as telling me other PAM's he had purchased...

This guy was pretty good... He even called me to confirm my first and last name!

So he seemed real, genuine, etc... Explains to me he lives in Miami but will be at a business convention in NIgeria??? and to send it to an address there. I then tell him i will send an invoice. He says no, he will just send me funds??? Kinda odd right? Ao he sends funds over, and upon first glance looks legit... WELL IT WAS NOT AT ALL. Take a look at the attached pic.

The headline alone is a dead giveaway, as Paypal would never use all caps and "***" in an email header.

Long story short i almost bought it and shipped a watch and would have been out over 7k. Glad i was smart about it however and lesson learned.
scam

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Matt Reynolds
(Login mreynoldsuk)
Paneristi

I'm not following, can you clarify...

August 7 2017, 9:32 PM 

how this would fool someone? Is the email supposedly from PP? So a spoofed email? Would you not login to PP and check that the funds were actually in your account rather than rely on an email?

Sorry if I'm missing something, just keen to understand how this scam works.

I would only accept PP from someone with great references and after a significant amount of due dliligence.

Respond to this message   

Craig F
(Login Cr4ig)
Paneristi

Good info! And good catch!

August 7 2017, 10:22 PM 

Always a good idea to look in paypal for the fund and not rely on an email, as you of course know. Also, if the money is sent for goods, and not as gift, the buyer can put you through all sorts of hell.
-Craig F

Respond to this message   

Pakal
(Login pakal)
Paneristi

Thanks for the headsup

August 8 2017, 2:04 AM 

But let's just put it this way : you would have won the nobel prize for the foolest seller ever if you had just relied a 7K$ sales on a fake email.
Shipping to Nigeria ............... ahahahahaah !
p_

Respond to this message   

Peter Fruehling
(Login Acro-Pilot)
Forum moderators

IMHO, PayPal is NOT for buying or selling watches...

August 8 2017, 6:27 AM 

There are just too many opportunities for payment reversals and claims to trust with anything more than a strap or something similar. I use PayPal almost every week and will continue to do so for smaller purchase or selling something worth a few hundred dollars.

Again, just my opinion but if you buyer won't send you a wire or your seller is requiring you to use PayPal, move on.
- Peter

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Matt Reynolds
(Login mreynoldsuk)
Paneristi

I hear you but...

August 8 2017, 9:55 AM 

it cuts both ways. If a seller will only accept bank transfer then there is zero risk on the seller and this places all of the risk on the buyer. I think the key thing for me is to complete due diligence on any respective seller or buyer. We always say "buy the seller & not the watch," - same applies equally to a buyer. A little bit of time spent getting to know your buyer/seller can save much trouble further down the line.

Respond to this message   

eric s.
(Login hkgweilo)
High Heid Yin

Yes, but...you should listed to Peter. PayPal is not for watches.

August 8 2017, 10:31 AM 

It's a generally accepted practice that buyers take the risk.

Personally, I demand 100% wire transfer payment upfront. If someone doesn't like that, then I don't sell to them. I would never accept PayPal for anything I cannot afford to lose, they're service is terrible. Checks..forget it.

Even wires, you need to be careful that it's really a wire and not a "bank deposit"...where someone deposits a check into your bank, it shows up as a "deposit". You think the wire came in and ship...but in reality, the check will bounce.

I don't need to "buy the buyer" because as long as the money is really there, I will sell to anyone... wink.gif

There are more ways for a seller to swindle you (fake watch, mis-described, no watch)...that's why vetting the seller is more critical.

Respond to this message   
Matt Reynolds
(Login mreynoldsuk)
Paneristi

Paypal is for watches...

August 8 2017, 11:03 AM 

as I've bought plenty of them using PP. Wire is always better, as is F2F, but if done right there is no issue with PayPal. Just my humble opinion btw, based on years of buying/selling using PP with zero issues.

Respond to this message   

clive
(Login clivejoel)
Paneristi

Paypal

August 8 2017, 11:26 AM 

Never use PayPal for any purchases over $1000. You as the buyer are not covered and leave yourself open to been fleeced.

Respond to this message   

Hammer
(Login ThunderDownUnder)
High Heid Yin

I'm Lost ? Pay ya Pal ? How else would I get any ? I always pay pals 🤷‍♀️(nt)

August 8 2017, 3:06 PM 

From my "Heart of Hearts", for any Help, Support or Simply "Spreading" the WORD ..........

!!!!!!!! Thank You So MUCH !!!!!!!!

http://hammer.swda.org.au/

happy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gif PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LEND A HAND ANYWAY YOU CAN happy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gif

"If I can encourage one person with a disability to be active and live well, and if I can tell them about a product or service that will help them achieve that, then thats a great day for me".

So much MORE than just a Watch wink.gif

What Watch ,, it's the M8TES behind my brand that I LOVE ,, the Watch is just the GPS wink.gifwink.gif

A decade on ,, I COPY it now ,, More than EVER b4 >> it's a PANERAI behind every Panerai is a PANERISTI happy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gif

And dat , SIMPLY blows me away ,, U Bet....................... BBQ Drew RIP wink.gif
[linked image][linked image] Feel the Passion ,, Respect the DNA ,, Cheers Beers ,,, Hoo Roo Hammer happy.gifsad.gif
Photobucket Pictures, Images and PhotosPhotobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Respond to this message   

Stockae92
(Login stockae92)
Paneristi

Man, that's a lot of work for texting, talking, creating that email ...

August 9 2017, 12:07 AM 

And a high probability of an unsuccessful scam, because (I thought) people would always log into their paypal account to verify the fund and retrieve shipping address.

Of course, they can also try to get your paypal login by a fake login page.

but man, still, that's a lot of work. They get a new level of respect from me for commitment of quality of scam .... NOT!

:D

Respond to this message   

Dave
(Login peezie)
Paneristi

All you had to hear was Nigeria

August 9 2017, 2:07 AM 

Then chuck up the deuces.
176L

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index