<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Any aging risti punks out there?

August 8 2017 at 3:14 PM
Mike  (Login mlcdmd)
Paneristi
from IP address 108.21.228.40

Caught one of the better shows I've seen in a long while this Sunday at Coney island.

Rancid, bouncing souls, and drop kick Murphy's are doing the "Boston to Berkeley

All the hits, frenetic pace, and amazing energy for dudes that have been at it twenty plus years!

And some great covers as an encore.

If you can score tickets I'd totally worth it.
Mike...NYC. My collection so far is a 312 and some cool straps.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Rapers
(Login rapers)
Paneristi

Too old to be a punk....

August 8 2017, 4:39 PM 

Paul Anka, Del Shannon, Gene Vincent, and Ricky Vallance more my scene.
Look them up in your Funk & Wagnall (oh memories of Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In).

Coney Island's been around a while, hasn't it?
Went to see "On The Town" in London a few weeks ago - originally produced in 1944 and a lot of the action involves Coney Island.

ATB

Respond to this message   
Mike
(Login mlcdmd)
Paneristi

Nah, is a state of mind!

August 8 2017, 6:01 PM 

But I'm onto those guys too! Heard a lot of it in my mom's car growing up.

And I missed the originals of laugh in, but saw that scene in re runs

Coney island has been a tourist and beech spot since forever. The cyclone roller coaster has been in operation since the twenties. Still a great spot for a hot dog at the original Nathan's!

Respond to this message   

Ralph
(Login tsunami2000)
Forum moderators

An over the hill punk here

August 8 2017, 6:00 PM 

Early to mid 80's Chicago scene. Wax Traxx Records. Big Black. Rights of the Accused. Pegboy...

I haven't seen DKM since 2001. It was a great show in a small theater.

Try to catch Dead Heavens if you can. They are aging punks from New York doing a bluesy post punk thing. Walter Schreifels (Gorilla Biscuits, Youth of Today), Paul Kostabi (Youth Gone Mad, White Zombie, Psychotica), Drew Thomas (Youth of Today), Nathan Aguilar (Cults).
Ask about my loyalty program.

Erleichda! Pura Vida!

Respond to this message   
Mike
(Login mlcdmd)
Paneristi

That's some pedigree!

August 8 2017, 6:21 PM 

I'll look them up.

I grew up more on ska punk wave so a lot of bosstones, less than Jake, nofx, and some of the hardcore stuff from ny.

Always wondered how or why people would go see aging bands, but man they still got it

Respond to this message   

Kevin O'Dell
(Login kevin5)

Gotta check them out...

August 11 2017, 2:45 AM 

I was into Youth of Today and GB.

Respond to this message   

MattyMac
(Login MattyMac)
Paneristi

Sounds Cool!

August 9 2017, 12:20 AM 

I was a amateur skater in my high school years in Wisconsin. Punk/Hardcore sort of went with that. Went to plenty of shows in various basements and dives throughout Wisconsin.

Bad Religion, 7 Seconds, Big Drill Car, NOFX, Offspring, Pegboy, Pennywise, Suicidal and so on. Listen to a lot a wide range of music now, but I still like to put on the punk stuff and get nostalgic.

Only Ska show I saw was Animal Kingdom and Rancid . Saw them in Green Bay around 1992.
Matt aka "MattyMac"...on the Emerald Coast of Florida

[linked image][linked image]

Respond to this message   
Mike
(Login mlcdmd)
Paneristi

It really pinpoints a specific time

August 9 2017, 12:56 AM 

Takes me right back to certain points in my life. Caught a couple of good warped tour summers too. Lot of those same bands.

Respond to this message   

MattyMac
(Login MattyMac)
Paneristi

Warped...

August 10 2017, 1:29 AM 

For the guys who followed the bands from the start, the Warped Tour was sort of the beginning of the end. The first couple Warped Tour were pretty cool, but it turned it to a Pop Thing with very quickly. I look back and it was crazy times. The scene was so underground when I got into skating and music in the late 80s. It became just Pop music by the mid 90s and then just fizzled out soon after. Of course I was now older and had expanded what music I listened to so much by then, didn't really matter, but that music really takes me back to a time and place when things were simpler and there was that freedom of youth..puts a smile on my face. Amazing how I can recite lyrics when I havent heard a song in 20+ years.
Matt aka "MattyMac"...on the Emerald Coast of Florida

[linked image][linked image]

Respond to this message   
Jack
(Login CarsandChronos)

Cool thread...

August 9 2017, 1:40 PM 

I saw Rancid and Dropkick both in the late 90's. Lots of cool shows over the years...saw the Bosstones more than any other band, probably 10 times.

Respond to this message   
Mike
(Login mlcdmd)
Paneristi

missing them is a big regret of mine

August 9 2017, 2:53 PM 

someday i suppose?

Respond to this message   

Sgtdon
(Login DonnieD)
Paneristi

I leave you with this story from Chiraq

August 9 2017, 1:40 PM 

CHICAGO — A suspect is in custody after two people were stabbed in Northerly Island, police said.

Police said the two were stabbed around 9:30 p.m. Tuesday.

The victims were in an argument with a male inside of a bar area that spilled out into the concert venue, police said. The offender pulled out a knife and stabbed the male victim, 29, in the face and neck. The offender also stabbed a female victim, 34, in the abdomen, police said.

Police said the victims were transported to the hospital in stable condition.

Charges are pending.

A Dropkick Murphys and Rancid concert was taking place at the time of the incident.

****LAST TIME I WENT TO A DROPKICK MURPHYS SHOW WAS ABOUT 6 YRS AGO AND NOTHING BUT A BUNCH OF NUTS WERE THERE. THROWING FULL CANS OF BEERS AT PEOPLE FROM THE TOP BALCONY OF THE THE CONGRESS THEATER ONTO THE GENERAL ADMISSION PEOPLE IS NOT MY IDEA OF FUN****

STAY SAFE,
SGTDON

Respond to this message   
Mike
(Login mlcdmd)
Paneristi

damn that's terrible!

August 9 2017, 2:59 PM 

and that's the tour i saw in coney island sunday.

sadly i've seen it in the past and i can't imagine why people spend the money to go and see the show and then get loaded up and fight. i know there are fringe bands that promote it and glorify it but luckily there was a very positive crowd at the show i went to. also, for 12 to 15 bucks a beer, no one was using them as ammo!

i hope a lot of the fan base will mature as it ages and see that this is more about inclusion and empathy and music and not violence.

good luck out there!

Respond to this message   

dp
(Login fullcourt1)
Paneristi

....idiots

August 9 2017, 3:45 PM 

ufPDgnB.gif
V2YsosI.jpg
09sBsY9.jpg?3

dp
just living the dream
chicago, usa
'more than just a watch'....

Respond to this message   
Greg
(Login gregcar)
Paneristi

Aging punk here for sure

August 9 2017, 3:30 PM 

Hope you enjoyed the show Mike

I love Ramones, MC5, Iggy Pop, Stiff Little Fingers, Misfits, Dead Boys, just to name a few!!!

Respond to this message   
Mike
(Login mlcdmd)
Paneristi

actually jake burns opened!

August 9 2017, 4:49 PM 

sadly we missed his set due to long lines and grabbing a bite before the show.

Respond to this message   

Adam
(Login adam164)

Re: Any aging risti punks out there?

August 9 2017, 10:47 PM 

Was a into punk in a massive way in the 70s, I got to see all the bands, The Clash, Damned, SLF etc. Later I saw all the newer wave of bands in a small club near where I live. Crass, Discharge, Dead Kennedys, Exploited, and loads more.

Fast forward to this year's Glastonbury. My friend, who's a music journalist, suggested we go to see the Dead Kennedys rather than the Foo Fighters. Now as he knows people and people, next thing, we were onstage with them! To be stood at the side of the stage, watching them belt out all the classics, was a sight to behold. So a gap of 36 years since I first saw them, and they were still as manic as ever, even though it wasn't the original singer.

Respond to this message   
Mike
(Login mlcdmd)
Paneristi

Right person, right place, right time

August 9 2017, 11:00 PM 

So cool to see a favorite up close.

Once I ended up backstage for the bouncing souls at the warped tour...it was at a racetrack in Jersey and my friend's sister passed out from the heat as we were waiting for them to go on. Emergency staff picked her up over the barrier and I hopped over too. Got to watch the set while they tended to her. That was probably fifteen summers ago and they were just as good Sunday night!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index